carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Storing the Boxster

I'm starting to think about how I will store the 987 for the winter (roughly Dec thru Mar - only because the roads are full of salt/sand). My guess is that I'll get a chance a few times in the winter to drive it around the neighborhood on a nice weekend day, but for the most part, I will keep it covered and plugged to the wall via the "battery maintainer."

Now, I have two legitimate car garages and a pseudo garage (where the Jeep currently lives). It amounts to an area under the deck adjacent to the real garages. It has a garage door, but it is not weather-proof as some drops of water fall through the corrugated pieces of steel just beneath the (POS, decaying, PT-wood, to be replaced next year) deck. On the sides, the spot has the outside wall of the garage (concrete) on one side, the door on the other, and what amounts to large panels of lexan on the other two sides. So while this setup prevents it from getting snowed on and getting blasted by wind, if it gets really cold, the car gets pretty close to that outside temperature.

My thinking is that the Boxster will go in there for the winter under a nice car cover and plugged in. We would rather use the two garages for the two cars we will use frequently since only those two garages have direct access from the house.

I know the 987 should take any weather imaginable, but am I risking damage to the top, etc with prolonged exposure to the top? Should I leave it up or down? Do I need to apply any kind of product to anything? What kind of cover should I get? Any recommendations (OEM?)? Any car storage tricks I should know of?

Thanks!
FC is offline   Reply With Quote