carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Motorcycle case fail - a Manhattan Story

Unseasonably warm temps brought out everybody and their brother the last couple of days. I had a good friend visiting from California, so went out as well. I motored into the city just fine (have a new CTEK 4.3 to properly charge the batteries now and I went through all the bikes). Remembered to soften the suspension for the cratered streets... I thought that might be enough. Well, not quite.

We were on the East Side, and while heading home, at around 10pm, stopped on the corner of 3rd & 49th to put in a nylon windblock layer, temps dropping and some drizzle. One or two blocks later, at Lexington, I hit a mongo pothole (while getting past multitudes of garbage trucks). The bike felt fine but the clang sound wasn't normal. Buzzing past dump trucks, I kept on and then heard the honking. Within a block, at Park Ave, I stopped and noticed my rear top case was no longer on the bike. Parked, hand waved thanked dump truck driver who seemed to be saying something inaudible and walked back to the pothole.

Nothing. In one hot minute, with nearly no one on the street, the case was gone. I walked back and forth twice (the case is $500+$70 pad+keying the lock+contents: extra helmet+a favorite lambswool layer sweater). Almost felt like Manhattan was back to its fine 90's form. A whole 28L case just vanished in moments, on a quiet dark street. I circled back with the bike. No luck.

equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Wow. Reminds me of Peru.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Unseasonably warm temps brought out everybody and their brother the last couple of days. I had a good friend visiting from California, so went out as well. I motored into the city just fine (have a new CTEK 4.3 to properly charge the batteries now and I went through all the bikes). Remembered to soften the suspension for the cratered streets... I thought that might be enough. Well, not quite.

We were on the East Side, and while heading home, at around 10pm, stopped on the corner of 3rd & 49th to put in a nylon windblock layer, temps dropping and some drizzle. One or two blocks later, at Lexington, I hit a mongo pothole (while getting past multitudes of garbage trucks). The bike felt fine but the clang sound wasn't normal. Buzzing past dump trucks, I kept on and then heard the honking. Within a block, at Park Ave, I stopped and noticed my rear top case was no longer on the bike. Parked, hand waved thanked dump truck driver who seemed to be saying something inaudible and walked back to the pothole.

Nothing. In one hot minute, with nearly no one on the street, the case was gone. I walked back and forth twice (the case is $500+$70 pad+keying the lock+contents: extra helmet+a favorite lambswool layer sweater). Almost felt like Manhattan was back to its fine 90's form. A whole 28L case just vanished in moments, on a quiet dark street. I circled back with the bike. No luck.

A friend of mine from NYC had a suitcase stolen from his car while parked on the street. Thinking quickly, he zoomed down to the Village and walked around. Shortly, he found someone peddling his stuff on the sidewalk. He argued with the guy. Can't remember whether he got any of his stuff back. Oh, and this was in the mid-80s, I think.

At any rate, sorry about your gear!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Ugh, sorry man.

NYC street quality is such bs. The argument "well there's a lot of traffic on the streets" is bs too. A lot of traffic means you have a shitload of taxes and toll money you could use to keep them in good shape. And more traffic means you have more incentive to keep them in good condition.

But it's like the subway system. They're falling apart because of fraud and channeling the money to other things. Really pisses me off.

Last edited by rumatt; 02-22-2018 at 04:59 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
That sucks.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Alan
Carmudgeon

The potholes are horrible this year it's like driving on an obstacle course ... just curious how fast were you going when you hit it ... I've actually been following the 25 mph speed limit in the City.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote