carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #41
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Just watched it. It’s pretty funny at the end during the driving impressions where he is flooring it and keeps looking around for cops.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #42
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Just watched it. It’s pretty funny at the end during the driving impressions where he is flooring it and keeps looking around for cops.
Ha ha yes, and it's funny how it breaks through his whole weird affect -- he just sounds like a normal person then.

The CT5 V is really cool, but that D pillar trim isn't even a window, I guess?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #43
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
For some reason (logical probably), German engines seem more efficient in getting power to the ground, and this shows up in trap speeds in the quarter mile.
1) Four-valve engines have broader powerbands than two-valve engines. The area under the curve is greater and that's what matters for acceleration.
2) German companies tend to under-rate their powerplants.

I really want to be excited by the CT5-V Blackwing. I really do. But I'm not. Part of it is knowing what an awful ownership experience my buddy had with his CTS-V wagon, part of it is the underwhelming interior, part of it is the abysmal fuel economy. I bet it's really great to drive but I'm just meh on it.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #44
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
1) Four-valve engines have broader powerbands than two-valve engines. The area under the curve is greater and that's what matters for acceleration.

I really want to be excited by the CT5-V Blackwing. I really do. But I'm not. Part of it is knowing what an awful ownership experience my buddy had with his CTS-V wagon, part of it is the underwhelming interior, part of it is the abysmal fuel economy. I bet it's really great to drive but I'm just meh on it.
I mean watching the video you can see how the little bits in the interior are typically GM cheap compared to what you might expect in a $100,000 car.

And yeah the fuel economy is going to be punishing. On that front, I really have to hand it to the F82. It's not exactly fuel efficient, but compared to the E90 M3 or this it's like a freaking Prius. My average is in the high teens, which doesn't sound great but is probably 80 percent better than what you'd get in this (or what I got in the V8 M3).

I keep coming back to the point that this car has probably 150 - 200 more hp than I really want/can use.

At the end of the day as much as I want to buy a car like this (and as much as I know I wouldn't lose much money doing so), if I'm going to spend $100K on a last of the line car it's going to be a Boxster GTS.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #45
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

The appeal to me is the ZL1 power train in a sedan. I could give up pure performance for that. And yes, abysmal fuel economy comes with that.

The interior bits and pieces would drive me nutty. So as dumb as it sounds, that might be the showstopper. Cars are so good nowadays (see new Jeep GC and new Jeep Wagoneer, see new Kia Telluride, see any Audi) that it’s not acceptable to live with that kind of interior at any price point above $60,000.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #46
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
If I'm going to spend $100K on a last of the line car it's going to be a Boxster GTS.
Is a last of the line Boxster GTS going to be attainable for $100k?

The CT-5 does not excite me because it's just too much. As much as I'd like it, I don't think I'd really enjoy it. The CT-4 Blackwing has my attention because I think it has a more real-world envelope (although, is probably also way too far beyond).

The Alpha platform is just sooooooooooo good.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #47
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Is a last of the line Boxster GTS going to be attainable for $100k?

The CT-5 does not excite me because it's just too much. As much as I'd like it, I don't think I'd really enjoy it. The CT-4 Blackwing has my attention because I think it has a more real-world envelope (although, is probably also way too far beyond).

The Alpha platform is just sooooooooooo good.
But the platform in the ‘2 door’ application doesn’t make pretense of being a luxury vehicle. it’s most like an American TVR Tuscan. With expectations more on the power train and averted from the interior and at a certain price point, it’s all good.

We are talking about a car that lives at the stratosphere of what an E63 S sedan costs.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:50 PM   #48
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
But the platform in the ‘2 door’ application doesn’t make pretense of being a luxury vehicle. it’s most like an American TVR Tuscan. With expectations more on the power train and averted from the interior and at a certain price point, it’s all good.

We are talking about a car that lives at the stratosphere of what an E63 S sedan costs.
I'm sorry, let me say it another way:

THE ALPHA PLATFORM IS JUST SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD.

Two doors? Four doors? Eighteen doors? Whatever.

What you're talking about is suspension tuning. The interiors are what they are, but that's choice of materials that impacts how you may feel about owning or sitting in a car, but as long as the important physical touchpoints are decent, they don't impact what it feels like to drive it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #49
JST

No idea whether the GTS would really be attainable. I'll probably dither long enough that even if it is for some people, it won't be for me.

Your point on the Alpha is well taken. I like the CT4 V a bunch but the twin turbo V6 is...idk, I'd really love it if they just point a 7.0L LS in there. That would be amazing.

Or if they would make the Camaro but like...not a Camaro.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:16 PM   #50
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I'm sorry, let me say it another way:

THE ALPHA PLATFORM IS JUST SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD.

Two doors? Four doors? Eighteen doors? Whatever.

What you're talking about is suspension tuning. The interiors are what they are, but that's choice of materials that impacts how you may feel about owning or sitting in a car, but as long as the important physical touchpoints are decent, they don't impact what it feels like to drive it.
I know how good the ALPHA platform is.

But I have no issue with the ZL1, at the $65,000 price. I would not pay $120,000 for the BW LT5. I’d just get the 2024 ZL1.