carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
TD
Founder emeritus

Is there an aftermarket LSD for the E46?

Did anyone ever determine if there was an aftermarket LSD for the E46?

Not that I plan on buying one, but the question popped into my head on the way in to work (driving behind an E46) and I could not recall an answer being posted.

And, who knows, I might be interested in a used perf package 330i in a few years.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
Nick M3
Relic

Renn-sport markets one, but I don't know of anyone with it installed.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
there must be a quaife application by now.

i bet it's about $1200?

i wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the e46m3 LSD into any other e46.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
lemming
Western Anomaly

oh boy.....you're going to love this.

so, since will turner races e46s, i looked there?

he sells an e46 LSD for $4500.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...n#Differential

:-)

that's a lot, man.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
oh boy.....you're going to love this.

so, since will turner races e46s, i looked there?

he sells an e46 LSD for $4500.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...n#Differential

:-)

that's a lot, man.
Ooof!
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:14 AM   #6
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Vaporware.

I have to say, I'm quite unhappy with the limited encounters I've had with Sam and rennsport. Everyone seems to rave about them, but it seems like an incredibly unprofessional operation to me.

Sam's incredibly nice and talkative when you get him on the phone, but he's made promises and estimates to me he's been unable to keep, and for every phone call I've had returned, I've had four or five unreturned.

No way to run a business, IMO. I'm giving him one more shot at being responsive, but after that I'm giving up.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:17 AM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Vaporware.

I have to say, I'm quite unhappy with the limited encounters I've had with Sam and rennsport. Everyone seems to rave about them, but it seems like an incredibly unprofessional operation to me.

Sam's incredibly nice and talkative when you get him on the phone, but he's made promises and estimates to me he's been unable to keep, and for every phone call I've had returned, I've had four or five unreturned.

No way to run a business, IMO. I'm giving him one more shot at being responsive, but after that I'm giving up.
which is also the reason why i, although i find him so not palatable, like Jim Conforti and i really like Will Turner. their stuff is race proven and that matters a lot to me. you can trust their R&D because it's out there on the track on speed world challenge racing.

none of this: we imported this stuff from germany and a friend of a friend said it's neat but we never tested it ourselves but we'll import it and sell it to you stuff.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:46 AM   #8
Mr Paddle.Shift
Track Addict.

Plaz,

Sorry to hear that things didn't work well between you and Sam. Yes, I am one of those who rave about Renn-sport. Yes, I agree Samir/Sam can be busy and not return emails at times. But I have no doubts about buying mods and having them work on my car.

From a more personal point of view, Renn-sport is undergoing a lot of changes lately and the upcoming weeks. They are run by 2 persons, with Zolti as the tech. Visit them anytime of the day, you will see Sam answering calls and replying emails, while Zolti works on the car. So essentially, you have one person doing all the administrative work. They have waited for a long time to take over the shop from Italmotor (owned by Fillippo who restores exotic Italian makes). Now that the shop is finally transferred, they are undergoing some facelift for the shop front and a dynojet install.

So how competent is Renn-sport?

Long time ago, my alternator froze (as in stuck), this set me back on a Saturday trip to Raffi's place. Stranded somewhere near 405 and 101, I called Raffi, Samir and whoever I know then. Cell went dead. Samir left 3 long messages. He called Zolti and asked him to go to the shop immediately. While I waited for the tow car, they were waiting at the shop. Once I arrived, they set everything on the lift and started diagnosing. Samir took care of the tip for the tow guy, offered to lend me his brand new Z4 3.0 to go about with my day's appts. I declined since I am a moron with stick shift. He drove me half way across the town to get a loaner, and paid for it for the next 5 days.

I got my car back, tracked it at California Speedway, Buttwillow and Laguna Seca flawlessly.

I hope this give you a little more confidence about Renn-sport. I strongly suggest dropping by Renn-sport and talk to Zolti and Sam.

Quote:
Vaporware.

Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Plaz,

Sorry to hear that things didn't work well between you and Sam. Yes, I am one of those who rave about Renn-sport. Yes, I agree Samir/Sam can be busy and not return emails at times. But I have no doubts about buying mods and having them work on my car.

From a more personal point of view, Renn-sport is undergoing a lot of changes lately and the upcoming weeks. They are run by 2 persons, with Zolti as the tech. Visit them anytime of the day, you will see Sam answering calls and replying emails, while Zolti works on the car. So essentially, you have one person doing all the administrative work. They have waited for a long time to take over the shop from Italmotor (owned by Fillippo who restores exotic Italian makes). Now that the shop is finally transferred, they are undergoing some facelift for the shop front and a dynojet install.

So how competent is Renn-sport?

Long time ago, my alternator froze (as in stuck), this set me back on a Saturday trip to Raffi's place. Stranded somewhere near 405 and 101, I called Raffi, Samir and whoever I know then. Cell went dead. Samir left 3 long messages. He called Zolti and asked him to go to the shop immediately. While I waited for the tow car, they were waiting at the shop. Once I arrived, they set everything on the lift and started diagnosing. Samir took care of the tip for the tow guy, offered to lend me his brand new Z4 3.0 to go about with my day's appts. I declined since I am a moron with stick shift. He drove me half way across the town to get a loaner, and paid for it for the next 5 days.

I got my car back, tracked it at California Speedway, Buttwillow and Laguna Seca flawlessly.

I hope this give you a little more confidence about Renn-sport. I strongly suggest dropping by Renn-sport and talk to Zolti and Sam.

Quote:
Vaporware.

Thanks for the anecdote.

I have no reason to doubt the competence of their work, and your story is certainly a testament to good customer service. It's just been difficult for me to get anywhere near the point of even evaluating their work, since it's so hard to even establish communication with them.

I'd stop in in person, but I have a regular day job, so arrangements for the work I want them to do have to be made over the phone. When they don't return repeated consecutive phone calls, that's very difficult... and not confidence-inspiring.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:54 AM   #10
ayn
gone riding...

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2024 Tesla Model Y LR
I remember there was a GB either at E46 and/or Renntech for an e46 LSD, but it was mad expensive.

Both the 330 and the MCS badly need LSDs!!

--Andrew