carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
As we get older, it's increasingly difficult to be serial car buyers.....

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
lemming
Western Anomaly

....or not. Depends.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
As we get older, it's increasingly difficult to be serial car buyers.....
Yup. I had around 14, changing on an average of ever three years. Then all of the sudden, bam, I have this one for nine plus. Not sure I'll go back to the serial mode ever.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
We are mostly on a 5-7 year interval. With just a few cars not lasting that long. I see no need to replace the current fleet in less than our usual longer interval.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
We are mostly on a 5-7 year interval. With just a few cars not lasting that long. I see no need to replace the current fleet in less than our usual longer interval.
I used to be on a fairly frantic replacement schedule, driven mostly by 2 and 3 year leases.

The first Tesla only lasted 3 years, but the VW went 5 and the Porsche is now going on 8.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #16
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I think your fleet is perfect JST. I mean you traded muscle for traction (Golf R) and tech (Tesla).

One funny thing I've noted about my car parked next to any newish midsize sedan. When I first got my car I was looked at the vertical grill and long raised hood compared to what was coming out at the time (08 so E60, E9x etc) and thought man compared to these slopping fronts my car looks sooo upright. I still loved it though.

Now as I said park next to anything newish my grill and hood line seem low and sleek. Amazing what PSS will do to design. Also I was at Costco a few weeks ago parked next to an F10. Holy crap. It looked SO big next to mine. Times change.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I think your fleet is perfect JST. I mean you traded muscle for traction (Golf R) and tech (Tesla).

One funny thing I've noted about my car parked next to any newish midsize sedan. When I first got my car I was looked at the vertical grill and long raised hood compared to what was coming out at the time (08 so E60, E9x etc) and thought man compared to these slopping fronts my car looks sooo upright. I still loved it though.

Now as I said park next to anything newish my grill and hood line seem low and sleek. Amazing what PSS will do to design. Also I was at Costco a few weeks ago parked next to an F10. Holy crap. It looked SO big next to mine. Times change.
i think eventually you figure out what you like/don't like. the bad experiences really can put a damper on car buying experiments.

it takes awhile to figure out what you like. then it takes awhile to find that in a car. and then it takes awhile (for most of us) to reach the means to get the car.

in the Current Era of cars, there's largely nothing appealing, is the problem.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #18
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i think eventually you figure out what you like/don't like. the bad experiences really can put a damper on car buying experiments.

it takes awhile to figure out what you like. then it takes awhile to find that in a car. and then it takes awhile (for most of us) to reach the means to get the car.

in the Current Era of cars, there's largely nothing appealing, is the problem.
Yeah, that's really my issue. I don't lust after any of the Porsches or BMWs made now--more than that, I don't particularly even want any of them (save maybe the new manual GT3, but I can't afford that).

As I think of it, there really isn't a single car that I can think of within my price range that I'm excited about.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #19
TD
Founder emeritus

Chevy SS with MT for sale in MD

That's my problem too. I can think of cars I'd be happy with (or I assume I'd be happy with) but they're at prices I won't consider paying. Nothing makes me feel like writing a fat check, even while I'm itching to drive something newer and more engaging than an 18 year old E39.

Meanwhile, the new cars I may have lusted for a handful of years back don't seem particularly appealing as used purchases.

Sucks.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:06 PM   #20
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Not sure if it's us or the cars. I feel mostly the same way.

I am quite happy with the 2 series. But I don't know what I would buy now if I needed a four-door solution that's also fun to drive. I think that's where the dearth of exciting options is really acute. Basically, you have some version of the Golf as the most enticing car.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote