carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-20-2022, 04:05 AM   #21
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's amazing to me that people have abandoned sensible cars.

The 2022 Jetta is among the last of a breed that used to utterly dominate the automotive marketplace--the midsized sedan, sized to carry 4 adults and their luggage.

It addresses all of the familiar concerns. It has a big trunk. It has decent interior room. It has comfortable seats. The interior materials aren't expensive, but the design does a good job of disguising how cheap the plastic is. Most people wouldn't notice or care. It's not fast but it can keep up with traffic, and for a non-hybrid it gets remarkably good gas mileage. 1.5 liters and 157 hp isn't a lot, but the upside of the basic spec and smallish engine is a curb weight of less than 3000 lbs.

The Jetta doesn't handle like a sports car, but the damping is reasonable, the steering is light but accurate, and the braking is competent. It has a manual transmission, which is itself something to write home about. Shift throws are longish and the clutch is very light, but it's easy to drive and the small engine and tall gears means you actually have to shift to keep things moving, which is kind of fun.

Does it have a lot of features? Not really, though it's got more than you might expect. CarPlay, (manual) AC, a key fob that remotely unlocks the doors. Power windows, of course. The one I bought is missing some blind spot monitoring features because of the supply chain, but it has a back up camera. It has a brake-based eLSD, which you won't notice except maybe in the snow. The digital dash display is a basic, smaller, and way less flexible than the Audi-esque units on the upscale Jettas, but it looks nice and is legible.

All of this is 22K. Five or 10 years ago, when GTIs were 22K, this would have seemed insane, but these days it represents perhaps the best value in the automotive world. Other companies have walked away from this market completely, and those that still play in it (like Honda) don't actually have cars to sell you. And in all honesty, the Civic sounds like it might be a better car for similar money, if you can find one. Which (spoiler alert) you can't.

Most people are shunning these cars in favor of the Taos, which shares the same platform and engine but weighs a few hundred lbs and costs a few thousand dollars more. For the life of me, I do not understand this. The Jetta is all the car you need.

Not wanting to hijack this but anyone looking at a current VW is better off with a Honda. Similar engines, Honda Hatch etc............I've owned many GTI's btw

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:46 AM   #22
JST

Like I said, Hondas are (or at least were) effectively unobtainable. I talked to three or four local dealers and not only did they not have cars, they had no idea when they would get them, and no way to order specific options even if I wanted to wait.

Whether the car itself is better is kind of academic.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:59 AM   #23
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Like I said, Hondas are (or at least were) effectively unobtainable. I talked to three or four local dealers and not only did they not have cars, they had no idea when they would get them, and no way to order specific options even if I wanted to wait.

Whether the car itself is better is kind of academic.
And entry-level Hondas were about $4k more than the base Jetta when I was looking. Especially for a kid car, that is meaningful.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:37 AM   #24
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Whenever I drive by the dealership, the lot is pretty empty. Which deters me from looking any further because I get the sense I will be met with ADM and a whole lot of attitude.

If supply could loosen up, I’d love to drive a modern VW with a manual.

Everything JST is mentioning here just keeps goading me to stay interested.
I mean, they’re very serviceable, but I’m not sure that you’ll be especially happy. I’ve spent some time driving my Mom’s GTI, and the predominant impression was that it was like an audi, but worse. And if there isn’t a way to permanently disable to lane keep “assist,” it’s intolerable. I will absolutely not accept having to constantly fight the wheel because the car knows better.

For $20k, they’re good cars. But…
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:41 AM   #25
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I mean, they’re very serviceable, but I’m not sure that you’ll be especially happy. I’ve spent some time driving my Mom’s GTI, and the predominant impression was that it was like an audi, but worse. And if there isn’t a way to permanently disable to lane keep “assist,” it’s intolerable. I will absolutely not accept having to constantly fight the wheel because the car knows better.

That’s weird. You can turn it off in a BMW, but not in a VW?
Old 11-20-2022, 10:44 AM   #26
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
That’s weird. You can turn it off in a BMW, but not in a VW?
Not permanently. And the only way to turn it off in motion is to fully disable traction control. Which is what I end up doing because it’s buried *somewhere* in a fucking menu, even if I remembered to try to turn it off before going.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #27
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Not permanently. And the only way to turn it off in motion is to fully disable traction control. Which is what I end up doing because it’s buried *somewhere* in a fucking menu, even if I remembered to try to turn it off before going.
Ugh. is there some sort of Bimmercode equivalent for VWs?
Old 11-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

There’s a feature mandated in Europe called “emergency lane keeping assist”. It’s supposed to be less intrusive than normal LKA. Although it can typically be dysabmed via a menu it will come on again when the car is restarted. Bmws sold in Europe would have to have this too, but maybe they disable for
US cars or it’s less noticeable. I haven’t spent enough time in a recent bmw to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
There’s a feature mandated in Europe called “emergency lane keeping assist”. It’s supposed to be less intrusive than normal LKA. Although it can typically be dysabmed via a menu it will come on again when the car is restarted. Bmws sold in Europe would have to have this too, but maybe they disable for
US cars or it’s less noticeable. I haven’t spent enough time in a recent bmw to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can turn it off completely, or dial down how aggressively it intervenes.
Old 11-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #30
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:

Just need to not get the loaded Autobahn GTI to avoid that. I do admit that having adaptive cruise control would be nice after having it in our recent rental Corolla.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote