carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-09-2022, 02:47 PM   #21
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I will remove it from the order then.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you place an order? What is your planned build? Are congrats in order?

FWIW, I noticed a tremendous difference in comfort on the X3 sport seats with and without ventilation. I noticed no difference in the X5 comfort Merino seats with or without massage / ventilation. We checked out about six different configs before we found ours. My vote is spend the extra $700 for the lux seating package, but its not my money.

Edit: just looking at the ordering guide, it looks like you have to order the heated seats separately from even the lux seating package. That is odd. If you are going heated, be sure to do 4HB with the heated steering wheel, door panel and arm rests. It feels really good to rest your wrist on the center console arm rest and have it toasty warm.

Edit again: I see heated from seats area standard equipment 494, so options are heated front and rear or heated wheel & arm rests
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3

Last edited by Josh (PA); 10-09-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #22
robg
Carmudgeon

Thoughts on the X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Did you place an order? What is your planned build? Are congrats in order?

FWIW, I noticed a tremendous difference in comfort on the X3 sport seats with and without ventilation. I noticed no difference in the X5 comfort Merino seats with or without massage / ventilation. We checked out about six different configs before we found ours. My vote is spend the extra $700 for the lux seating package, but its not my money.

Edit: just looking at the ordering guide, it looks like you have to order the heated seats separately from even the lux seating package. That is odd. If you are going heated, be sure to do 4HB with the heated steering wheel, door panel and arm rests. It feels really good to rest your wrist on the center console arm rest and have it toasty warm.

Edit again: I see heated from seats area standard equipment 494, so options are heated front and rear or heated wheel & arm rests

Yeah it’s not the extra 750 so much as the chance of making the seats less comfortable with the air bladders. Sounds like you did some pretty thorough testing before you got your x5 though.

I sent the dealer a link to my preferred config a few days ago but no actual order has been placed yet. I’m actually going to make some changes per this discussion. Yeah I’ll check the heated armrest option cause why not. Another change I may make is to remove the msport pkg. I do really like carbon black but i don’t really need to blow 3k more just to get it. I’m not a fan of any of the other color choices though (seems like they’ve really pared it down). I might actually end up with boring graphite grey since it’s the least worst imo. Phytonic blue doesn’t look right on the x5 imo. And I didn’t love manhattan green in person. I’m sick of black and white cars (even more than grey).

The dealer did send me a link to a price quote that included some bogus stuff (like starguard) so I’ll need to straighten that out. Technically it doesn’t really matter since of course I’m not actually purchasing the car yet but I’d like to try and sort that BS out sooner rather than later.

I would hold off on the congrats until I actually take delivery of the car…a lot could go wrong between now and then (including me getting cold feet !).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #23
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks- think I will remove it from the order then. Sounds like something that could potentially make the seats less comfortable while not really adding much useful functionality. Now that I think about it I’m not sure I even want the comfort seats- had them I my f10 and found that the mid backrest adjustment actually made it less comfortable (iirc that’s the main difference vs the standard sport seats)

Rob, I am not sure where you live but i believe you are in NY and I live in Melville which is the border of Nassau and Suffolk county and if you want to try out the multi contour seats in my car I would be more then happy to show you them and of course you’re going to have to drive my car around and see if they are comfortable Seriously let me know … these seats are the most comfortable seats ever …
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #24
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Rob, I am not sure where you live but i believe you are in NY and I live in Melville which is the border of Nassau and Suffolk county and if you want to try out the multi contour seats in my car I would be more then happy to show you them and of course you’re going to have to drive my car around and see if they are comfortable Seriously let me know … these seats are the most comfortable seats ever …

Thanks Alan! I really appreciate the offer but I actually live in Oregon now. I did have multi contour seats in my old f10 though so I’m pretty familiar with them.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:23 PM   #25
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Thanks Alan! I really appreciate the offer but I actually live in Oregon now. I did have multi contour seats in my old f10 though so I’m pretty familiar with them.

The multi-contour seats in our F15 were fab. No ventilation/massaging. Not sure that was an option back then…They were also great in the E61.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #26
robg
Carmudgeon

Thoughts on the X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The multi-contour seats in our F15 were fab. No ventilation/massaging. Not sure that was an option back then…They were also great in the E61.

Realized I have to get multicontour seats anyway if I want merino leather . Since I don’t want the fake leather it looks like I’ll be getting the multicontours

Old 10-09-2022, 08:03 PM   #27
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Realized I have to get multicontour seats anyway if I want merino leather . Since I don’t want the fake leather it looks like I’ll be getting the multicontours

As a counterpoint, we had the sport seats in our E70 X5 and they were darn firm. MC seats were far better suited to an SUV/wagon thing.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

Here's where I ended up for my x5 build:
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...keqtaf/summary

-kept the massage/ventilated seats
-dropped Msport so can't get carbon black
-switched color to grey (not thrilled but process of elimination since there are no good choices right now imo)
-Switched interior to coffee

If I do end up getting the car i'm excited about all the cool tech stuff, idrive plus the slick EV/hybrid mode it has. But I will miss the looks, interior and driving dynamics of the RRS. Also I liked Land Rover's auto access mode where it drops the car's air suspension when you park...even though this X5 has air suspension it doesn't offer that feature (weirdly...plus apparenlty it takes the suspension like 15 seconds to lower which is way longer than the RRS's).

There's actually a new RRS PHEV that just came out w/ about 50 miles of range but its eye wateringly expensive at 105k..its gorgeous though
Old 10-15-2022, 12:35 PM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Here's where I ended up for my x5 build:
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...keqtaf/summary

-kept the massage/ventilated seats
-dropped Msport so can't get carbon black
-switched color to grey (not thrilled but process of elimination since there are no good choices right now imo)
-Switched interior to coffee

If I do end up getting the car i'm excited about all the cool tech stuff, idrive plus the slick EV/hybrid mode it has. But I will miss the looks, interior and driving dynamics of the RRS. Also I liked Land Rover's auto access mode where it drops the car's air suspension when you park...even though this X5 has air suspension it doesn't offer that feature (weirdly...plus apparenlty it takes the suspension like 15 seconds to lower which is way longer than the RRS's).

There's actually a new RRS PHEV that just came out w/ about 50 miles of range but its eye wateringly expensive at 105k..its gorgeous though
That's a very handsome SUV. I hope you get it, so we can all hear about it.

I see on other boards that BMW offers a bunch of PHEV alternatives that we don't get--for instance, a 330e Touring. Darn it!

And of course the X3 PHEV they pulled the plug on here. But having driven that when it was available and the X5 variant--the X5 was far superior.

If you are able to get the full rebate, that will put your X5 close to what I paid for my 4 (not counting my trade-in and tax rebate, etc.). Yours will be quite a lot more vehicle, for sure.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #30
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
That's a very handsome SUV. I hope you get it, so we can all hear about it.

I see on other boards that BMW offers a bunch of PHEV alternatives that we don't get--for instance, a 330e Touring. Darn it!

And of course the X3 PHEV they pulled the plug on here. But having driven that when it was available and the X5 variant--the X5 was far superior.

If you are able to get the full rebate, that will put your X5 close to what I paid for my 4 (not counting my trade-in and tax rebate, etc.). Yours will be quite a lot more vehicle, for sure.

Thanks! Yeah I think it’s about as good as I can make it without msport and carbon black.

Was thinking about how a 330e touring would be the perfect car for me right now!

As long as the car arrives before end of year ill get the full 7500 tax credit. After that I don’t want it because the effective depreciation curve would be way worse (and I don’t anticipate keeping this car for more than maybe 2 years).