carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-26-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
TD
Founder emeritus

Took the Saab on a roadtrip...

One word- Nice

The car is great on the highway, quiet, low RPMs at speed, and very eager to pull when trying to pass, plus tons of space. And very comfortable. And I could adjust the seat any way I wanted (even into a nap friendly position - yes, as a passenger) without worrying about the kid located behind me. Space can be a really good thing.

I know it's sacriledge to say this on a BMW board, but I really like this Saab. Sure it's not going to be the first choice for autox or track events. But for everyday type stuff, it is a great everyday car for an enthusiast.

We also had XM along for the ride (via a tape deck adapter and cigarette lighter power source - the low-fi approach) and the merits of hearing uninterrupted good music as you drive between metropolitan areas is more or less priceless. I'm looking forward to being able to do a more permanent (and higher-fi) install. (Come on Blitzsafe, where's that adapter?)

And I still plan to autox it at least once. Just to see how it feels.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:58 PM   #2
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
ahem.

some of "us" are waiting for information to send you accessories for said saab.

ps. isn't the aero a great highway car? it RIPS.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:11 PM   #3
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
ahem.

It really did gobble miles in comfort. For the role we bought it to fill, it seems to be perfect.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
ahem.

It really did gobble miles in comfort. For the role we bought it to fill, it seems to be perfect.
Good to hear. I'm glad you found the right car, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:58 PM   #5
Keith
Realist

Way to go, good to here your enjoying the car.
I'd like to see some more shots of the car, inside and out.
I've never seen that car before, other than the shot you took with the "other" wheels.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
Masskrug
Jaded

Re: Took the Saab on a roadtrip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
One word- Nice

The car is great on the highway, quiet, low RPMs at speed, and very eager to pull when trying to pass, plus tons of space. And very comfortable. And I could adjust the seat any way I wanted (even into a nap friendly position - yes, as a passenger) without worrying about the kid located behind me. Space can be a really good thing.

I know it's sacriledge to say this on a BMW board, but I really like this Saab. Sure it's not going to be the first choice for autox or track events. But for everyday type stuff, it is a great everyday car for an enthusiast.

We also had XM along for the ride (via a tape deck adapter and cigarette lighter power source - the low-fi approach) and the merits of hearing uninterrupted good music as you drive between metropolitan areas is more or less priceless. I'm looking forward to being able to do a more permanent (and higher-fi) install. (Come on Blitzsafe, where's that adapter?)

If I said all these things about a X5, would that still make me reviled?
Masskrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 01:17 PM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masskrug
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
One word- Nice

If I said all these things about a X5, would that still make me reviled?
oh, i don't think so.

the only thing you'd hear from a wisea$$ like me is: he has more space, paid about half, has much better acceleration and probably better braking..........as would be what one would expect when comparing a real station wagon to a minivan.....

just something to poke fun at you about (you can take it).

Old 10-27-2003, 01:25 PM   #8
Masskrug
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
oh, i don't think so.

the only thing you'd hear from a wisea$$ like me is: he has more space, paid about half, has much better acceleration and probably better braking..........as would be what one would expect when comparing a real station wagon to a minivan.....

More cargo space yes. I bet I have more passenger space.

EDIT: X5 70->0 in 170 feet. Better than a 330.

Acceleration 0->60 in 8.1 s. Not bad, not great.

(I have broad shoulders. Bring it on!)
Masskrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 01:38 PM   #9
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
oh, i don't think so.

X5 60->0 in 170 feet. Better than a 330.

I can look up specs, but I know that the Saab has more HP and a lot mroe torque, weighs a lot less and has a lower center of gravity. It also has bigger brakes, MUCH more cargo room and, I believe, more passenger space. And it gets better gas mileage to boot.

Oh yeah, and what pDz said. I paid about half.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:48 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
oh, i don't think so.

X5 60->0 in 170 feet. Better than a 330.

I can look up specs, but I know that the Saab has more HP and a lot mroe torque, weighs a lot less and has a lower center of gravity. It also has bigger brakes, MUCH more cargo room and, I believe, more passenger space. And it gets better gas mileage to boot.

Oh yeah, and what pDz said. I paid about half.
i didn't want to steal your thunder, so i waited because i knew you'd reply in kind with the data.