carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-07-2022, 02:53 PM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Thoughts on the X5 45e

With the passage of the "Inflation Reduction Act" in August, there were a bunch of confusing changes made to the elgibility requirements for receiving a tax credit on an EV or plugin hybrid. Due to mineral sourcing requirements (among other things) very few if any EVs/hybrids will likely qualify for a credit next year. However, between now and the end of year, we are in a weird transitional state where the old manufacturer caps still apply (so no Teslas yet), BUT the vehicle needs to be assembled in North America. The X5 45e is one of the few cars on sale that meets these requirements (but only through the end of this year) and qualifies for a full $7500 credit. The Audi Q5 plugin is another (assembled in Mexico) but they are pretty much unobtainium right now.

The X5 45e had been on my radar for a while but I never found the time or motivation to actually go for a test drive. My local dealer has 1 available (all others are sold or pre-sold), and it was in a pretty basic spec. Actually gets pretty favorable reviews (Harry's garage had 1 for a year and loved it..which I wasn't expecting).

The good:
-For the price of this car, minus the tax credit, I could essentially trade in my 3 year old Range Rover Sport for even money and get a brand new, comparable car. That is tempting.
-EV mode was better than expected. Plenty of torque and you can even drive it on the highway (at a steady speed) in EV mode. With 30 miles of range, I could pretty much drive this car almost exclusively on electricity.
-Still has Idrive 7...which is my favorite incarnation of idrive. Physical climate controls, etc. I still love the ergonomics of this generation of BMW interior.
-Very high build and material quality.
-Good ride quality (better than our current car) and decent handling for an SUV.
-Suprrisingly quick in regular mode (where the electric and gas engines work together).
-Good visibility

The bad:
-I forgot how much I dislike modern BMW steering feel. I thought maybe they'd improved it but this doesn't feel a whole lot better than my old x3. Our Range Rover Sport's steering is signifcantly better in terms of weighting and feel. (and yes I did try putting the steering in "sport" mode).
-Brakes aren't as good as the RRS either in terms of feel or stopping power. Not surprising given how much this car weighs and that it blends regen braking w/ friction braking.
-This particular car lacked some features that a) I have currently b) would really miss including a decent stereo (no HK on this one), no cooled seats, and no adaptive cruise.
-Seems to have less interior storage than the RRS (which has 2 gloveboxes, storage under the cupholders, a fridge in the center console, etc). But more rear cargo and slightly more rear seat room.

Overall, I think I would actually buy this car if it had my desired options. It is bizarre to me that BMW's "executive package" lacks HK and cooled seats. Also pretty unbelievable that adaptive cruise is not standard at this price (and in such a tech heavy car). This car also had BMW's fake leather (now called 'sensafin'). It has a ton of perforations, and I didn't get "sweaty back syndrome" during the test drive but I was only in the car for maybe 20 minutes. Unfortunately, they no longer offer the regular vernasca leather so you either get fake leather or you have to pony up for Merino (along with some other required options).

So, as of now, I think I'll leave it to fate. If someone cancels an order (with the options i want) before end of year I'll probably pull the trigger. (If I did my own custom order it wouldn't arrive before end of year).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #2
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I really liked the X5 45e. But no getting around the fact that it's a big heavy SUV and no sport suspension is available for it. I also doubt it would fit in my garage.

If they made a PHEV version of my car, I would have bought it. That amount of electric range is perfect for my use case and gives me the fuel source resilience I would want at this point.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #3
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I really liked the X5 45e. But no getting around the fact that it's a big heavy SUV and no sport suspension is available for it. I also doubt it would fit in my garage.

If they made a PHEV version of my car, I would have bought it. That amount of electric range is perfect for my use case and gives me the fuel source resilience I would want at this point.

There is the 330e which qualifies (for now) as well but of course it’s not a hatch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2022, 04:30 PM   #4
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
There is the 330e which qualifies (for now) as well but of course it’s not a hatch

Hatch is critical. Plus, underpowered and very poor range.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:23 PM   #5
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
The g05 platform is stellar. If I was buying new, the hybrid model would be what I'd get. It's unfortunate that the x5 options got all screwed up during the post COVID supply chain issues. I have a bunch of options on my '19 that aren't offered now.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #6
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The g05 platform is stellar. If I was buying new, the hybrid model would be what I'd get. It's unfortunate that the x5 options got all screwed up during the post COVID supply chain issues. I have a bunch of options on my '19 that aren't offered now.

Interesting - which options (it you happen to remember)?

Old 10-08-2022, 07:04 AM   #7
Josh (PA)
Hello.

This is our 4.0 build:
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...1&postcount=71

I don't believe you can get the luggage compartment option at all any more. I believe the bowers and wilkins sound system is now reserved for 5.0 cars. At various times soft close doors and the heated/cooled cup holders were removed. BMW took away the touch screen for most of 2021. That's just off the top of my head.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 10-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #8
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
This is our 4.0 build:

I don't believe you can get the luggage compartment option at all any more. I believe the bowers and wilkins sound system is now reserved for 5.0 cars. At various times soft close doors and the heated/cooled cup holders were removed. BMW took away the touch screen for most of 2021. That's just off the top of my head.
Yours is a great build.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #9
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
This is our 4.0 build:

Nice - yes I think you’re right about them no longer offering b&o and cooled cupholders. Atleast on the 45e, msport doesn’t include the adaptive m suspension either.

How do you like the tartufo merino and fine line wood interior? That’s the combo I’d likely try to get. And are the ventilated/massage seats worth getting?

Old 10-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #10
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Yours is a great build.
Agreed. We love it. It has a ton of things we wouldn't have paid for new, but really enjoy since it had them already. The only thing it is missing is surround view cameras. It only has the rear cam and it's a pretty tight fit in our garage

We like tartufo, but if I was ordering new, I'd probably go coffee if it was still available. The merino leather is very, very nice. Much softer than the base vernasca. The massage seats are pleasant but no where near as strong as the ones in our old merc e wagon. I don't know if id spend the money on them. I use the ventilated seats, but again not sure if they are worth the cost new. The comfort seats are great, I would definitely get them. One of the nice things about the BMW U/I is you can set temps for heated and cooled seats to come on automatically based on driver profile and key. I almost never have to change settings on anything when I get in because the car just knows what I like
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3