carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
And which crashes first?? Home values or car values?
Cars for sure, though it may well depend on the local housing market. The big issue in many places is the limited supply of homes. Housing market may slow down or go down a bit (due to rising rates), but I doubt it will "crash."

If there is a significant correction, it will probably look more like stagnated prices for a few years, which combined with higher inflation, is in effect is lowering home values.

Just a bunch of guesses on my part.

But around here, there just isn't any land. What little there is is exorbitantly priced. So it's all teardowns here for new construction anywhere near Boston.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #22
SCA
Jaded

I was uncertain as to where to stick this, so it landed here…

Bring a Trailer Sold $829 Million in Cars in 2021, Walloping Auction Houses

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursu...auction-houses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
The one where supply catches up with demand first
Then it will be the automotive market.

Last edited by SCA; 01-10-2022 at 12:11 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:14 PM   #23
robg
Carmudgeon

Yep no doubt the used car market is heading for a crash though there are lots of opinions as to when that will actually happen. End of 2023 sounds like a pretty safe bet. We only have 1 car right now so if I wanted to take advantage of this market i'd have to sell it and drive a beater for a year or so. Not sure I really want to bother; it's a lease so I already know the worst case.
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:24 PM   #24
SCA
Jaded

The latest numbers on the microchip shortage: Better days ahead

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturi...ip-shortage-16
Old 01-10-2022, 04:51 PM   #25
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
The Used Car Market Will Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
The latest numbers on the microchip shortage: Better days ahead

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturi...ip-shortage-16

The big wildcard is what “new normal” will be for volume levels. Incentive spending is way down and they’re bringing in big margins right now. How much of that are they willing to give up, etc.

Do agree used car prices will correct but still not clear to me how big of a drop it’ll be. Really depends on how quickly they product enough excess volume to close the supply/demand disconnect from past few year+.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:55 PM   #26
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
The big wildcard is what “new normal” will be for volume levels. Incentive spending is way down and they’re bringing in big margins right now. How much of that are they willing to give up, etc.

Do agree used car prices will correct but still not clear to me how big of a drop it’ll be. Really depends on how quickly they product enough excess volume to close the supply/demand disconnect from past few year+.
I'd also expect that the appliance manufacturers will get to volume production a lot sooner than the top of the market.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:13 PM   #27
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post

The real question with both houses and cars is whether there will be a broader recession -- or, rather, when there will be a broader recession.

Until then, I agree with SARAFIL--there's a lot of silver linings in what's happening here for car companies, from rationalizing their production to moving to more ordering to driving up margins to giving them an incentive to bring more of these chip and software functions in-house to better control their supply chains. All of that suggests that even if there were an infinite supply of chips and labor tomorrow, the car companies might not increase production to the point it was in 2019.

There are going to be areas where prices have been crazy high where they will come down--eventually the market for Broncos will be saturated, eg., and the markups will go away. Overall, though, prices won't easily "return" in any real sense of that word.

But I also agree that the coming EVification of the auto biz is going to lead to some demand for legacy used cars, and that will keep the prices of those last ICE cars higher than we might be used to.

All of that goes out the window when there's an actual recession.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:51 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The real question with both houses and cars is whether there will be a broader recession -- or, rather, when there will be a broader recession.

Until then, I agree with SARAFIL--there's a lot of silver linings in what's happening here for car companies, from rationalizing their production to moving to more ordering to driving up margins to giving them an incentive to bring more of these chip and software functions in-house to better control their supply chains. All of that suggests that even if there were an infinite supply of chips and labor tomorrow, the car companies might not increase production to the point it was in 2019.

There are going to be areas where prices have been crazy high where they will come down--eventually the market for Broncos will be saturated, eg., and the markups will go away. Overall, though, prices won't easily "return" in any real sense of that word.

But I also agree that the coming EVification of the auto biz is going to lead to some demand for legacy used cars, and that will keep the prices of those last ICE cars higher than we might be used to.

Yep...plus I think more customers are now getting used to the idea of custom ordering a car from the factory and waiting... that's ultimately good for manufacturers as it allows them to produce the right amount of cars w/ the options that customers actually want. It had always been one of those articles of faith in the US that dealers had to have large inventories cause no one would ever wait for a car. And I think all manufacturers are figuring out ways to lower their "breakeven" point, allowing them to produce fewer vehicles at a higher margin.

While it's not widespread yet, I think we'll see more of the Tesla/Rivian style online configurators where you can actually "order" car directly online (even if it is still fulfilled by a traditional dealer). Polesetar seems to have figured out how to do that for example (from what I understand they basically pay the Volvo dealer closest to the customer a fixed %).
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:56 PM   #29
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Other factors that will or may play roles either directly or downstream...
  • inflation
  • interest rates
  • political stability/unrest
  • COVID
  • weather disasters
  • shifting nature of migration, lifestyle, and workplace trends

We still don't really know what the underlying nature of the post-COVID or the couldn't-beat-it-so-we're-gonna-live-with-it-COVID world will look like. All by itself, that is likely to have massive impacts on vehicle and real estate markets because where we live, where we work, and how we move are all going to change in many interdependent ways.

Then add in all the external shocks that can put everything else on its head in an instant.

Some of these are going to happen. We just don't know for sure which and how much.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #30
SCA
Jaded

Doug’s Predictions: Top Trends of 2022 https://youtu.be/10mdY8RqFQg