carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #21
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
that's pretty odd.
How many miles were on it? I was told by BMW that I was required to replace wheels in pairs?

I probably should replace the tires in pairs. On the other hand, there is a zero percent chance that I am going to lay out an extra $360 to replace a perfectly good tire with plenty of tread left on it unless someone can give me an absolute, iron-clad reason I have to.

Keep in mind that BMW is also the company that tells you not to rotate your tires, even in non-staggered applications.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:09 PM   #22
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

I probably should replace the tires in pairs. On the other hand, there is a zero percent chance that I am going to lay out an extra $360 to replace a perfectly good tire with plenty of tread left on it unless someone can give me an absolute, iron-clad reason I have to.

Keep in mind that BMW is also the company that tells you not to rotate your tires, even in non-staggered applications.
Ya, the not rotating tires is completely stupid. The front OEM tires had at least twice the tread left of the rears. I got the new tires because there was zero chance I was paying money to keep driving on the crapass runflats.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #23
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Those ASA wheels are nice, I've got a set for my snows (you can get the little BMW inserts to replace the ASA ones).

To me, the main advantage to RF's is safety, you're less likely to have a blowout and, as Josh showed, less likely to be stuck on the side of the highway wrestling with a 50lb wheel and tire.

Whether or not it's worth the dollars is a personal call.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #24
SCA
Jaded

I just remembered that my father had to have two RFTs replace on his X5. The total with mount & balance was just stupid! Oh and parts didn't have the tires in stock so they had his car for 3 days.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote