carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #51
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
driving out to the VW dealer I get a call from the mazda dealer and they were mistaken and they did have the 6MT skyactiv that I saw on the web
so I ended up driving both cars today.

VW TDI 6MT:

-Very surprised by the engine, had a lot more usable revs then I expected a diesel to have. Winding it out was actually kind of fun with it.
-MT seem ok to me, throws are long but abnormally long. Didn't mind it unlike the GTI 6MT I test drove before. After driving it I went and sat in a GTI and rowed the gears and it felt similar so not sure why I hated so much before, maybe because I had higher expectations since it is marketed as a more performance car.
-Didn't test the handling that much on my test drive, seemed ok, steering was overboosted but my M3 was too. Overall it seemed fine, not going to be doing track events or auto-x so seemed fine for daily driving.
-Interior is nice, like how it has the touchscreen radio and ipod standard. Nice black cloth seats too.

Mazda 3 Skyactiv 6MT:

-I drove this after the VW so first impression were not good with the lower rent interior and that nasty mismatched LCD screens that OP mentioned.
-6MT was miata like(as far as I remeber miata) but not as short and snickety. 2nd to 3rd was very short for a stock transmission. Light action going into gears but it had a odd tapioca like fluid feel when moving it around in neutral. So better then the Golf but for me not mind blowing better.
-Engine power was adequate but it seems like you kind of have to drive it like you stole it get it moving. Guesing real world MPG would be bad because of this and the TDI would get a lot better MPG. Engine was noisy too when you rev it.
-Suspension was firmer then the golf. Assume it would pay of on curvy roads but freeway might be annoying.

Summary:
Mazda 3 might be the better choice for the curvy road but overall the TDI is a lot nicer daily driver. Basically I seem kind of old for the 3, good 20 something car. They sold the 2011 3 door while I was there and I test drove the car I would want, 2012 base model 5 door in United Gray. Sale guy asked me what would get me to buy the car and I said 5k off sticker and he acted like he might be able to get it. He started having me fill out the deal paper work and I decided to walk.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #52
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Quote:
so I ended up driving both cars today.

VW TDI 6MT:

-Very surprised by the engine, had a lot more usable revs then I expected a diesel to have. Winding it out was actually kind of fun with it.
-MT seem ok to me, throws are long but abnormally long. Didn't mind it unlike the GTI 6MT I test drove before. After driving it I went and sat in a GTI and rowed the gears and it felt similar so not sure why I hated so much before, maybe because I had higher expectations since it is marketed as a more performance car.
-Didn't test the handling that much on my test drive, seemed ok, steering was overboosted but my M3 was too. Overall it seemed fine, not going to be doing track events or auto-x so seemed fine for daily driving.
-Interior is nice, like how it has the touchscreen radio and ipod standard. Nice black cloth seats too.

Mazda 3 Skyactiv 6MT:

-I drove this after the VW so first impression were not good with the lower rent interior and that nasty mismatched LCD screens that OP mentioned.
-6MT was miata like(as far as I remeber miata) but not as short and snickety. 2nd to 3rd was very short for a stock transmission. Light action going into gears but it had a odd tapioca like fluid feel when moving it around in neutral. So better then the Golf but for me not mind blowing better.
-Engine power was adequate but it seems like you kind of have to drive it like you stole it get it moving. Guesing real world MPG would be bad because of this and the TDI would get a lot better MPG. Engine was noisy too when you rev it.
-Suspension was firmer then the golf. Assume it would pay of on curvy roads but freeway might be annoying.

Summary:
Mazda 3 might be the better choice for the curvy road but overall the TDI is a lot nicer daily driver. Basically I seem kind of old for the 3, good 20 something car. They sold the 2011 3 door while I was there and I test drove the car I would want, 2012 base model 5 door in United Gray. Sale guy asked me what would get me to buy the car and I said 5k off sticker and he acted like he might be able to get it. He started having me fill out the deal paper work and I decided to walk.
Awesome review; this helps.

I'd love to know what kind of deal you're able to work and how they work it. I'd probably look at the extended warranty to guard against the HPFP issue, but that's likely a boogey-man with the 4th revision of the pump.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #53
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

TDI have HPFP issues like BMW? That is new to me.

The idea of buying a VW scares me from the horror stories I have heard. But if the resale is decent then maybe just keep it through the warranty then sell it?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #54
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Quote:
TDI have HPFP issues like BMW? That is new to me.

The idea of buying a VW scares me from the horror stories I have heard. But if the resale is decent then maybe just keep it through the warranty then sell it?
A small percentage of 09/10 TDI's had HPFP failure that resulted in complete destruction of the fueling system. $6k+ warranty claim. It seems that the pump is sensitive to poor fuel quality (gas or water) and the loss of lubrication this causes. I haven't heard any issues on the 2012s, since they're all on REV D pump designs.

Check out TDIclub.com if you want more info.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #55
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I wonder if the manual transmission in the new model is any better than the previous. It was bad enough that it would keep me from buying an otherwise great car.
No idea on whether they fixed it, but this is a simple case of the aftermarket to the rescue. There's a guy who makes a kit to help the notchy shifting in the MS3.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #56
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
No idea on whether they fixed it, but this is a simple case of the aftermarket to the rescue. There's a guy who makes a kit to help the notchy shifting in the MS3.
Good to know that it can be remedied. I wasn't sure if it was something internal, or external to the transmission case.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #57
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

diesel seem tough to find and expensive around here. My local station does not offer it and the closest one had it I think 50 cents more then premium. Attached is a gas station 30 minutes from me and about 40 cents cheaper then what I can get locally. Seems like it might be a pain to find diesel while on a road trip?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1432 (Medium).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	6983  
Old 12-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #58
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

I've got several friends with diesels (VW TDI & bmw 335d) and they were worried at first about being able to find diesel. They said in actuality it hasn't been a problem at all.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #59
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
I've got several friends with diesels (VW TDI & bmw 335d) and they were worried at first about being able to find diesel. They said in actuality it hasn't been a problem at all.
Twice the range means half as many visits to gas stations, a ritual I hate.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #60
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Twice the range means half as many visits to gas stations, a ritual I hate.
Yup, and the thing I like the least about the JGC and perhaps my biggest gripe with the E90 M3.

I need to get close to 300miles in around the town driving, and close to 400 miles hwy.

That's what I love about the GL320 - people claim 700 miles in one tank.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote