carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #1
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
All Things BMW

Not sure if this is true, but just read on Bimmerpost that BMW will be moving to B&O from HK in 2024…

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1976744&page=2
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Not sure if this is true, but just read on Bimmerpost that BMW will be moving to B&O from HK in 2024…

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1976744&page=2

Not sure I’d take anything coming from source of “the Genius at the local dealer” as fact, but if it does happen would be interesting but probably not a big deal. Doubt they would cut out the mid-level option in favor of only option being a $3000+ upgrade so they’d still have to water it down to a $700-$800 price point.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Not sure I’d take anything coming from source of “the Genius at the local dealer” as fact, but if it does happen would be interesting but probably not a big deal. Doubt they would cut out the mid-level option in favor of only option being a $3000+ upgrade so they’d still have to water it down to a $700-$800 price point.
Doesn’t Audi use a mid-level B&O? Or is Bose?

And B&O systems are already available in higher end BMWs in Europe, so doesn’t seem like a huge leap. But, you’re right BMW Genius is not a reliable source! LOL.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Doesn’t Audi use a mid-level B&O? Or is Bose?

And B&O systems are already available in higher end BMWs in Europe, so doesn’t seem like a huge leap. But, you’re right BMW Genius is not a reliable source! LOL.

I think Audi uses B&O, BMW did in past for the high end option on 5-6-7 series but now uses Bowers & Wilkins. Mercedes has a couple of levels of Burmester upgrades. Basically I think it’s less about the brand itself vs. the level of the system you’re talking about - is it the base, the $700-$800 upgrade you get on a 2-3-4-5 series, or the $3000+ higher end option for the 5-7-8 series?
Old 12-17-2022, 09:48 AM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I think Audi uses B&O, BMW did in past for the high end option on 5-6-7 series but now uses Bowers & Wilkins. Mercedes has a couple of levels of Burmester upgrades. Basically I think it’s less about the brand itself vs. the level of the system you’re talking about - is it the base, the $700-$800 upgrade you get on a 2-3-4-5 series, or the $3000+ higher end option for the 5-7-8 series?
Ah, yes. B&W…Supposedly there is a B&W setting for the HK that you can unlock with Bimmercode or some such. I only ever really listen to podcasts, so have no dog in the stereo fight.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:03 PM   #6
robg
Carmudgeon

Honestly, the branding doesn't mean much. All the components mostly come from the same suppliers but OEMs will pay a licensing fee to whoever owns the brand. And in some cases, someone from the brand may have to sign off on the tuning. But you could experience an HK branded stereo in one car that sounded great yet get into another model and it sounds bad. I've seen the B&O brand used on mid-tier options (as with Audi) and high-end (as with BMW's top end systems).

As far as BMW cutting out the mid-tier HK option, I guess its possible. Porsche has done the same thing recently (you either get the horrible base radio or you fork over like 5K for Burmeister). When I was considering an X5, I wasn't impressed by the HK at all. To me it sounded like it should just be the base system. But the base system was unacceptably bad so you're forced to pay for the option. I'm not even an audiophile or that picky about car stereos but when its just obviously bad something is wrong. A friend of ours (who owns an X5 with the base radio) is considering paying to upgrade it because its that bad (and she's not into cars or stereos). Porsche's base radio is even worse; you'd be disappointed to have it in a rental Nissan.

When it comes to premium brands like Porsche, BMW, etc it really rubs me the wrong way when they dont include what I'd consider "minimally acceptable" standard equipment on any 40k+ car (decent sounding radio, adaptive cruise control, adjustable lumbar, etc). Just raise the base price if need be; feeling like you're being nickel and dimed when paying that much just sucks. Audi is one of the few european brands that seems to do a good job of providing an expected level of standard features given the price point. Unfortunately, I guess the recent supply shortages have shown these companies that they can just randomly delete stuff yet charge more.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 03:56 PM   #7
wdc330i
dogged

Yeah. HK is really a minimum standard for BMW. And it’s $800+.

My Mazda CX-5 Signature came with a Bose system that was quite decent. Part of the package, I guess.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #8
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Yeah. HK is really a minimum standard for BMW. And it’s $800+.

My Mazda CX-5 Signature came with a Bose system that was quite decent. Part of the package, I guess.

Agree the BMW HK system isn’t much of an upgrade and should be the standard offering.