carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #21
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
The R8 has always been a fantastic looking car to me. Nice one!

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #22
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Yup, still sounds exactly the same.

My guess is you were just being hamfisted.
I would think overall it is the same when describing it because it is a single auto clutch not a dual so maybe I am wrong but I'd think all single clutches have the same basic concept just like every manual has the same concept but each has a different feel.

I can only tell you from when I remember driving an E46 M3 SMG, it had this crazy BANG into gear that I am not experiencing and the SMG automated clutch engaging and disengaging felt more abrupt and not nearly as smooth. Maybe I'm wrong since I am comparing it to a memory of over 6 to 7 years ago.

Anyway overall IMO this have a more refined feel.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #23
Alan
Carmudgeon

Thanks everyone for the congrats ... I really appreciate it and still can't believe I have that car in my garage ... Call me crazy but I still keep going in there to see it ...
Old 12-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #24
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Thanks everyone for the congrats ... I really appreciate it and still can't believe I have that car in my garage ... Call me crazy but I still keep going in there to see it ...
I think you should pick up Plaz with it and the drive it down to the Team WTF?! Fancy ass wine taste test...whenever we actually have it. Before we drink the wine, we can all test drive it back to back with bren's E46 M3 SMG II and then we can all debate the differences.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #25
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I think you should pick up Plaz with it and the drive it down to the Team WTF?! Fancy ass wine taste test...whenever we actually have it. Before we drink the wine, we can all test drive it back to back with bren's E46 M3 SMG II and then we can all debate the differences.
That's a good plan!

We just have to do it quickly before my sub-frame falls out. Oh, and it has to be above freezing for the m3 to start so I can even drive it to the gathering. On second thought, maybe we should use Terry's car instead.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #26
Alan
Carmudgeon

Sorry Bren I didn't even know you had the Smg ... Shit I'm going by memory of when I drove my friends ... Sometimes when describing something in the car world when comparing pretty much the same technology it is like splitting hairs ...

Big picture yes they are the same ... The differences is so minut that unless you have both in the garage they would probably feel the same.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #27
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Sorry Bren I didn't even know you had the Smg ... Shit I'm going by memory of when I drove my friends ... Sometimes when describing something in the car world when comparing pretty much the same technology it is like splitting hairs ...

Big picture yes they are the same ... The differences is so minut that unless you have both in the garage they would probably feel the same.
If you just jump in and without giving it any thought start banging off gears with your foot planted to the floor it will certainly jerk/bang, etc.. You are after all asking it to change gears in milliseconds.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #28
Alan
Carmudgeon

Lots of car things happening in the AF household !!

The R8 was shipped out this morning ... after 4 years of ownership and having a total of 16,877 miles on it the R8 is now heading to Cali to it's new owner. I got $16k less then I purchased it for 4 year ago. It was truly one of my favorite cars ever !!

Coincidentally a 1/2 hour later I turned the A6 in ... it was a 2 yr lease and the car had 14k miles ...

Another thing .... the A4 was shipped up from Florida to NY and I picked it up yesterday morning, its got a whopping 4,000 miles so I'll drive it until the new car comes in.

Fortunately yesterday the 540i hit the port so hopefully I have it within the next week.

BTW no idea why the picture is crooked, when you click on the pic it straightens out !?!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56606187484__945B3BB3-072B-41CE-846C-2597ED6B0212.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	12115  
Old 12-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #29
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Wow, what a thread bump.

Why did you sell it?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #30
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

Why did you sell it?
Sorry I thought you said when did you sell it and didn’t answer your actual question(deleted previous message) ... I love the R8 but after 4 yrs it was a great car but time for something different.... I want an i8 ...

I’m not in a rush to get one but eventually I will find the right one.

Last edited by Alan; 12-09-2018 at 03:30 PM.