carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Storing wheels/tires in my garage ... I need a good storage solution

Hey guys ... I need a little help ...I am looking for a wheel/tire rack where I am stack my wheels on them in my garage ... So far I only found this rack which looks good but I want to checkout other options and I can't find any.

Does anyone here know of any other racks ? How do you store your spare set ...

I don't think I want to mount them on a wall because then I have to lift them over my head which being at the upper end of my 40's seems like something I really don't want to have to do.

Here is the Link to the only rack I've found so far

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-...FccXHwodpPIOYQ

Thanks for your help
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I've seen some setups with pulley lift systems that seem to work really well. They use the mechanical advantage of the pulley to lift easily and store them up high.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I've seen some setups with pulley lift systems that seem to work really well. They use the mechanical advantage of the pulley to lift easily and store them up high.
We have bike racks like that. I could see a similar system working well for wheels/tires.

Only downside is that the pulleys don't deal with heat well -- I've had a couple rot out after a few years. Solution is to go to Home Depot and buy a new metal pulley (with a pin holding the axel in) drill out the rivet holding the broken plastic pulley wheel in, pop the new pulley out of its housing and and Put in the housing for the rack. Works like new!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I have one set on a furniture dolly thing from harbor freight that cost like $10 with a coupon.

Three other sets are just sitting on the floor, and two more are up on a rack I built on the wall.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
clyde
Chief title editor

Just contractor drum sized plastic garbage bags. Well, just for some of them. The others are loose, because lazy.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:59 PM   #6
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Hey guys ... I need a little help ...I am looking for a wheel/tire rack where I am stack my wheels on them in my garage ... So far I only found this rack which looks good but I want to checkout other options and I can't find any.
I'm not sure I see the point. You still have to pick the tires up to stack them, and you can roll them over to where you're going to store them, so what's the point of the wheels on the Summit stand?

When I had a smaller number of tires (alternate-season set of 5 for the BMW) I put them in Tire Totes with wheel felts between them, and then put a cover over all of them. I got the set of totes/felts/cover somewhere, I forget where.

Quote:
Does anyone here know of any other racks ? How do you store your spare set ...

I don't think I want to mount them on a wall because then I have to lift them over my head which being at the upper end of my 40's seems like something I really don't want to have to do.
You young-uns.

When I got the Atom, floor space in the garage became a premium. I got an Onrax overhead rack which held both a spare set of mounted Atom tires and my alternate-season set of mounted BMW tires. I wound up changing the vertical angle pieces as my roof is on an angle and I wanted the shelf to be level. But it is inexpensive commodity angle with punched holes - the "big thing" about the Onrax was its frame and grid deck (which they seem to have changed).

Onrax has a motorized version, but it is very expensive ($1000 more than the fixed-position one of the same size).
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I really wish I had a garage! I have a couple sets stacked in my basement, but it is a huge pain to lug them up and down so often during autocross season. I built a closet thing under the staircase that fit 16" and under rims/tires perfectly, but they do not fit my 17" rims/tires. I didn't think that one through and left no room to easily widen/expand it.

I've looked at the Tire Rack rolling tire rack, but it's $300. When/if I ever have a garage, I'd probably build a shelving system in addition to getting the Tire Rack rolling tire rack.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
I just stack them with those cardboard circles that TireRack ships rims with in between them. I don't see why they need any extra protection in my garage... they're wheels, not Faberge eggs. They're exposed to far worse when they're actually being used. If they're lucky, they get swapped/stacked shortly after I've gotten a car wash so there's minimal brake dust sitting on them all summer/winter. That timing doesn't always work out either though.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I really wish I had a garage! I have a couple sets stacked in my basement, but it is a huge pain to lug them up and down so often during autocross season. I built a closet thing under the staircase that fit 16" and under rims/tires perfectly, but they do not fit my 17" rims/tires. I didn't think that one through and left no room to easily widen/expand it.

I've looked at the Tire Rack rolling tire rack, but it's $300. When/if I ever have a garage, I'd probably build a shelving system in addition to getting the Tire Rack rolling tire rack.
Our last house didn't have a garage and the storage area was in the basement. it was easier to drag things up and down the hill in a cart outside the house. That's what I did for a while, but soon after starting to campaign the RX-8, I found it was easier to just leave everything in the car all season. R comps in the back seats and the trunk filled with jack, jackstands, tools, etc.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #10
Alan
Carmudgeon

I think I might go for the dolly ... Seems like a good idea and for $20 or under you can't beat the price.

Terry the reason I want to put them on something with wheels is I like to keep things off the ground, I keep my garage really clean and having the wheels on the floor gets dirt around them. I like the idea of rolling them out of the way to sweep up and stuff.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote