carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-02-2022, 02:02 PM   #21
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
There are 80 million ways that could make it more or less expensive and different carriers will assign and weight different drivers to different cars in different ways. For some carriers, it may not matter much how expensive the car is, but what their claim history is with them.

I'd also highly recommend getting many quotes (like a dozen or more) on each scenario. Good chance you'll find something reasonable...comparatively. With a teenage boy, best be prepared to pay up.

+1

Insurance guy here. Some carriers “assign” drivers. Some average drivers and assume they will likely drive any car on the policy. So it might not matter.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #22
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
+1

Insurance guy here. Some carriers “assign” drivers. Some average drivers and assume they will likely drive any car on the policy. So it might not matter.
My current company insures cars and assigns a primary driver to specific cars...My takeaway from some shallow research is both of us parents will have to insure him under our own policies if he has access to our cars. Good times!

Maybe they have a way to weight it that he will only have access to each fleet half the time...

There does not seem to be an easy or affordable way to insure a specific car (and exclude others) for just his use while he is a minor.

I really prefer to stay with my carrier, where I do have excellent rates and get good discounts for bundling everything. And I won't be able to shop just him around to other carriers (again until maybe he is 18.)

Also not looking forward to all the liability exposure either.

Teenage boy.

Sigh.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:22 PM   #23
SCA
Jaded

Re a teen driver on a divorcee’s auto insurance. I did not have to ever add my son to my USAA policy since he did not primarily reside within my household. Edit: This was per USAA circa 2016. I dodged a bullet on that one.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:43 PM   #24
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Re a teen driver on a divorcee’s auto insurance. I did not have to ever add my son to my USAA policy since he did not primarily reside within my household. Edit: This was per USAA circa 2016. I dodged a bullet on that one.
Super lucky. But, we are joint custody, so I don’t think that will fly. Seems like that old “custodial parent” thing is pretty anachronistic.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:01 PM   #25
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Super lucky. But, we are joint custody, so I don’t think that will fly. Seems like that old “custodial parent” thing is pretty anachronistic.
Legally we were joint custody, 50/50. Annually I had 175 days of co-parenting.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:41 PM   #26
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Legally we were joint custody, 50/50. Annually I had 175 days of co-parenting.
Interesting. Well, USAA’s legacy is as a pretty patriarchal/heterosexist company.

BTW, if I can get over its looks as I sleep on it tonight, I may buy a G26 M440xi Gran Coupe.

True confessions: I put in a deposit a couple of days ago on one for April-ish build/June-ish delivery, knowing I could think twice and back out later if I wanted. This was all based on reviews and features that suggested it was the Swiss Army car I am seeking.

But, one has suddenly become available at my dealer. So the decision time has suddenly moved up to right now.

It is black.

But that hides the grille best. LOL.

Otherwise, it does a great job of splitting the difference between fun car and practical car. The hatch gets me as close to SUV utility without having to drive an SUV as my only car. The ride and luxury are 5-series level, after living with a spartan 2 for years.

I just have to get over the blingy-ness of it all. It feels so conspicuous. But that may just be my impressions and sensitivity. After all, I’ve been driving all manner of BMWs for 20 years…

The car is built with all options except for passenger lumbar—and to the exact specs I was going to order (except for exterior color and wheels). So, no decontenting. And, it’s on the ground and ready to go, just as I was wondering how to get on with life with just a two-door convertible.

I think this can get me through the kid/dog years with a modicum of fun and a good deal of comfort. And then switch it up to whatever the compelling electric option is available.

BMW must really believe in this platform, because it is the basis of the i4.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #27
JST

So I guess I don’t see how this solves your problem better than keeping the 2 and buying something to run alongside it; maybe even a Maverick with a cap? I mean at a minimum having two cars means you could give the kid one to drive and not have to proceed on foot.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:49 PM   #28
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I used to, but will no longer, make built-in lumbar a dealbreaker.

I've found that a small tempur-pedic lumbar cushion, just sitting on the seat, feels much better on my back than any bmw and porsche 4-way lumbar. I usually keep those turned off, pushed in and use the cushion. It's about $60 or 70 and has to be the brand name. Only downside is that it's a bit hard for the few minutes of a cold drive, I don't mind. My back really acts up after an hour or so.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:55 PM   #29
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So I guess I don’t see how this solves your problem better than keeping the 2 and buying something to run alongside it; maybe even a Maverick with a cap? I mean at a minimum having two cars means you could give the kid one to drive and not have to proceed on foot.
True. It does not solve the kid problem. It will get me to a do-it-all one car, and a whatever car we all decide upon for son’s dedicated use.

Otherwise, we have two households that have to have two cars available to keep him covered.

Really, it hurts the head.

I see why people wait to get divorced until the kids are launched off to college.

And I can’t even imagine divorced families with multiple kids.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:57 PM   #30
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I used to, but will no longer, make built-in lumbar a dealbreaker.

I've found that a small tempur-pedic lumbar cushion, just sitting on the seat, feels much better on my back than any bmw and porsche 4-way lumbar. I usually keep those turned off, pushed in and use the cushion. It's about $60 or 70 and has to be the brand name. Only downside is that it's a bit hard for the few minutes of a cold drive, I don't mind. My back really acts up after an hour or so.
That makes sense. I can’t say I have ever successfully adjusted BMW lumbar settings.