carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #351
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Which one is likely to "spark joy"? Aren't you keeping a fun car anyway, just get a CUV to do the job I say. Is this the new turbo mazda, has the engine been tested? I'd be gravitating towards that. Is it lighter? Is it cheaper to service?

Fauci expects the world to normalize by 2021 Q3-Q4, no masks, more travel etc... We'll see.
I am leaning this way. Mazda engine is a carryover. And yes, if I buy the Mazda, I am definitely keeping the fun car, which continues to spark joy.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #352
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Another twist is that the Carbon Edition CX-5 only comes in the Grand Touring version, which seems to lose front parking sensors and a few other features I’d like to have. My garage is tight with a hot water heater in it, as well as some storage racks, etc. I would not want to forgo that front sensor set.
I have not driven many cars with parking sensors lately, so maybe their behavior has changed? What I remember is that they go full nuts when there's still a good bit room left. If you're mostly concerned about parking in your own garage, there are cheap, easy,and non-permanent parking aids that can help a lot more than onboard parking sensors. Things like strips you mount on the floor (pull forward until you hit them), wall mounted alignment aids, lasers, and a bunch of others as easy to find as searching "parking aids" on Amazon.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #353
JST

Quote:
I am leaning this way. Mazda engine is a carryover. And yes, if I buy the Mazda, I am definitely keeping the fun car, which continues to spark joy.
Yes, I'd get the cheap Mazda and put a tennis ball on a string for garage parking. I think parking sensors are probably more useful on a CUV than a sedan, but like clyde, I've found their utility to be limited.

I certainly wouldn't pay a bunch more money for an X3 over the Mazda.

Wildcard idea: Bronco Sports should be showing up at dealers soon? They aren't sporty in any traditional sense but may be worth checking out.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #354
Alan
Carmudgeon

I have this and it works really good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VX8RJ8..._u3rVFb0Y90M6M
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #355
wdc330i
dogged

Yep. We had little illuminated stop signs in my former garage.

Keep in mind, I will also have a teen driver pretty soon...
Old 11-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #356
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I have not driven many cars with parking sensors lately, so maybe their behavior has changed? What I remember is that they go full nuts when there's still a good bit room left. If you're mostly concerned about parking in your own garage, there are cheap, easy,and non-permanent parking aids that can help a lot more than onboard parking sensors. Things like strips you mount on the floor (pull forward until you hit them), wall mounted alignment aids, lasers, and a bunch of others as easy to find as searching "parking aids" on Amazon.
I was going to suggest the old tennis ball on string from the ceiling
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #357
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I promise this will be the last time I post this advice, but.....

Get a beater for this vehicle. Something cheap to buy, cheap to insure and not nice so when your son inevitably dings it up, you won't be heartbroken. You're going to drive it maybe 20 times in the next year. 90% of those drives are going to be in bad weather, or to pick up some bulky (ie: interior tearing) item for your soon to be new house or with a couple of dirty kids and a dirty dog or teaching your son to drive. None of those activities benefit from a nice car or purtend to a fun driving experience. All of them have a high degree of risk that either the outside is going to get scratched or the inside is going to get mudded / torn up.
When you're not doing one of the above activities, you and your son will be happy in the front seat of the 2er. The 10% of the time you're doing a family road trip you'll still get more joy from practicality then you will from performance.

Spend $15k- $20k on a 2 gen old base x5, or an a4 wagon, or a w212 wagon, or a CX-7 or a mazda 6 wagon. Get a roof box, a hitch, a set of rubber mats and a set of weather aggressive all season tires and never worry about it again.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #358
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Yep. We had little illuminated stop signs in my former garage.

Keep in mind, I will also have a teen driver pretty soon...
Teen driver is a really compelling incentive to have the Mazda.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #359
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I promise this will be the last time I post this advice, but.....

Get a beater for this vehicle. Something cheap to buy, cheap to insure and not nice so when your son inevitably dings it up, you won't be heartbroken. You're going to drive it maybe 20 times in the next year. 90% of those drives are going to be in bad weather, or to pick up some bulky (ie: interior tearing) item for your soon to be new house or with a couple of dirty kids and a dirty dog or teaching your son to drive. None of those activities benefit from a nice car or purtend to a fun driving experience. All of them have a high degree of risk that either the outside is going to get scratched or the inside is going to get mudded / torn up.
When you're not doing one of the above activities, you and your son will be happy in the front seat of the 2er. The 10% of the time you're doing a family road trip you'll still get more joy from practicality then you will from performance.

Spend $15k- $20k on a 2 gen old base x5, or an a4 wagon, or a w212 wagon, or a CX-7 or a mazda 6 wagon. Get a roof box, a hitch, a set of rubber mats and a set of weather aggressive all season tires and never worry about it again.
Oy. And here I was getting close to making a decision...

BTW, the crazy time machine VW is still for sale! Dying to know the story here.

https://www.jimellisvwatlanta.com/ce...4185e528c2.htm
Old 11-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #360
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Fauci expects the world to normalize by 2021 Q3-Q4, no masks, more travel etc... We'll see.
Some of you know what I do for a living... I'm hearing from the travel industry that masks are here to stay. I'm sure it will relax a bit eventually, but until the pandemic is truly corralled, they will be required on planes, even if you have an "immunization passport", and possibly on flights only for those that have been vaccinated (Qantas just announced they will require proof of vaccination for international flights)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I was going to suggest the old tennis ball on string from the ceiling
Me too, although I've never actually done it (thought about it a couple times...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I think parking sensors are probably more useful on a CUV than a sedan, but like clyde, I've found their utility to be limited.
Does anyone other than Tesla display a distance on the sensors? But even on Tesla, there's a gap without info -- for example, if the gap is <12" Tesla just displays "STOP"...