Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 04-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Wow, just wow!

Unbelievable dedication and work. Truly amazing. You've got to really love what you're doing to stick with it and perform to that level. Most awesome. Congrats!
Old 04-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #12
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Aww Wow on so many levels. Including about bimmerhaus and the state of what you received..

Thanks posting this.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #13
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I need to drive this car sometime. Or maybe I don't.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #14
clyde
Chief title editor

Got squat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	372
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	10716  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Aww Wow on so many levels. Including about bimmerhaus and the state of what you received..

Thanks posting this.
It's interesting to me that it's possible to summarize four and a half years of work in just a few pictures and words.

The Bimmerhaus thing was a good lesson to learn. It's mostly public knowledge at this point but it was a complete cluster. Bimmerhaus didn't own the car, so we didn't deal with them on price, we only got from them a list of what was on the car, what spares they had for it, and what condition it was in (none of which ended up being truly accurate). The sellers hadn't actually seen the car in years so all we were negotiating on with them was price. At the time we thought we were getting a screaming deal... in retrospect we probably paid about what we should have paid, or maybe a little too much. But the seller wouldn't take less for it. At this point I have no regrets.

It has been quite a ride.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:20 AM   #16
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Thanks for the read. I didn't realize how much time and effort truly goes into a proper Street Prepared car! I'm glad I get to see it run so often and hope you find that last 0.018 this year.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It's interesting to me that it's possible to summarize four and a half years of work in just a few pictures and words.

The Bimmerhaus thing was a good lesson to learn. It's mostly public knowledge at this point but it was a complete cluster. Bimmerhaus didn't own the car, so we didn't deal with them on price, we only got from them a list of what was on the car, what spares they had for it, and what condition it was in (none of which ended up being truly accurate). The sellers hadn't actually seen the car in years so all we were negotiating on with them was price. At the time we thought we were getting a screaming deal... in retrospect we probably paid about what we should have paid, or maybe a little too much. But the seller wouldn't take less for it. At this point I have no regrets.

It has been quite a ride.
What pisses me off about the car has been seeing you put everything into it and breaking every year when it matters or something major just before leaving. It's kind amazing that you've been able to fix everything each year, but fuck, that's gotta get tiring.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #18
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
It's almost as though BMW never envisioned repeated 6,000 RPM clutch drops or sustained cornering at 1.4g. I just don't get it.

Seriously though, I appreciate the sentiment and it does get old fixing stuff all the time. It's like the Ohio Turnpike. It's been under construction since 1955 or something. And it always will be. Because the oldest section will always need fixing right after the finish the newest section

I remember a DC ProSolo back when we were running the Boxster together, and seeing a certain local WRX owner having a meltdown because she fragged a transmission. And then a few weeks later at the Toledo ProSolo, Greg McCance fragged a transmission, coasted to his paddock spot, put the thing on jackstands and started to get to work. I don't know about you but I know which of those people I would rather be.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #19
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
JV: I obviously don't know that woman but I'm pretty likely to be her. Not many folks can put their cars up on stands and go to work on swapping driveline items. Some of us think of bulb replacement as challenging (not on bmw's, but try the headlamps of a mk6 golf).

I realized long ago that you need to be one of two to go racing (ideally both):
1. rich
2. highly mechanically inclined, like being your own Edd China
I'm neither. I like to *think* of the machine mechanically, but despite my various efforts (and years spent studying science) my DIY'ing is truly limited.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #20
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
JV: I obviously don't know that woman but I'm pretty likely to be her. Not many folks can put their cars up on stands and go to work on swapping driveline items. Some of us think of bulb replacement as challenging (not on bmw's, but try the headlamps of a mk6 golf).

I realized long ago that you need to be one of two to go racing (ideally both):
1. rich
2. highly mechanically inclined, like being your own Edd China
I'm neither. I like to *think* of the machine mechanically, but despite my various efforts (and years spent studying science) my DIY'ing is truly limited.

I did my own brakes twice before saying "fuck this, I don't enjoy it, I'd rather pay."