carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Thumbs down Flat tire on the e90

The wife called after work yesterday. She said it sounded like something was banging around in the wheel well, so she pulled into a gas station and the noise went away. When she got out of the car she heard the drivers side rear leaking air.

I got there and it was out of air. We found the debris that caused the puncture, some sort of grey ABS plastic cylinder that had a nasty sharp edge on it. I imagine she picked it up (didn't see it because of the color) and it bounced around in the wheel well for a while.

Because you can't plug a run flat, I now have to buy two tires. I had planned on buying a set of non-run flat summer and winter wheels and tires, and now I have to decide exactly what I'm going to do. I have issues spending money on new run flats that I'm going to turn in at the lease end un-used. At the same time, if I keep using the OEM's and get another puncture... I'm going to have to buy a whole new set of tires.

To top it all off the Run flats have been getting louder and are driving worse all the time. We've got about 21,000 miles on them and they're driving me nuts. These run flats suck, IMHO.