carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #481
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Less than an hour to go and this car is still only at 45 (which is probably well below reserve). Bidding seems to be held up on failure to provide a DME readout. Porsche buyers can get hung up on dumb stuff.

Zach, you should buy this car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...1-carrera-s-2/
Yeah, I've been watching. I've pretty much decided to wait for baby #2 to arrive in August before buying a car. This one is compelling, though I'm not a huge fan of the black exterior and it's missing the sport seats (fixable but $).
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #482
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Less than an hour to go and this car is still only at 45 (which is probably well below reserve). Bidding seems to be held up on failure to provide a DME readout. Porsche buyers can get hung up on dumb stuff.

Zach, you should buy this car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...1-carrera-s-2/
When I was selling the Turbo, you would think the DME readout was more important than a clean title.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #483
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I drove a 964 once and thought it was pretty ponderous and terrible. Slow steering and just plain slow to accelerate.
I drove a well-maintained 1996 993 C2 back to back with a base 2.7L 981 Boxster (with 20k miles or so). The base boxster literally wiped the floor with it; in terms of braking, turning, even accelerating; pretty much the whole driving experience. Even as a coupe, the body felt not stiff enough, the controls were mushy, they are just objets d'art at this point. Museum pieces. The doors feel great, analog clocks are cool, I get all that; but if you actually push it when driving it all falls apart (perhaps the suspension needed a refresh but generally it felt like an average e36 m3, not much better in body structure, handling or even acceleration).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #484
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I drove a well-maintained 1996 993 C2 back to back with a base 2.7L 981 Boxster (with 20k miles or so). The base boxster literally wiped the floor with it; in terms of braking, turning, even accelerating; pretty much the whole driving experience. Even as a coupe, the body felt not stiff enough, the controls were mushy, they are just objets d'art at this point. Museum pieces. The doors feel great, analog clocks are cool, I get all that; but if you actually push it when driving it all falls apart (perhaps the suspension needed a refresh but generally it felt like an average e36 m3, not much better in body structure, handling or even acceleration).
AND believe me I want a 981 S but then you deal with prices like this.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3700/overview/

Or ugly lipstick red interiors and higher miles for a better price

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5202/overview/
Old 07-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #485
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Yeah, I've been watching. I've pretty much decided to wait for baby #2 to arrive in August before buying a car. This one is compelling, though I'm not a huge fan of the black exterior and it's missing the sport seats (fixable but $).
Ended up going for 52, which is a pretty good deal for this car (factoring in the 2700 BaT buyer's premium, it was 54,700).

Still, even at that price it's a hard purchase to justify. The F80 that I bought cost less even with a long CarMax warranty, is six years newer, and does a lot better job of being a flexible daily driver for family duty.

That's always been my problem with 911s--I just can't make them make sense financially given their limited utility.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #486
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

I can’t disagree with you objectively. They are peaky motors without tons of area under the curve power. And the chassis flex is laughable. But still.

But I drove a 911 G series targa to/from work for a year and it was an awesome experience for me. So mechanical and simple. And light.

I just liked it.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #487
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Ended up going for 52, which is a pretty good deal for this car (factoring in the 2700 BaT buyer's premium, it was 54,700).

Still, even at that price it's a hard purchase to justify. The F80 that I bought cost less even with a long CarMax warranty, is six years newer, and does a lot better job of being a flexible daily driver for family duty.

That's always been my problem with 911s--I just can't make them make sense financially given their limited utility.
That.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #488
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post

That's insane. It's clearly the 718 turbo 4's that are propping up values now.

At those prices for something pushing 7 years old, they are not worth it. I rather Miata around for peanuts.

The other thing from the macro perspective, is that we have not had an economic downturn in a while. The moment things get ugly, a lot of toys start to get shed. That's how I got my 987S for cheap.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #489
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post

Have you tried a base? Yes, torqueless, but even more fun sometimes..

Mine has a red interior, I don't think it's ugly or close to lipstick, more like a brick red; but everyone has different tastes. That photo has colors amped up. I think silver/red is classic, reminds of 50's sports cars.

I'd want high 40's for mine and that is a high option (91k msrp) gt silver at 20k miles in cream puff condition.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #490
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:

Yeah that is absolutely spot on. I've been shopping F80s and given the extra utility and performance it's hard to justify the 997/991. So boring.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote