carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-05-2023, 08:24 AM   #11
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I've had a couple cayenne loaners and was very underwhelmed. My opinion is at even money the g05 is a better all around SUV. Factor on the 25%+ cost increase to spec a similar Cayenne and it's a hard pass from me.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:26 AM   #12
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
My opinion is at even money the g05 is a better all around SUV. Factor on the 25%+ cost increase to spec a similar Cayenne and it's a hard pass from me.
Agreed. The X5 is really hard to beat, especially for the money.

My Cayenne and Coupe Coupe builds are below. Both are in chalk and the only other color I would consider is Carmine. The rest of the colors are horrible.

Base Cayenne https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PPX6KJZ6

Base Cayenne Coupe https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PPNJ3R11
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:40 AM   #13
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Agreed. The X5 is really hard to beat, especially for the money.

My Cayenne and Coupe Coupe builds are below. Both are in chalk and the only other color I would consider is Carmine. The rest of the colors are horrible.

Base Cayenne https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PPX6KJZ6

Base Cayenne Coupe https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PPNJ3R11
Dear Lord... $103k for a base Cayenne with base black interior. I just went and built an x4 4.5e and checked virtually every box and wound up at $83k. Incidentally, that's what my 2019 build cost was but the B&W stereo is no longer available on the i6 cars. Heck, i just loaded up an m5.0 with everything and got to 103... with massaging seats, BW stereo, etc.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:25 AM   #14
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Dear Lord... $103k for a base Cayenne with base black interior. I just went and built an x4 4.5e and checked virtually every box and wound up at $83k. Incidentally, that's what my 2019 build cost was but the B&W stereo is no longer available on the i6 cars. Heck, i just loaded up an m5.0 with everything and got to 103... with massaging seats, BW stereo, etc.
I know right… absurd! My pre-facelift G05 xDrive 40i build is $83k and that is loaded. I am certain the LCI will see a price increase too. The 2024 B58 in the LCI is receiving a power boast too, approx 375 hp.

Note, my build below is not the exterior color I would choose for a LCI, but it is the only current color that I would select.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22C42D5E-70C7-4A63-8EE5-CADD0D71FC02.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	15623  
Old 02-05-2023, 12:12 PM   #15
robg
Carmudgeon

G05 X5 LCI leaked

Is that carbon black? That’s my favorite color for the x5. As for the msport front bumper looking better on the LCI I’m skeptical - the x3 msport has this weird “smile” shape now…and I think the base one looks better.

And yeah the base cayenne just isn’t special enough for the price. If i wanted to spend 100k on an suv it would have to be the new Range Rover sport. As for the macan I probably need to drive a higher power version to “get it” since every single car reviewer gushes over it. I will say that Porsches hold their values better so the higher purchase price is somewhat mitigated. I’ve been kind of fantasizing about doing a porsche european delivery - hmm.

The x5 does seem like the best overall value in the premium SUV segment - but I’d want to keep it closer to 70k for a 40i version.

I think it’s worth seeing if you can get a nice discount on the current version - idrive 8 is kind of a step back in usability and I’m pretty sure the LCI msport is going to look worse. A little added power is nice but between likely price increases and less chance of discounts I think the price delta could be around 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:27 PM   #16
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Full LCI pic leaked earlier today. xLine Package. Hopefully the M sport package will make that front bumper cover more appealing.
I would never buy one of these, but that looks quite good.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:37 PM   #17
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Is that carbon black? That’s my favorite color for the x5. As for the msport front bumper looking better on the LCI I’m skeptical - the x3 msport has this weird “smile” shape now…and I think the base one looks better.

And yeah the base cayenne just isn’t special enough for the price. If i wanted to spend 100k on an suv it would have to be the new Range Rover sport. As for the macan I probably need to drive a higher power version to “get it” since every single car reviewer gushes over it. I will say that Porsches hold their values better so the higher purchase price is somewhat mitigated. I’ve been kind of fantasizing about doing a porsche european delivery - hmm.

The x5 does seem like the best overall value in the premium SUV segment - but I’d want to keep it closer to 70k for a 40i version.

I think it’s worth seeing if you can get a nice discount on the current version - idrive 8 is kind of a step back in usability and I’m pretty sure the LCI msport is going to look worse. A little added power is nice but between likely price increases and less chance of discounts I think the price delta could be around 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that is carbon black. The only color I can force myself to live with on a pre-LCI.

My current X5 has under 10k miles and the BMW platinum extended warranty does not expire until May 2024. I am not doing anything until 3-4 months before then. I absolutely refuse to own any new BMW out of warranty. I do not care for the G05 pre-LCI so it is not an option, regardless of a nice discount and furthermore a discount would be unattainable on a priority 1 build. I will not buy off the lot.

The new Macan is coming. The current one is a little long in the tooth. Plus the new one will be EV only. My friend that is a Porsche tech was just recently informed it has been delayed for a year.

I would consider a X3 M40i, but the G45 replacement is coming for model year 2025 and given that I keep my new vehicles for seven years I would regret purchasing a G01.

Last edited by SCA; 02-05-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:28 PM   #18
robg
Carmudgeon

G05 X5 LCI leaked

Quote:
Yes, that is carbon black. The only color I can force myself to live with on a pre-LCI.

My current X5 has under 10k miles and the BMW platinum extended warranty does not expire until May 2024. I am not doing anything until 3-4 months before then. I absolutely refuse to own any new BMW out of warranty. I do not care for the G05 pre-LCI so it is not an option, regardless of a nice discount and furthermore a discount would be unattainable on a priority 1 build. I will not buy off the lot.

The new Macan is coming. The current one is a little long in the tooth. Plus the new one will be EV only. My friend that is a Porsche tech was just recently informed it has been delayed for a year.

I would consider a X3 M40i, but the G45 replacement is coming for model year 2025 and given that I keep my new vehicles for seven years I would regret purchasing a G01.
Gotcha- makes sense. It seems like the Macan EV has been "coming next year" for like 3 years now.

Last edited by robg; 02-06-2023 at 03:36 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:17 PM   #19
SCA
Jaded

G05 X5 LCI has been unveiled. https://youtu.be/scAituh7Bqg

2024 BMW X5 Facelift: Redesigned Luxury SUV with Upgraded Features https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/02/07/2...-specs-photos/
Old 02-07-2023, 06:26 PM   #20
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Looks great - love the X5. Wish they could have made the X7 LCI as attractive. Incidentally, JST's best friend Herb emailed the other day regarding what my plans are once our lease ends in October...
zach is offline   Reply With Quote