carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-16-2003, 05:30 PM   #21
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
All of you guys who aren't satisfied with the E46 M3 *really* wouldn't be satisfied with the M5. The M5 is clearly a great sedan, but the only reason to buy one over the M3 is that you *really need* two more doors, and simply could not live with a two-door car. Otherwise, save yourself $20K and get the M3.
If my current situation allowed me to have an E39 M5 for daily driving and another car for autox, I suspect that I would be more than satisfied with the E39 M5. I really enjoyed the Q45 while I was driving it (aside from the multiple engine replacements). So long as I need one car to do everything, it won't cut it, though.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 07:59 PM   #22
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
All of you guys who aren't satisfied with the E46 M3 *really* wouldn't be satisfied with the M5. The M5 is clearly a great sedan, but the only reason to buy one over the M3 is that you *really need* two more doors, and simply could not live with a two-door car. Otherwise, save yourself $20K and get the M3.
If my current situation allowed me to have an E39 M5 for daily driving and another car for autox, I suspect that I would be more than satisfied with the E39 M5. I really enjoyed the Q45 while I was driving it (aside from the multiple engine replacements). So long as I need one car to do everything, it won't cut it, though.
I'll reserve judgment until I drive one extensively on the street, but comparing the M5 to the M3 is sort of like comparing the M3 to...hmm...maybe an RX-8 with 100 extra hp? The M5 is bigger, heavier, slower-witted, and just not as much fun.

Honestly? Instead of an M5 I'd buy a G35 (which is more direct and offers more feedback) AND an Evo and pocket the extra 10 grand.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:26 PM   #23
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
I'll reserve judgment until I drive one extensively on the street, but comparing the M5 to the M3 is sort of like comparing the M3 to...hmm...maybe an RX-8 with 100 extra hp? The M5 is bigger, heavier, slower-witted, and just not as much fun.

Honestly? Instead of an M5 I'd buy a G35 (which is more direct and offers more feedback) AND an Evo and pocket the extra 10 grand.
That's just it...for a car that's only going to be used for commuting, errands, trips, etc...you know, a normal car, the M5 would be perfect. Tractable power is everything while size, weight, and dare I say it, feel just aren't all secondary.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:29 PM   #24
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I'd rather own an M5 than a G35 and an Evo. Neither car offers the polish and poise of the M5, and neither car offers the acceleration either. Roadholding and handling may be compromised slightly -- and I mean slightly. The catch is that I would not give up a car like my M3 for one. While technically superior in every way, I do not believe that it is as fun to drive. It has a character best suited for a daily driver family car, which is what it is...only with a BIG shot of ///adrenaline.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:50 PM   #25
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Maybe the MCS's steering feel is THAT good?
it's pretty good

it's no Elise though :P
Old 12-16-2003, 11:31 PM   #26
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
The EVO better be pretty damn good, because the M5 offers much more feedback than the G35 and is a ton more fun to drive.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:33 PM   #27
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate
It isn't great but it isn't nearly that bad.
I drove the M5 right after I drove Leif's MINI Cooper S and the difference was night and day. Very first thing I noticed that was sort of out of place on a car like this.

Maybe the MCS's steering feel is THAT good?
What do you expect?

The M5 is a huge car

Never driven a Mini though, so I don't really know. It isn't any faster than my car though.

The M5 is a ton of fun though. Tons of power oversteer :awe: aranoid:
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:42 PM   #28
TD
Founder emeritus

Personally, I'd probably pick the S4 over it anyway.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 12:51 AM   #29
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
I bet there's an alter ego of yours (meaning a different person, not a Holden) over on some Audi boards somewhere, who bought a new A4, sold it for the older model, and would probably pick the M5.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:37 AM   #30
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
I bet there's an alter ego of yours (meaning a different person, not a Holden) over on some Audi boards somewhere, who bought a new A4, sold it for the older model, and would probably pick the M5.
My point was more that when it comes time to drop my, say, $30K in 3-4 years, would I rather get a 2 year old S4 or a 5 year old M5?
TD is offline   Reply With Quote