carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-02-2024, 10:13 AM   #11
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Agree with @Alan. The 240V charger is reasonably priced (on average) and contributes to enhancing quality of life, IMHO.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:52 AM   #12
JST

Yes, I would install the charger. It’s a much nicer experience to have that capability at home.

Not sure what the ID.4s charge limit is, but I’d put in a 60 amp circuit and a charger capable of 48 amps to give yourself some headroom going forward. Honestly the cheapest option may be a Tesla charger with a J1772 adapter; it’s what I’ve been using for the X5 and it works great.

Edit: looks like the ID.4 has an 11 kW onboard charger, so it can make use of a 48 kWh EVSE.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 12:56 PM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes, I would install the charger. It’s a much nicer experience to have that capability at home.

Not sure what the ID.4s charge limit is, but I’d put in a 60 amp circuit and a charger capable of 48 amps to give yourself some headroom going forward. Honestly the cheapest option may be a Tesla charger with a J1772 adapter; it’s what I’ve been using for the X5 and it works great.

Edit: looks like the ID.4 has an 11 kW onboard charger, so it can make use of a 48 kWh EVSE.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm definitely leaning in that direction. We need to get a quote for some other electrical work anyway.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:40 PM   #14
robg
Carmudgeon

My wife just called me to tell me that she succesfully charged at Electrify America. I guess she realized there was a station nearby to where she was and decided to give it a try. Sounds like plug and charge worked and she topped it off to 80%. I'm glad her first public charging experience was smooth- she's not very patient when it comes to learning new tech or dealing with software issues in general. Phew.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:09 PM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
My wife just called me to tell me that she succesfully charged at Electrify America. I guess she realized there was a station nearby to where she was and decided to give it a try. Sounds like plug and charge worked and she topped it off to 80%. I'm glad her first public charging experience was smooth- she's not very patient when it comes to learning new tech or dealing with software issues in general. Phew.
For us non Tesla people, it’s a pretty shit situation mostly though. A lot of these charging options are offline often. If it’s 30mi a day you’re well within the 200+ range of the car, but it’s just irritation you don’t need.

Even on the Left Coast with handsome Gavin Newsom, the charging options are complete crap outside of Tesla.

So I’m thinking, the rest of the country must really suck balls.

Old 02-02-2024, 06:51 PM   #16
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
For us non Tesla people, it’s a pretty shit situation mostly though. A lot of these charging options are offline often. If it’s 30mi a day you’re well within the 200+ range of the car, but it’s just irritation you don’t need.

Even on the Left Coast with handsome Gavin Newsom, the charging options are complete crap outside of Tesla.

So I’m thinking, the rest of the country must really suck balls.
Yup. That's why i was surprised that she had a good experience. I've read nothing but horror stories. We will almost never actually need to use public chargers though...this was just more of a lark. I wouldn't have bought this car if I thought we'd regularly have to rely on them.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:47 PM   #17
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Congrats! Welcome to the EV world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Tesla even sells a wall charger with a J1772 plug.

But considering everyone is adopting NACS, maybe just get the Tesla charger and an adapter
Old 02-16-2024, 11:35 AM   #18
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Congrats! Welcome to the EV world.

Tesla even sells a wall charger with a J1772 plug.

But considering everyone is adopting NACS, maybe just get the Tesla charger and an adapter
This is a dumb question, but are most houses equipped with the wiring to handle 3-5 EVs and 3 chargers at the 240V level? Or higher?

Or do those of us with old houses have to worry about rebuilding the electrical system to handle?

Old 02-16-2024, 11:56 AM   #19
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
This is a dumb question, but are most houses equipped with the wiring to handle 3-5 EVs and 3 chargers at the 240V level? Or higher?

Or do those of us with old houses have to worry about rebuilding the electrical system to handle?

Most newer homes will have 200 amp service which should be sufficient for 1-2 EVs. Older homes with 100 amp likely need an upgrade, but I’d argue they need that whether or not EVs were on the mix. If you want 3+ EVs - guess that depends on what type of charging situation you need, running 3 cars at the same time will need a lot of juice so you’d probably need to alternate.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:38 PM   #20
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Most newer homes will have 200 amp service which should be sufficient for 1-2 EVs. Older homes with 100 amp likely need an upgrade, but I’d argue they need that whether or not EVs were on the mix. If you want 3+ EVs - guess that depends on what type of charging situation you need, running 3 cars at the same time will need a lot of juice so you’d probably need to alternate.
Honestly, I think most of us need to consider having n=2 Level 2/3 chargers in the next 5 years. I think hybrids will largely dominate, but my question is starting with each of our domiciles and then radiating out to the grid. And if the grid can support X number of houses at the 240V level.

I just have never thought deeply about this before. I’m wondering in the NorthEast and the cranky and ancient infrastructure if this can be supported.