carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #71
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
White over brown looks good. I wouldn't pick it personally, but it definitely pops. The red interior is just ... nope nope nope.

I also would not want logos in the headrests. That would drive me bonkers.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:54 PM   #72
JST

I agree that black wheels are done. I wouldn't want them on any color combo at this point; I have them for the snow tires on the M3 and even those I'm sick of (though one thing about black wheels is that curb rash is easier to touch up).

I personally couldn't do white or silver on a car like this (or any car, really, but especially a car like this). Too common, too bland. Just not special enough, especially on a car you're going to custom order and wait months for.

There's a Gentian Blue 911 at the local dealer and...I want to like it. I really do. But it's just too dark. Looks like the Tesla blue, which is also meh. Still, if I end up getting a color that isn't red, it will be that one.

I like the espresso interior a lot. I don't even mind red, actually. I don't especially want to pay the extra money for those interiors, but I like the way they look.

Me, personally? Definitely leaning toward the 80s classic guards red over black, with silver wheels.

If I were going to get white, I'd get espresso.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #73
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I agree that black wheels are done. I wouldn't want them on any color combo at this point; I have them for the snow tires on the M3 and even those I'm sick of (though one thing about black wheels is that curb rash is easier to touch up).

I personally couldn't do white or silver on a car like this (or any car, really, but especially a car like this). Too common, too bland. Just not special enough, especially on a car you're going to custom order and wait months for.

There's a Gentian Blue 911 at the local dealer and...I want to like it. I really do. But it's just too dark. Looks like the Tesla blue, which is also meh. Still, if I end up getting a color that isn't red, it will be that one.

I like the espresso interior a lot. I don't even mind red, actually. I don't especially want to pay the extra money for those interiors, but I like the way they look.

Me, personally? Definitely leaning toward the 80s classic guards red over black, with silver wheels.

If I were going to get white, I'd get espresso.
Good to know about Gentian. It strikes me as Tanzanite blue. Pretty in direct sunlight, but otherwise too dark. Thanks for the first-hand input. I was trying to like it (with silver wheels and perhaps a black & tan interior).

I dig it in white because it's warmish weather car. Mrs. FC thinks white with GTS is basically the exact spec of our GTI (this is true) and therefore dumb. She is also right to constantly ask, "You plan on keeping this car forever right? (Yes) So will you like this combination in 20 years?" That's why yellow and python green are out. A tad too crazy. She vetoed red interiors and I am not crazy about them.

I think I am down to:

1. Red with black interior (probably the GTS trim, but I really hate that it comes with fuzzy bits and adds CF trim making it pricey). I'm torn on black or silver wheels.
2. White with Espresso interior & top on silver wheels.

Not quite out of the running, White or GT Silver with black interior.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #74
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I just saw an orange Boxster today. It looked sharp to me. Nothing loud like that?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #75
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I just saw an orange Boxster today. It looked sharp to me. Nothing loud like that?
That's a good right now car. Not a good long-term color. If I were getting a track car toy my wife would never sit in, sure. But not for this car.

It's a shame there are no better blues as standard.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #76
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Huge fan of Lava.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #77
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Huge fan of Lava.
I don’t really like the other Porsche colors (except white). So for me it’s gotta be that lime green or lava.

The 987 is silver. It looks great when it’s clean. But doesn’t pop out though.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #78
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
I don’t really like the other Porsche colors (except white). So for me it’s gotta be that lime green or lava.

The 987 is silver. It looks great when it’s clean. But doesn’t pop out though.
My wife thinks it looks very sharp in silver with black wheels.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #79
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

That does look very sharp.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:31 PM   #80
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Definitely looks really sharp with the black wheels … I am a big fan of black wheels and completely disagree they are ‘out’, some here might not like them which is another story but there is a good reason many manufacturers are now offering them.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote