carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Off Topic Forums > Biker's Detour

Old 12-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

New bike purchase advice needed

When is a good time to buy a new bike?

I've got conflicting advice and just wanted to verify with those who have bought from dealers.

TIA.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I think the best deals tend to happen near the end of the season. That's when I typically get the itch and start browsing dealers and they are always deserted.

That said, I bought my 2003 SV in August of 2004 and I got an insane deal, because they had a ton of leftover bikes and the 2004 models were already in the showroom. The one I bought hadn't even been assembled, it had been sitting in its crate for over a year.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Depends on what you want. If last years model is what you're looking for and readily available, then in the spring is good as dealers are trying to move out the old for the new. In general, though, I've seen good deals year round. Know what you want and keep an eye out for a good deal.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
When is a good time to buy a new bike?
When you want or need one.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
When you want or need one.
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Yeah, in this economy? If you are willing to shop around, you can get the dealers to start bidding against each other.

If you are not adverse to used, just start looking through ads until you find the killer deal for the bike you want. There are lots and lots of heloc purchased bikes that are hitting the market.

My friend that I got my license with just bought a two year old bike from a private party for about $6k less than a new one would have cost. It had 400 miles on it. That was rare, but you can find stuff like that if you look hard enough.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
Yeah, in this economy? If you are willing to shop around, you can get the dealers to start bidding against each other.

If you are not adverse to used, just start looking through ads until you find the killer deal for the bike you want. There are lots and lots of heloc purchased bikes that are hitting the market.

My friend that I got my license with just bought a two year old bike from a private party for about $6k less than a new one would have cost. It had 400 miles on it. That was rare, but you can find stuff like that if you look hard enough.
I suppose that's probably true now that gas is cheap again. This past summer, bikes got more expensive. One of my SO's coworker's had a bear of a time finding the bike he wanted at a halfway decent price.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
We started looking in August. The drop in prices started right about then - and has increased as people become more financially conservative. At least that's my impression just from watching what's going on. The drop in gas prices has helped a lot, but even without that, I think there are a lot of Harley's and similar cruiser style bikes that are bought as mid life crisis outlets by people that really aren't all that interested in riding them. Then there's the ever increasing number of lay offs and the resulting fear in a large portion of the rest of the country. The deal my friend got was from a car salesman at a ford dealer . . . I imagine his income has gone down a bit recently.

Oh that reminds me - what's the hot set up for riding gloves? I seem to remember rgal saing her first pair didn't do the job when she got her hand injury and she replaced them with some kind of armor glove, but I can't find the thread.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
I swear by my Held Steve gloves. Really good all year gloves, little warm in the summer and I use a liner in the winter, that give about the best protection your going to find with touring comfort.

from www.newenough.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul
If I had to pick a glove with the best looks and most luxurious feel, these gloves would be the ones. Perfect for the street or touring rider who wants a great deal of protection. The palm is kangaroo hide which provides great feel for the controls, and the back of the hand is a combination of foam padding and high quality Pittards leather. You also get rivets in the palm (designed to allow a fallen rider to slide on his palms rather than having leather “catch” on the road surface and abruptly turning the wrist). Held includes padding and Kevlar cloth behind the rivets to protect the hand as well.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Carmudgeonly Ride: '05 C50, '04 F-150
I'd go for it. Winter is the best though, price wise.

7K out the door for my brand new 05.
dredmo is offline   Reply With Quote