carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
clyde
Chief title editor

If I had to go with a street tire to act as a rain tire...the Hankooks are what I'd go with if the sizing worked. What I didn't like about the Hankook on the RX-8 was that because it was a little short compared to OE (225/40-18 vs 225/45-18), I racked up mileage about 3% faster than I should have. OTOH, having the speedo read a couple MPH high at highway speeds probably never hurt me.

The tires wore pretty nicely on the street. I put about 14k on them and they still have plenty of life left (and are going on the front of the Boxster as streets). One of them has a couple screws in it, though. They were quiet, ride nicely and have more than enough grip for the street. FWIW, this is the same set that I did the Evo Challenge school on back in 8/05. And they're cheap.

We only ran them in the wet once (Devens, Saturday), and the experience didn't give us the warm and fuzzies. I don't think that we were anywhere close to right on pressures, and I don't think we drove very well. Still, though, I'm not sure that we did the wrong thing running those tires.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I thought you were an all-season guy? In that case I'd look at the Avon M550 or the Kumho ASX.

I'm happy with the Kumho SPT on the M3 and would definitely buy them again. I'll be able to give you a comparison between the SPT and the Avon M500 soon as I just ordered them for the vette since it already had 1 good one on the car

FWIW, ST* guys seem to like the M550 and the SPT for rain use.

You should be able to fit a 245 all the way around right?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Wow.

Edgeracing.com has the Hankooks in Boxster 18" sizes for $580. I wonder if the Michelins are twice as good. :shifty:
Dammit, now you are making me wonder yet again if I should order those instead. I haven't ordered them yet.

The only matching set in that site are the Toyo Prozes T1r. And the set is
Are THOSE any good?

They are $600 cheaper than PS2's for the set.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
The reason I don't buy super expensive tires is that I would feel inclined to get my money's worth out of them and use them right to the wear bars. Of course, once you're anywhere near the wear bars they suck ass in rain.

I'd rather get cheaper tires and replace them sooner. I'm probably safer that way.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
FC, I'm kind of kidding. I'm sure the PS2s are absolutely fantastic tires. I just can't honestly see myself buying a tire like that, because I would never feel like I got my money's worth out of them. Are they THAT much better in the wet? Are they THAT much quieter and that much longer lasting?

I'm with Matt. I'd rather have fresh tires every couple years rather than try to get every last mile out of an expensive set.

To me it has come down to the Dunlop Direzza, the Kumho SPT, the Avon Tech M500 and the Hankook Z212. All of these tires have very good survey responses at Tire Rack (except the Hankook, which isn't sold there). Of those, the Hankook will probably last the least long, since it's molded with less tread depth and a stickier compound.

I have driven on the T1R and was not impressed. Very squirmy and wandery. Learic had them on her RX-8 and she didn't like them either.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #16
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I thought you were an all-season guy?
I don't know what I am.

I need to buy *something* to drive on this summer, so I'm thinking I might as well make it decent for autox rains too. Then again, the fedex lot is on a hill. How much standing water can there be?

I really hate the fact that it means I'd need to run staggered wheels. I might just put 225's on the four 7.5" M68's I have, and if I happen to run them in the rain, people can protest me. But in that case I guess I might as well just stick with the R-comps.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #17
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
FedEx can easily get wet enough to require treaded tires. The lot as a whole is sloped, but there are flat areas that can gather a lot of water.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #18
rautox
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: Phone book... or two
It's actually a matter of how much running water there can be. I've had it running over the tops of my shoes more than once on that lot. It's ... weird.
rautox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #19
rumatt
Mugwump

Thanks guys. I'll think of something...
Old 03-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #20
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I might just put 225's on....
I thought 245's all around fit on the e46?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote