carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
nytimes.com article about aluminum frames

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/au...ef=automobiles

it's interesting to see who IS NOT mentioned in the article, that marque that is closest to our hearts, the one that brought most of us together.

yeah, i know about the z8 --i also know about the frame problems that the z8 has been shown to have. i wonder when BMW is going to start rolling out aluminum in their frames (and Porsche, too).

BMW has insisted that they won't go up in displacement for fuel economy reasons so their power will be, in the future, come from turbos --but with their curb weights this high, someone in Munich is going to have to implement serious weight savings measures. and i'm not just talking about Saturn-esque SMC body fenders that are found on the 6 series.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/au...ef=automobiles

it's interesting to see who IS NOT mentioned in the article, that marque that is closest to our hearts, the one that brought most of us together.

yeah, i know about the z8 --i also know about the frame problems that the z8 has been shown to have. i wonder when BMW is going to start rolling out aluminum in their frames (and Porsche, too).

BMW has insisted that they won't go up in displacement for fuel economy reasons so their power will be, in the future, come from turbos --but with their curb weights this high, someone in Munich is going to have to implement serious weight savings measures. and i'm not just talking about Saturn-esque SMC body fenders that are found on the 6 series.
There is now aluminum in the 5 series. That's why my 530xiT weighs only what my E46 325xiT did--and gets the same gas mileage with the bigger engine.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
There is now aluminum in the 5 series. That's why my 530xiT weighs only what my E46 325xiT did--and gets the same gas mileage with the bigger engine.
And why I am optimistic about the next-gen 535xiT a few years from now.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
And why I am optimistic about the next-gen 535xiT a few years from now.
i was hoping for all aluminum frames, personally.

but it's true that the e60 uses a lot of aluminum.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
There are very few shops in Southern Cal that can even repair AL frames. Many shops don't want to make the investment required and will simply turn away business.

I can't imagine the situation is any better elsewhere.

Anyway, AL is nice, but until there are more shops with this capability (read, cheaper to repair), when the insurance company starts doing their calculation, AL frame cars will probably be more expensive to insure. Such as the case with NSX and A8.

Oh, and the insurance/bodyshop business is so completely corrupted, speaking as someone who used to be involved in it... Think hookers and envelope full of cash for bribes.
no doubt.

and i rue the day that i will have to have my C6 frame worked on by a dealer network ill-prepared to deal with aluminum. but that will never stop me from buying the car that i would want.

for example, i'd be thrilled if GM decided to use aluminum frames for the CTS genII cars instead of steel used in the Monaro/G8/Camaro to improve its power to weight ratio. i'd pay the extra money for the superior car.

Porsche fights weight pretty well, but you can already see that the GT3 is above 3000lbs, the 997 S is close to 3300pounds and the 997TT is more of a porker than the 996tt was/is. in my opinion, their options are locked in because of the rear engine placement and the fact that it will not accept an engine larger than 4.0litres. that's why i think more and more the next 911 will be "rear mid-engined". if Porsche won't use aluminum, they're going to have to use displacement. no way around it. and BMW can keep pushing turbos, but the high curb weights will always tax the smaller displacement engines.

the 335i, for example, will be great for commuting. but heat soak will dial back the power significantly during college idiot-type driving. and think about tracking that car? think again. little teensy brakes, plus retarded ignition timing due to heat soak and you have a bloated car that will get passed by lighter cars with superior brakes.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

But as more and more makers put Al into frames/chassis, it will force shops to make the switch. Otherwise their market will shrink. Times change.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Huh. I didn't know this.

A 530i is 100 lbs lighter than a 335i.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
My wife and I were shopping for new garage doors the other day - I picked up a cross section of one made of wood, then steel, then aluminum, it's really stunning how much lighter the identical piece made of aluminum felt.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote