carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #11
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I was out of energy/motivation to do more work on the e46 m3, after thousands spent and many large & small repairs, it still needed suspension work and maybe some other things. I do regret having sold it though. I felt like I had to because the garage I had for it was getting damp (and deeply hard to ameliorate). The right move would be to have kept it and the JGC and sell the cushy 535i.. The problem was the 5 was the car I kept driving as a daily, just like the 340 now. Ideally I'd have a modernish bmw as a daily, the boxster, the quasi-vintage m3, the JGC as occasional drivers but I don't have that appetite or budget. Had to draw the line. In fact, add a 911 coupe to that ideal fleet.

Pretty sure it hasn't done a thousand miles in the last 2.5 years. Went to a collection. He didn't even come to pick it up in person, just wired me the money. I drove it to his garage and his people handled it from there.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:29 PM   #12
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Who remembers this 1993 Autoweek cover?
I do.

I still remember cringing at the name "Boxster" and I still hate it to this day.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #13
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I do.

I still remember cringing at the name "Boxster" and I still hate it to this day.
Amazingly, it predated Napster. What the hell was happening in the 90s that made people think that was a good construction?

Porsche's non-numeral names are uniformly bad. Cayman is maybe the least stupid of the bunch, but it's pretty stupid. I'm not sure which is the worst--"Boxster" and "Panamera" are both good candidates.

EDIT: The Carrera Cup sold for 335K.

Last edited by JST; 10-23-2020 at 02:05 PM.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I never used Napster, but yeah, it was a really stupid name.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote