carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-21-2023, 11:23 AM   #61
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It has the Golf R motor now; should be plenty quick.
Is the Golf R motor the EA888 in a higher state of tune, or also come with upgraded internals?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:15 PM   #62
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Is the Golf R motor the EA888 in a higher state of tune, or also come with upgraded internals?
Previously I thought it was just an different(upgraded) turbo but supposedly the clutch on for the manual is the same as the GTI so they don't seem to do much improvements.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:20 PM   #63
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I have occasionally thought it would be great to have a rear wiper on the GC hatch. It isn’t terrible, but coming from wagons (I had three), I know how much it can help. And wagon glass is even more upright than the hatches.
I noticed today in the rain that the new civic hatch had a rear wiper so maybe the integra did too
Old 03-23-2023, 06:00 PM   #64
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I noticed today in the rain that the new civic hatch had a rear wiper so maybe the integra did too
Nice! I think I had one on the back of my ancient Accord Hatchback EX, now that mention it.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:28 PM   #65
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Drove my buddies to dinner in the Arteon(Lemming from del mar to stone gardens via del dios) with the usual commuter traffic.

DSG -

Not surprising but shifts very nice under load with the dual clutch. Can catch the off guard and flat footed in automatic mode which is annoying. Sounds like Porsche PDK does not have this issue. But when it works right it is a very nice automatic transmission.

I was able to enable launch control once, pretty fun party trick. Would like to try it again in a more controlled environment., i..e not at a stop sign with traffic

I played a bit with manual mode but it automatic shifts at redline and seems to ignore higher rpm downshifts so does not seem of much use so far.

AWD(Haldex)-

Seems pretty bad for a performance point of view, not very good about adding power to the rear, it feels very abrupt. Basically fwd with some additional rear traction. I have not verified if it has the trick rear diff from the Golf R but guessing it does not based on driving it.

Handling -
Falls apart at decent speed with understeer. Still not bad handling for a big luxury sedan though, just the GTI is more fun which is expected.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:44 PM   #66
robg
Carmudgeon

The Arteon definitely flies under the radar but seems like it might one of the best midsize family sedans out there right now: roomy, practical with a hatchback, good powertrain + AWD, and it looks good. I suppose they're definitely more expensive relative to Accords and Camrys but I'm guessing VW dealers are willing to discount them more. I'd certainly pay ~5k more over a similar Accord for all those advantages! You pretty much never see them or hear about them.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:19 PM   #67
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The Arteon definitely flies under the radar but seems like it might one of the best midsize family sedans out there right now: roomy, practical with a hatchback, good powertrain + AWD, and it looks good. I suppose they're definitely more expensive relative to Accords and Camrys but I'm guessing VW dealers are willing to discount them more. I'd certainly pay ~5k more over a similar Accord for all those advantages! You pretty much never see them or hear about them.
You made me look—since it’s pretty much a four-cylinder version of my car. Looks like a decent value for sure. But, I’d probably still pick my car—or the four-cylinder 430 GC over the Arteon.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:00 PM   #68
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
You made me look—since it’s pretty much a four-cylinder version of my car. Looks like a decent value for sure. But, I’d probably still pick my car—or the four-cylinder 430 GC over the Arteon.
Oh for sure i'd take a 6 cylinder BMW over one of these. But...a 430 over this? Yeah, the 430 will be better balanced and handle better. But 4 cylinder to 4 cylinder? NOt sure I'd pay the BMW premium...
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #69
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Oh for sure i'd take a 6 cylinder BMW over one of these. But...a 430 over this? Yeah, the 430 will be better balanced and handle better. But 4 cylinder to 4 cylinder? NOt sure I'd pay the BMW premium...
Maybe I am biased but the VW EA888 is pretty good for a 4 cylinder turbo engine. Seems like there a lot of complaints with the sound of the BMW version. Not that the VW sounds good but it is not offensive.
Old 03-27-2023, 11:38 AM   #70
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Drove my buddies to dinner in the Arteon(Lemming from del mar to stone gardens via del dios) with the usual commuter traffic.

DSG -

Not surprising but shifts very nice under load with the dual clutch. Can catch the off guard and flat footed in automatic mode which is annoying. Sounds like Porsche PDK does not have this issue. But when it works right it is a very nice automatic transmission.

I was able to enable launch control once, pretty fun party trick. Would like to try it again in a more controlled environment., i..e not at a stop sign with traffic

I played a bit with manual mode but it automatic shifts at redline and seems to ignore higher rpm downshifts so does not seem of much use so far.

AWD(Haldex)-

Seems pretty bad for a performance point of view, not very good about adding power to the rear, it feels very abrupt. Basically fwd with some additional rear traction. I have not verified if it has the trick rear diff from the Golf R but guessing it does not based on driving it.

Handling -
Falls apart at decent speed with understeer. Still not bad handling for a big luxury sedan though, just the GTI is more fun which is expected.
Drove the Arteon up to the mountains and played with the active cruise control and lane centering on the freeway part. Overall a pretty bad implementation, sort of like having a new driver driving the car. The Corolla rental I had in New Mexico seemed to have a better active cruise control implementation.