carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #1441
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Talk me out of this.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #1442
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Talk me out of this.
It has an automatic and is expensive
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:12 PM   #1443
JST

Yeah you have a Mercedes for this role. Spend the same amount and get a used GT3 for the weekend.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:12 PM   #1444
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
It has an automatic and is expensive
I don’t know that a true manual is a good fit for the Modern Turbo.

I think it is expensive. But I wonder if depreciation will now hold steady.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:55 PM   #1445
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:

I wonder what this one will go for. More collectable and arguably more fun than the turbo
https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...carrera-gts-1/
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:07 PM   #1446
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

When you say it is expensive are you referring to spending $160k on a car in general or are you saying the car is overpriced ?

I might be wrong but $160k for a 18k mile 3 year old turbo non ‘S’ seems high and once the COVID spell breaks the used car bubble will eventually break ...

If the itch is still there to get another car after getting the MB, the Camaro and the Jeep then get an allocation and get the 992S.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #1447
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I wonder what this one will go for. More collectable and arguably more fun than the turbo
https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...carrera-gts-1/
I was looking at GTS cars for a bit. Yes.

But when I do the analyses, is it not true that GT3 and then Turbos hold their value the best? The issue with the AMG GTR and any McLaren is depreciation.

And when the new base price on a 911 Turbo is $197,000, this price range is not out of hand. The COVID19 bubble is in effect, but I’d say this is close to what used Turbos get.

And no, this doesn’t replace a ZL1. This would replace the 987.2.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #1448
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:

But when I do the analyses, is it not true that GT3 and then Turbos hold their value the best? The issue with the AMG GTR and any McLaren is depreciation.

And when the new base price on a 911 Turbo is $197,000, this price range is not out of hand. The COVID19 bubble is in effect, but I’d say this is close to what used Turbos get.

There were 60 club coupes made, so this one is pretty rare. Look at the values of the 50th anniversary vars for an idea. My guess is this may go for more than the turbo is listed at, but it won't depreciate at all.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:13 PM   #1449
JST

Quote:

It seems like it would be immensely faster than the 987.2 and immensely less fun to drive, honestly. To me, the 911 Turbos solve a very niche problem that I don't ever see having--the mythic "grand touring" use case, where I am blasting across a continent with stratospheric speed limits (but also need an automatic for some reason) with one passenger and no luggage and I don't want to put the top down. It would be nice to do that, but I've never been in a position to and I doubt I ever will.

In every other use case it just seems ill suited. It's not a good track car, it's too fast and powerful to use on the street, it can putter along in traffic but it's wholly wasted (and it likely gets terrible gas mileage) and on and on. I just don't see the reason to have it over a "normal" 911, even if you want an automatic.

But I guess if you're not happy driving the Mercedes in traffic and want something sportier, it is an option.

I wouldn't get the Club Coupe. It looks like fun but it's way too much stress having a "collectible" car that you're trying to keep pristine for the next owner/resale purposes. And I'd feel even worse every time I scratched that car than I do when I scratch my current POS 987.1.

IDK. Maybe the Turbo will hold its value, maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if it did. But I also think you have to be prepared to lose 20 percent or so, just because that seems like what used cars lose in any normal market. And 20 percent of 150K is...not so far off what the 987 is worth. In other words, with your base that high, small variations in residual are going to lead to very large swings in absolute terms.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:19 AM   #1450
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It seems like it would be immensely faster than the 987.2 and immensely less fun to drive, honestly. To me, the 911 Turbos solve a very niche problem that I don't ever see having--the mythic "grand touring" use case, where I am blasting across a continent with stratospheric speed limits (but also need an automatic for some reason) with one passenger and no luggage and I don't want to put the top down. It would be nice to do that, but I've never been in a position to and I doubt I ever will.

In every other use case it just seems ill suited. It's not a good track car, it's too fast and powerful to use on the street, it can putter along in traffic but it's wholly wasted (and it likely gets terrible gas mileage) and on and on. I just don't see the reason to have it over a "normal" 911, even if you want an automatic.

But I guess if you're not happy driving the Mercedes in traffic and want something sportier, it is an option.

I wouldn't get the Club Coupe. It looks like fun but it's way too much stress having a "collectible" car that you're trying to keep pristine for the next owner/resale purposes. And I'd feel even worse every time I scratched that car than I do when I scratch my current POS 987.1.

IDK. Maybe the Turbo will hold its value, maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if it did. But I also think you have to be prepared to lose 20 percent or so, just because that seems like what used cars lose in any normal market. And 20 percent of 150K is...not so far off what the 987 is worth. In other words, with your base that high, small variations in residual are going to lead to very large swings in absolute terms.
There is no logic for a car like this.

The thing that caught my eye was the non S variant still runs the quarter mile in 10.9 seconds —which is basically on par with the Hellcat. Which is ludicrous for a fat bellied GT of a 911.

It’s just like Everest. It’s there. So one feels compelled to climb it.