carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Some random car window-shopping

I spent a couple of hours stopping by dealerships today. Not really shopping as our garage is more than full, but it was fun to close some doors and sit in some new 'mobiles. Rushed a bit and not that serious, so didn't ask to drive anything. In no particular order, here are some observations.

BMW: There was an f10 manual non-sport 550i on the floor. I expect it will be there for some time. I'd like to see how the 245 all-seasons on the back contain all of that ridiculous torque.

I opened the hood of another 5er and saw the n20 for the first time. It looks positively tiny in the bay of the f10. Nice and far back. I'd worry about the first couple of model years though. I also can't imagine taking the 5er with that engine. The new 5er is heavy and even the 535i felt not fast to me at its intro, just normal. And then there's that disconnected steering thing.

They had a very attractive white/red '11 m3 coupe with a carbon roof. My heart skipped a little.

There was a '95 LTW on the floor. My heart skipped a lot. Apparently not for sale. Best car on the floor by far.

Porsche: I'm enjoying the 997 experience, but I still miss the little crocs. I wonder if the 981 will be as good. Perhaps I should have gone to a 987.2 and called it a day. Oh well. There were 3 cayman R's at this particular stealer. Only one non-PDK and it was peridot/lime green, msrp $76k.

VW: I checked out a golf R! Silly that another dealer told me it was unobtanium/order-blah-blah last week, and this week it's arrived with apparently no special order, just sitting. Anyway, this is a car that I've been waiting to see for some time. At this point, I don't think I'll be giving up my a4 for it.

- It's not that attractive. It's not terrible, but I really didn't like it in black. It really doesn't distinguish itself from the GTI. When I love how a car looks, I fall for it in almost any color.
- The interior though well designed felt very plasticky. The a4, also plasticky, wins by a mile. Basically TDI/GTI with a slightly different steering wheel. Blue needles, perhaps the others don't have that? Would like to see better quality leather/materials.
- VW dealerships are worse than I remembered, no offense but they're not near bmw/audi dealers in feel/appearance.
- The drive/sound/fury/fun might do it, but I like my luxo a4 too much and it's been way too good to me. The long wheelbase/better weight balance is calm on the highway and the led's/MMI/B&O are well figured out. It's just a better long distance car.
- In the end, I could fall in love with porsches & m3's standing still. The emotional connection does not happen to me in the golf R.
+ On the plus side, it comes with a real spare. The tires were pirelli p zero nero all-season, not too sporty but not a bad choice for the real world.
+ It's not that badly priced at $35k. I also saw a wrx (not an sti) with a bog-econo interior, 5-speed and nav somewhere in the low to mid-30's. Stupid.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Saw a new Golf R driving around today in Boston. It was a blue one and looked nice, but didn't really jump out at me right away as being anything special until I saw the rear end with the center exhaust.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Also stopped at a Cadillac dealer. First time ever, perhaps?

Two new cts-v sedans, one stick. Both locked. Some cpo cts-v's also locked. Stupid.
The triple black diamond paint on the cts-v is something special. Very nice paint. I can't comment on the interior because I couldn't get into one without striking a conversation.

Window sticker was around $73k for the V's. Holy crap, I wonder how deep the discounting will be.

Sat in an SRX. Very nicely done. Awesome seats, decent visibility and ok claimed mpg. Standing still felt like a very good crossover/SUV. I'd consider that car if I were shopping that segment.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

I sat in a CTS-V at the car show this weekend. It had the Recaros and they were amazing seats. Very comfortable and supportive.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
JST

The F10 is a terrible pig on the road. I haven't driven a 550i, but the 535 6MT non-sport I drove was utterly uninspiring. I have no idea who would buy that car; with a stick, you'd think enthusiasts, but no enthusiast is going to willing buy that thing.

I agree that the Recaros in the CTS-V are very good. I still haven't driven a new one, but I've sat in a couple and am impressed each time.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
I'm kind of intrigued by the new 4 in the Z4, I like that it's lighter and is set farther back in the engine compartment. More fuel efficient too.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I'm done with 4 cylinder engines.

Politically incorrect, I know.

The MCS turbo 4 is a great 4. Best 4 cylinder I've ever owned.

It still sucks.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post

It still sucks.
haha

I'm pleased with the N55. I'll admit that I briefly said I'd consider the N20, but the pricing makes it pretty clear to me that if I do get an F30 it will also be a N55.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:

It still sucks.
I drive the MCS seldom enough to not bother me, but as a DD, I'd go nuts.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
JST

Quote:

It still sucks.
Not sure I understand the 4 cyl. hate. In a heavy car, they can be overworked, but there's nothing inherently wrong with a properly powerful 4. They're loud and thrashy compared to a six, but to coin a phrase "that's how you know it's working." I'm perfectly OK with a bit of engine noise in my cars.

I haven't driven the new BMW 2.0L yet, but the numbers that it put up in that Edmunds comparo vis a vis the old N/A 3.0L were very impressive, and you can't argue with the weight savings.

VW's 200 hp DFI four has been around long enough that it seems like ancient tech these days, and it's being routinely outgunned by newer engines. Still, I remember having that engine in a 3600 (?) lb Audi and being pleased with its performance everywhere other than at highway speeds in the mountains.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote