carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-03-2023, 11:25 PM   #21
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
thanks all, I am going to try to test drive that 6MT Integra this weekend.

complaining start...
Only problem is that it doesn't seem much of an upgrade over my GTI and for more money. Actually a downgrade on the engine 1.5T vs 2.0T. Seems like tech(and reliability) is the only upgrade.

Sometimes things just suck, in a perfect world the gti is the answer for you but in real life you did it and done that and unfortunately the gti is out of the question.

Forgot everything else and try out the new Nissan Z …. Now that looks like fun

Last edited by Alan; 03-04-2023 at 06:37 AM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:48 PM   #22
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
C&D just released their picks for hatches at various price points:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...YM_xnju3V5nOWQ
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:21 PM   #23
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
C&D just released their picks for hatches at various price points:

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...YM_xnju3V5nOWQ
LOL.

Most of those cars are unobtainium

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:53 AM   #24
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I'm confused. Your wife is the one commuting and the main user of the broken GTI (as the 4runner doesn't make sense for that); what does she want?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:03 PM   #25
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'm confused. Your wife is the one commuting and the main user of the broken GTI (as the 4runner doesn't make sense for that); what does she want?
yeah, the 4runner is technically her car but we decided that she would drive the GTI to work for fuel efficiency reasons. When we originally bought the 4runner almost 6 years ago we were ok with the gas mileage and did not have the GTI at the time(turbo or e36M3).

Her feedback is being included in the decision, going to update this thread soon.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:05 PM   #26
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Test drive #1 - 2023 Integra A-spec Tech 6MT

Pros:
-Power seemed decent, did not feel like a big drop from GTI. Did not rev it that hard though since want to be nice to a new car though. Seemed like a lot of fake engine noise which I could not figure out how to turn off.
-Transmission was super nice, short distinct throws. A lot better than the GTI
-tech/interior quality seemed fine. GTI again is very similar, front seat touch points high up are good. Rear seats have hard plastics up high.

Cons:
-Clutch had a high vague pickup, GTI wins on this
-Rear entry was not ideal with fast back style. My short 5'3" wife commented on almost hitting her head getting in.
-Read seats is kind of cocoon/tank like.
-Rear view through hatchback was bad.
-Rear bumper to load into hatchback is high and not ideal
-We do take the GTI on some road trips but my wife thinks this car would not be any good for them based on above cons.

Other notes:
-Wife did not like the red interior. I was fine with it but the alcantara middle with leather side bolsters seemed a bit strange. I actually would prefer all leather leather like the rear seats
-Transmission felt too far to the passenger side, seems like it would better to move the switches to the other side. Assuming I will get use to it
-Did not realize it was auto rev matching when I first was driving it, thought the throttle was overly sensitive when heel toeing

anyways, not a bad car but not a super exciting car for me. In some ways it would be a good replacement for the GTI in that wife could drive to work but still have a somewhat fun car for me. Value wise it seems like saving $10k for civic si would make more sense but I am a bit old for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230306_002513676.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	15744  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230306_000522627.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	15745  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230306_000548296.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	15746  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230306_001619697.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	15747  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230306_000511176.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	15748  

Old 03-06-2023, 02:33 PM   #27
JST

Good notes. Definitely seems a little hard to get excited about compared to a GTI.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:42 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

Nice detailed review of the Integra. Surprised about the materials used on the front seat. I can see your wife's persective- the red alcantara kind of reminds me a little of the "plush velour" red interior of an 80s GM or Chrysler product. And yeah - disappointing that the liftover height of the rear hatch is so high. Its' more like a liftback than a hatchback
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:52 PM   #29
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
the red alcantara kind of reminds me a little of the "plush velour" red interior of an 80s GM or Chrysler product.
That was absolutely my thought when I looked closely at the interior pic
Old 03-06-2023, 04:36 PM   #30
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Test Drive #2 - Tesla Model 3 RWD

I drove one awhile back when I was getting my GTI so this was more a refresher. This time the tech did not scare me as much, either more use to it or more comfortable since it has been vetted for a while.

Notes:
-Acceleration was pretty good but not mind blowing, maybe that requires the performance version? I will still end up driving it like a dick
-Standard(?) seats sucked, I was falling all over the place. I guess they were comfortable at least.
-I am liking the clean interior nowadays, all digital interface was not terrible and I could use to.
-Like Josh said, ton of value with the base model for the money. All the tech of the Acura plus more.
-Hate to admit but the fart for turn signal gave us a pretty good laugh

Pros-wise my wife definitely liked it for her commuting car to work. I like the reduced maintenance/cost and in theory less guilt of driving it around.

Cons wise it seems like every other car is a Telsa in my area(and most driven terribly) so I would have to get over that. Also first time not have a manual car since my first car. Guess in the not far future, my soon to be driving son could use the 4runnner and I could get something else.