carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #131
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
LOL.

It's funny how different environments expose the different facets of car ownership. The Corvette owners I see are predominantly young (25-35 years old), male, and definitely not the Hawaiian shirt crowd.

I think the C8 is going to meaningfully change that demographic. But I'd never let a perceived demographic affect my desire for a car.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #132
Nick M3
Relic

i'll be very curious if my dad looks at one. the big problem is the lack of a place for the puppy.

if he buys one, he gets a star of david gold chain to go wiht his hawaiian shirt.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #133
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
LOL.

It's funny how different environments expose the different facets of car ownership. The Corvette owners I see are predominantly young (25-35 years old), male, and definitely not the Hawaiian shirt crowd.

I think the C8 is going to meaningfully change that demographic. But I'd never let a perceived demographic affect my desire for a car.
Fair enough... If I cared about perceived demographics, whew, I'd be staying pretty far from the german machinery and their impression of luxury.

I don't see any hawaiian shirts around here among Vette drivers. They are generally old and slow with few exceptions. Slower even than porsches. They are probably a bit more patriotic than import drivers.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #134
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Fair enough... If I cared about perceived demographics, whew, I'd be staying pretty far from the german machinery and their impression of luxury.

I don't see any hawaiian shirts around here among Vette drivers. They are generally old and slow with few exceptions. Slower even than porsches. They are probably a bit more patriotic than import drivers.

I can’t wait to see how this car compares dynamically to the Ford GT or McLaren cars.

The stereotype of the Corvette doesn’t bother me at all. You can engage with the enthusiast groups or not. Follow the Corvette Racing Team or not.

GM can make amazing cars that have racing pedigrees. There’s no shame in that.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #135
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

Yep- there's probably a negative stereotype associated with pretty much any enthusiast car except possibly some of the smaller British brands like Lotus. Alfa might get a pass too.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 PM   #136
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yep- there's probably a negative stereotype associated with pretty much any enthusiast car except possibly some of the smaller British brands like Lotus. Alfa might get a pass too.
+1 ... exactly !!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #137
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
What about the new Mazda 3?

I saw one last week -- sedan in dark blue with the tan leather interior. Its a really good looking car, with a very nice looking interior (it drove by us in a parking lot and I looked in after they went in the store...) Perhaps not the performance you want, but it might check other boxes...
Old 07-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #138
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Too slow. I know the engine in that car very well and it's just kind of a dud.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:21 PM   #139
equ
Alphanumeric

I have thought about this a bit, and with wdc, af and others, I'd say give a used 240i in the right spec a whirl.. The engine is so responsive and efficient, the manual is satisfying and you can fix the suspension if you see fit. The larger engined non-M's make better dailies than M's. Will it be trouble-free after 80k? Probably not, but it will be pretty good until then, and you can fix stuff anyway... The existence of the M2 should not rule out that car. It hits many of the earlier criteria you listed, efficiency, practicality (there is always the 340i), peppy enough.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #140
equ
Alphanumeric

Here is a b58 teardown that is interesting. Not all positive or negative; it's just too soon to say what the long term will be of this very modular engine. It has some of the best throttle response of any recent bmw I've driven: