carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #511
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Im not "pissed" about it at all - I just don't get the appeal given the amount of planning one must engage in to drive 135 miles from home - I drive 160 miles a day to NJ and back, twice a week, to teach classes. There's no supercharged charger of any kind at the college. I'm not sure how I'd feel about driving a car like this given those limitations - especially after having spent considerably to obtain one.

I'd also be concerned, being here in the NE, that extreme cold weather would compromise output while simultaneously expecting heating and defrosting elements to do their work.

Perhaps if there were a real infrastructure in place for recharging, I'd feel differently.
Not sure where you are driving to, but I bet there is a charger at your destination that you could hook up to, even if it isn't a supercharger.

But you wouldn't need to. Charge before you leave the house; you have 200+ miles of range. There and back leaves you 50 miles to spare. Your point about winter is a reasonable one, though again you can warm the thing up while connected to your house before you leave.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #512
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Here's an interesting article:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In...e-of-its-range
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #513
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Why wouldn't the range be significantly higher if the same powertrain were offered in a car that was much lighter?

I haven't read my weight tables chart in CR since last April's issue, but there are cars at least under 3000 lbs - the nearer to 2300 - 2600 lbs (or so) figure would be some of the new mini cars like the Fiat 500 (base) and Nissan Note.

A car the size of the Tesla could be made much lighter, but it would require more advanced materials and construction techniques - I'd love to see a changeover and commitment like this, but significant partnership between private and public entities would likely be required ... hard to see happening in today's political climate.

.... and then there's the steel industry to contend with.

As an aside, my 2000 E320 weighs in at 3700lbs, which is light for a car of its size (by today's standards) - it turns in decent mileage (I'm averaging high 20's thanks to lots of highway driving).

I understand the Tesla isn't about raw numbers at this point, but I wish there were more of a commitment to lighter weight via different materials, manner of construction etc. - the technology exists.
I'm speculating the range would be similar for the model E because to get the price down it will likely be somewhat from improved battery tech but also using a smaller battery. And they seem to have hit upon a range number that satisfies enough buyers to the point where they can't even keep up with demand. So I see little inventive for them to offer greater range anytime soon.

As far as advanced construction/lighter weight it seems our best hope is now (strangely) bmw who invested in the company in Washington that can mass produce carbon fiber. But I think I remember seeing the weight for the various parts of the tesla and the body shell was like 800 pounds. So even if it was made of carbon fiber it would probably only save a few hundred pounds. Nice but not game changing.

Although I am more impressed with the mass produced carbon fiber than I am with teslas big battery. It is something that can be applied to all cars ICE and EV to improve fuel economy, handling and safety!
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #514
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Not sure where you are driving to, but I bet there is a charger at your destination that you could hook up to, even if it isn't a supercharger.

But you wouldn't need to. Charge before you leave the house; you have 200+ miles of range. There and back leaves you 50 miles to spare. Your point about winter is a reasonable one, though again you can warm the thing up while connected to your house before you leave.
Bloomfield College - believe me, parking is tough enough. Perhaps there's a charging station off campus.

How would this work:

My uncle lives in a New Hampshire resort area 13 miles from the nearest "town" (where there would likely be charging stations).

I visit him twice a year - it's about a 250 mile trek each way. Once there, we do quite a bit of driving around, going to dinner, the hardware store, stuff like that (everything's far away). How would I accomplish the "filling up" given the distance from town to where he lives? Would I leave the car in town 13 miles away while it charges up or just wait it out? How would I get there from CT 250 miles away without charging up? How long does it take to do these things?

I ask because I really don't know, but I wonder, when I look at how I drive, how I could ever accomplish a weekend like that with a Tesla without spending considerable time not only planning everything around refueling, but actually waiting for the refueling to happen.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #515
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Although I am more impressed with the mass produced carbon fiber than I am with teslas big battery. It is something that can be applied to all cars ICE and EV to improve fuel economy, handling and safety!
Yes, exactly!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #516
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I'm waiting for a Mr. Fusion.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #517
JST

Quote:
Bloomfield College - believe me, parking is tough enough. Perhaps there's a charging station off campus.

How would this work:

My uncle lives in a New Hampshire resort area 13 miles from the nearest "town" (where there would likely be charging stations).

I visit him twice a year - it's about a 250 mile trek each way. Once there, we do quite a bit of driving around, going to dinner, the hardware store, stuff like that (everything's far away). How would I accomplish the "filling up" given the distance from town to where he lives? Would I leave the car in town 13 miles away while it charges up or just wait it out? How would I get there from CT 250 miles away without charging up? How long does it take to do these things?

I ask because I really don't know, but I wonder, when I look at how I drive, how I could ever accomplish a weekend like that with a Tesla without spending considerable time not only planning everything around refueling, but actually waiting for the refueling to happen.
Could you add a charging circuit at his house? Or, if it's a resort area, suggest to the resort property owners that doing so might be in their interest?

Depending on the run/type, they are not that expensive--a NEMA 14/50 is a 240V, 50 Amp circuit, and the Tesla can add 20-30 miles of range per hour of charge on one of those.

But, yeah. Like I said, there are going to be cases where an electric car--even one with the range of the Tesla--won't work. For some people, a Tesla won't work as their only car for that reason. I certainly imagine that I will have to take one of my gas cars on some trips, even assuming the Supercharger build-out goes according to plan.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #518
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
How would this work:
Don't you own 2 cars?

Why does it have to work perfectly for your every need to be a viable product?

Just because a convertible doesn't fit my needs doesn't mean they shouldn't be produced at all.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #519
JST

Quote:
So, Bloomfield College near Montclair, right? And you're in CT somewhere--if you had to, it looks like you could supercharge at Darien on 95 on the way up or back. Wouldn't need to do much, just a quick stop.

And if you take the Merritt, they are added superchargers there, too, from what the people on the interwebs are saying.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #520
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Ok, so I see it takes an hour to charge up at the highest speed, but more realistically longer with the current infrastructure in place.

That means if you're staying anywhere far from home, a B&B for example, or at someone's house where there's no charger, you have to be prepared to spend considerable time in town and around charging stations - while your car "refuels".

The website makes light of this "have lunch while your car charges" ...

So, in my trip to New Hampshire, somewhere before the 200 mile mark, I'd have to have lunch near a charging station in northern Mass or southern NH. Then get to my Uncle's (where there'll be no charger) 13 miles from town.

At some point, I'll have to add another hour to charge (hoping it's a supercharger) and hit the road, and add yet another hour to "refuel" (if it's a SC) before getting home.

It's a car for people who have the means to experiment, but after having spent so much money, I still couldn't see it as a main car - the constant figuring, would get tiresome, god forbid you'd want to do something spontaneous and drive off course for a day - you'd have to call up a network of chargers and nearby diners...

Not for me, for others, enjoy it.