carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
2010+ : The base/HSE trim V8 gets far stronger but has real issues reported in the forums. Same with the supercharged. The only way to be safe with the 5.0 engine is to get a last MY LR4 like FC.
Curious as to what problems you have read about. I know the water pump is a dodgy item. Beyond that there is the very rare chain tensioner issue, but like you said, I think later V8's are deemed more reliable.

Another thing to consider is that many people suggest much more frequent drivetrain fluid changes than specified (i.e. tranny fluid change at 50k miles not 100k or whatever they recommend).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Curious as to what problems you have read about. I know the water pump is a dodgy item. Beyond that there is the very rare chain tensioner issue, but like you said, I think later V8's are deemed more reliable.
Your V8 is fine as you researched. It is not on any RR, as they ended in 2012.

The ones that I'm looking at $25k the 5.0 issue seems to be like IMS. Multiple people on forums have lost engines, but then so was IMS, a small percentage in the real world. Anyway, there are few things I like better about the 07-09's, especially price. There is a RR buyer's guide book out there detailing the problems.

From my POV, your car, late 2013 with rear diff/spare is very hard to find, you did well.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Your V8 is fine as you researched. It is not on any RR, as they ended in 2012.

The ones that I'm looking at $25k the 5.0 issue seems to be like IMS. Multiple people on forums have lost engines, but then so was IMS, a small percentage in the real world. Anyway, there are few things I like better about the 07-09's, especially price. There is a RR buyer's guide book out there detailing the problems.

From my POV, your car, late 2013 with rear diff/spare is very hard to find, you did well.
Remind me why a V8 Grand Cherokee is out?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Remind me why a V8 Grand Cherokee is out?
The sightlines take some getting used to, and it's far from "sporty". A guy who thinks the X5 is too trucky would be over it in about an hour. Never mind his adventures over the Rubicon would surely scratch the paint or dent the rockers.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote