carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-15-2023, 02:58 PM   #1
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Getting the itch…

Ok… so I’ve had the Model 3 for just shy of 4.5 years now. I’ve never kept a car much past 5 years (The Model S went just over 5.25 years)….

Been thinking about what’s next for a few months now. But the 3 only has 26k miles on it (combination of the accident taking 5 months to complete repairs and shifting to work from home (planned before COVID actually)…. The 3 has also been rock solid — maintenance has so far been minimal (the only unscheduled service was a tire replacement due to a nail too close to the sidewall and I just had the 12V battery replaced a couple weeks ago). So a part of me wants to just keep the 3 for a few more years. But the itch is hard to ignore…

Problem is, I’m all over the place. I’ve priced out all of the below:
  • Taycan Cross Turismo - there’s one in stock in Dallas that has a great config (Carmine red, with Limestone beige interior, and a decent set of options).
  • Kia EV6 (GT or regular) - I’ve been avoiding a test drive since I think I’ll like it a lot (love the design…)
  • Genesis GV60 - not yet avail in TX, but one of the reasons I’ve been holding off on testing the Kia is so I can test the GV60 and the Kia on the same day…
  • Rivian R1S - Haven’t seen one in person yet, but I love what I hear (and I’ve talked with a couple R1T owners. I’ve configured one, but a deposit now would be delivered in “late ‘23”…
  • Volvo EX90 or Polestar 3 - can pre-order now, but delivery won’t be for 12-15 months for either. Like the Polestar design slightly better, but it’s also priced about $15k higher.
  • ND Miata - yes, I’ve even configured an ICE…. Part of me is thinking why spend a bunch of money on something that doesn’t get a lot of miles and will often sit at the airport (I drive a couple hundred miles a month these days — and I’m traveling 1-3x most months now). One idea is getting a used Miata (why doesn’t Mazda offer the tan interior anymore?), and keeping the 3 (we’ll need a 3rd car once my daughter gets her license)…

Nothing imminent, but I may need to do some test drives…

Last edited by ZBB; 01-15-2023 at 08:32 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #2
JST

Keeping the 3 and getting an ICE sports car seems like a no brainer; this is a terrible time to sell a Tesla, and EV vehicles are only going to get better (while ICE sports cars are only going to get rarer).

A Miata is a good idea but if it’s going to be a third car and split driving duties with the Tesla, you could also get something more interesting. Supra? Boxster?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I suspect there will be a nice Boxster available when FC gets his GTS…

Edit: Confirmed? For the US market? A manual Z4 later this year… https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/01/14/b...-transmission/

Last edited by wdc330i; 01-15-2023 at 04:20 PM.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:23 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I suspect there will be a nice Boxster available when FC gets his GTS…
Yes. But definitely agree with an ICE sportscar.

I'll probably back myself into that setup when I upgrade from the GTI into what would likely be a nice-ish 4-door EV.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:36 PM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Yes. But definitely agree with an ICE sportscar.

I'll probably back myself into that setup when I upgrade from the GTI into what would likely be a nice-ish 4-door EV.
Makes a ton of sense, I think.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:23 PM   #6
ZBB
Relic

If I keep the 3, I have a mental block spending much more than a Miata costs…

As for other options, I have no interest in a Supra or Z4. I was also spoiled by my prior Boxster (987.1 S with full leather in a rare color combo), so if I went that route, I’d prefer a 981, but a 987.2 S might be OK. I’d skip the 4 cylinder 982s though….

Porsche’s search did turn up this: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...reowned-W72Z5M
Old 01-16-2023, 07:41 AM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm told the R1S drives much differently than the R1T...sounds like it has very different suspension tuning. Something to keep in mind if you're expecting an SUV version of the R1T
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #8
SCA
Jaded

As you know the novelty of my RIT wore off rather quickly. My experience with Rivian was and is still rather embarrassing at least on their part. Even though I notified my former Rivian Guide the day that I sold the truck, which included emailing her various information on the new owner at her request. Rivian service is still contacting me five months later in an attempt to schedule service for the three service tickets that I created in July. I have been contacted 2-3 times regarding a recall. Rivian has recently sent me a huge box of the all weather mats that had been delayed because of supply constraints. When orderers were notified of this I canceled and received a refund, yet they still shipped out the mats anyways. I have received three emails since the sale that I have a new guide (total of 3 since June ‘22). No clue what the story is behind that nor do I care. Every now and then I will receive a random text about my truck as well. Strange…

Generally when you notify an automotive manufacturer that you no longer own a vehicle or they have been contacted by the new owner, that’s it! To me it appears that certain individuals are not doing their job and/or communication within is nearly nonexistent. From the get-go when I was contacted that my truck was ready I noticed nothing but, disorganization. I thought it wasn isolated because of my original guide, but apparently not. Clearly I expected more… I will be highly surprised if they make it without a buyout.

Edit: Note, I want Rivian to succeed as I have the max of the initial IPO that was offered to R1T/R1S preholder’s. Their stock is in the toilet these days. I will be highly surprised if they make it without a buyout.

Several Top Rivian Executives Depart After Electric-Truck Maker’s Production Miss: https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/other...ss/ar-AA16fSY0

Last edited by SCA; 01-16-2023 at 10:02 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:57 AM   #9
ZBB
Relic

@JohnV - Considering I haven’t driven a Rivian, I’m not too concerned yet. At some point I’ll see how to test drive a R1S

@SCA - I’m also not convinced Rivian will make it. We’ll see — they need to scale and likely need help. The only question is who could save them? I’d say Honda if they didn’t seem to be stretching with Sony…

Also, I wouldn’t be too surprised about the disconnect between ownership and service. Tesla still has issues with that — I received an email from their Cinci service center about parts being in for a recall. I went into the app to schedule service, and it said mobile service was avail — and out in my old address in OH. Went back and confirmed Tesla has the TX address on file, but a behind the scenes DB still had the Ohio address…
Old 01-16-2023, 12:59 PM   #10
Alan
Carmudgeon

Wow that is some selection, have you driven a Polestar ? I did and I really liked how the interior was 'normal' instead of just a big ipad like the Tesla has. Don't get me wrong I think the tesla is really cool too but at least the Polestar is something different then what you are used to.

Also I would not rule out a 4 Cylinder 718, I have it in the Cayman and the Torque kicks in down low and the car is pretty fast. It kept right up with my sons M340. I know some here don't like the sound but I think it is a great engine. I never would have considered it but when I got a Cayman loaner many years ago I was surprised by what a great car it was.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote