carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #91
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Built out an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport on their website, pretty nice car for the money. Too bad I am scared as hell buying an Italian car.
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #92
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Built out an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport on their website, pretty nice car for the money. Too bad I am scared as hell buying an Italian car.
Yeah, no way. It's pretty clear from reviews that the new Alfa's have more than a few problems.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #93
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Yeah, no way. It's pretty clear from reviews that the new Alfa's have more than a few problems.
I don't think i would even consider renting one, assuming Hertz or National even owns one!
Old 09-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #94
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I rented an Alfa once in the old country. (Pretty sure I posted about it here) For FWD hatch it was a very sweet car. The clutch didn't work and 1st or R didn't engage on certain cold mornings.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #95
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Yeah. Even I’ll concede at this point. Don’t think I’d even lease at a super price because of the annoyance standing factor.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #96
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
It’s pretty amazing. IIRC, Alfa was basically chased out of the American market decades ago because of their astoundingly bad reliability. Logically, one would think it would be priority number 1, 2, 3, and 4 to shore that up and make sure their product was near bulletproof before re-entering such a market, but no...
Old 09-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #97
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
It’s pretty amazing. IIRC, Alfa was basically chased out of the American market decades ago because of their astoundingly bad reliability. Logically, one would think it would be priority number 1, 2, 3, and 4 to shore that up and make sure their product was near bulletproof before re-entering such a market, but no...
Alfa probably has statistics to show that their reliability has improved over 150%

Unfortunately, this increased reliability only moved them from "very horrendous useless POS" to "useless POS"
Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #98
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Alfa probably has statistics to show that their reliability has improved over 150%

Unfortunately, this increased reliability only moved them from "very horrendous useless POS" to "useless POS"
Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #99
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Finally got some time to go look at 2017 MDX base with SH-AWD.

1. MDX looks ok, interior is Japanese luxury. Not as nice as German but decent, probably wear better though..

A lot of standard features plus semi-automatic driving safety features. Odd that it had lane control as standard so if detects you starting drifting into the other lane it corrects it for you. Yet it does not have blind spot monitor as standard which I actually want for these big to me cars.

Driving wise- wife had no complaints but I basically hated it. Power was there but you had to really shove down the throttle to activate it. Had drive modes that didn't seem to do anything. Finally the steering was wacky, if you did some semi-aggressive steering movement it seemed to try to counter steer against you. My guess it was the safety features working against me. So much computer controlled safety crap going I feft I was barely driving the car. No clue if the SH-AWD was under there but to be fair did not drive any decent roads since industrial area. But I can't see the car being fun to drive anyways on a mountain road.

2. I wanted to try out the Costco car buying plan. The costco dealer would not tell me the pre-arranged price over the phone. Said it was an costco policy because there was complaints about giving the price over the phone The san diego approved dealer was at the opposite end of the county so not exactly handy to get to.

Price ended up being ok but about $1500 over what I expected. Leasing seem ok, 3 years at 15k for $570 with nothing down. I think it was $26k buyout. Dealer would not let me take the pricing info. If wife decides she wants it I would probably prefer to lease so I can walk away.

>>>>>

We checked out the 4-runner with the third row. Third row is tight, more of like jump seats but I think that is basically what they are for anyways, temp kids seats. We didnt have time to drive one but guessing the wife will not like it. We will go back and drive one plus check out a new highlander

Also need to check cx-9 awd. On paper this seems like the best car, kind of in the middle of cost, luxury and still has decent gas mileage. Hoping it drives better then the mdx which I think it should based on the reviews.

and yes worlds slowest car buying process.
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #100
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Not as exciting as a mecan review would be.

I'm curious about the Mazda, but I doubt I'd buy one just on principle. Stupid 4cyl engine.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote