carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
LR4 rear locker comes on more often than I thought

I happened to want to use the LR4's elevation read-out to track general altitude as I drove through an area I usually cycle through. This mode shows the electronic locker(s)s and what they are doing "live." I have the HD pkg so I show two lockers - middle and rear. The rear is part of the rare HD pkg that dealers never order for stock vehicles.

To my surprise, as I was pulling away at a light at a brisk but reasonable pace, I saw the rear locker light up and stay on for a couple of seconds. I thought perhaps it was an error but then wondered if it is used to ensure smooth take-offs.

To test it, I decided to do what I've never done: a fast sprint off the line. I put the LR4 in Sport, hit the brakes, revved to about 2krpm and "launched" the car. Sure enough, BOTH lockers came on right off the line with the middle one going back to green shortly and the rear one staying on for a couple more seconds.

Thsi was on a hot day with totally dry roads. I'm curious if the non-HD LR4's use stability control to compensate or perhaps they are less smooth on take off. It is pretty clear the rear locker is doing something to assist take offs. I had always remarked on how smooth and drama-free the LR4 was off the line and fact that I don't recall it ever flashing the traction control lights even in the craziest of winter storms.

I guess my point is that, contrary to conventional wisdom from forums, it seems the HD pkg has some benefits beyond the obvious help in rock crawl mode or other severe off road duty work.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote