carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I never remotely understood the point of these unless off-road driving is the plan.
Many of us "enjoy" our sports or sporty cars on the streets. Would they be better at a track? Yeah, but if it appeals to folks, which it does in a big way (all that imagery of conquering waterfalls and boulder-y mountains), so be it.

I need a good awd/4x4 system that I can trust on snowy highways (40-50mph on packed) and deep unplowed snow in parking lots/country lanes. That's where clearance helps as well. The climate is different from DC to NYC and then again to NYC to Boston and then again to the north... So while I questioned FC's LR4 back in the day, I see it as a solid choice for year-round Boston to Montreal capability.

After many winters of minor damage with low clearance, I had several bumpers/valences/whatevers in a row that were damaged by hard ice piles.

I've considered a Wrangler. Once I sat in one (must have been a 2018 model), I passed.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #12
Alan
Carmudgeon

I’m not into these cars but the kids seems to think they’re cool ... I want to ship her A4 down to her but going back and forth 4 times a year I could just lease her one of these and not have to deal with it ... the lease deals on these jeeps are pretty amazing.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #13
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Wait. She already has an A4?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #14
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Wait. She already has an A4?
Yeah, I think I posted it here somewhere, it’s a 2018 ... beautiful car !!
Old 09-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #15
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Coincidentally from my FB feed yesterday.

This picture keeps going through my mind, are these things really prone to rolling ? I’ve got to research this a little more.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Yeah, I think I posted it here somewhere, it’s a 2018 ... beautiful car !!
And she needs a second car...why?
Old 09-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #17
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
And she needs a second car...why?
It’s not that she needs a second car it’s that I want her to have a car at school to drive to the airport, do her errrands, etc. I am very uncomfortable with her having to take an Uber to get around being she is an 18 year old girl and I really don’t like her asking a friend hence a guy for a ride plus the airports are a 1 hour drive which REALLY makes me nervous if she were to take an Uber.

The original plan was to ship her car down to school, then when checking into the costs I realized I could just get her a car for school and it would be pretty close to the same dollars plus reality setting in I also realized that having a New Audi sitting in Florida on campus is not really a great idea ...

This is my whole being a protective Dad thing kicking in ... I’ve just read too many stories about women taking Uber’s and now the driver stalks them being the driver has their contact information and knows where they live, their phone number, etc.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #18
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
It’s not that she needs a second car it’s that I want her to have a car at school to drive to the airport, do her errrands, etc. I am very uncomfortable with her having to take an Uber to get around being she is an 18 year old girl and I really don’t like her asking a friend hence a guy for a ride plus the airports are a 1 hour drive which REALLY makes me nervous if she were to take an Uber.

The original plan was to ship her car down to school, then when checking into the costs I realized I could just get her a car for school and it would be pretty close to the same dollars plus reality setting in I also realized that having a New Audi sitting in Florida on campus is not really a great idea ...

This is my whole being a protective Dad thing kicking in ... I’ve just read too many stories about women taking Uber’s and now the driver stalks them being the driver has their contact information and knows where they live, their phone number, etc.
Does the Amtrak car train from NYC to Florida still exist?

Edit: Runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL, wherever that is. https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #19
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Does the Amtrak car train from NYC to Florida still exist?

Edit: Runs from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL, wherever that is. https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

I did the auto train when I first met my wife and we took my dads new at the time NSX to his house in Florida ... it was the run you suggested above ... Virginia to Florida

Anyway i’m going to call the local dealers tomorrow and see about getting her a nice sedan, from what I read on the internet I’m not really comfortable with the Jeep for highway driving where the speed limit is 70mph.

I did rent a Hyundai Sonata in Florida last year and really liked it.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
John V
No more BMWs

I have a Hyundai sonata rental right now and maybe it's because it's the base stripper version but it is horrible in every way.