carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 03-21-2022, 01:24 PM   #431
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm shopping around for 6-speed cars again. Bombing around yesterday in the gray car, I'm reminded what a phenomenal chassis is baked into these cars. Even with the auto, even with the soft stock suspension and wimpy 16" wheels and tires, it's just perfectly balanced. Lots of body roll to be sure but the balance is lovely.

I drove the turbo 2.5 car while running errands on Friday and while the brutal power is addictive, it's way too stiff and loud to be a good street car. And darty with the 315mm tires.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #432
John V
No more BMWs

Gray car sold for $3500. I don't hate that. I probably should have asked for more, but I feel okay not trying to eke out every last dollar.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:29 PM   #433
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Congrats! What’s next?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #434
John V
No more BMWs

Well, I still want an engine-swapped RX-8 as a daily driver. Driving this automatic car only reinforced to me what a good car they are. Very solid structure, compliant suspension that also handles well (i.e. what BMW used to be), good visibility and a playful personality.

I found a nice white 6-speed non-sunroof car (almost a twin to my race car, but it has the factory ground effects kit, which I kinda hate) in NJ that I might go look at this weekend. And by look at, I mean bring 5 grand in cash and my trailer . The best part about this one is it's a non-smoking car. The gray one had been smoked in at least once. Very faint smell, but even just a hint of that smell is enough to make me feel gross driving it.

The plan would be to do an engine swap on it. Easy button is of course another Duratec 2.5 swap, was thinking maybe a high-revving NA motor might be fun this go-around. I've also thought an S54 swap might be fun, though those engines are so heavy I think it would very negatively affect the dynamics. Honda K-series swaps are also getting to be popular, but I don't really know those engines very well so there'd be a learning curve.

John
Old 03-25-2022, 11:25 AM   #435
JST

From an engine architecture standpoint, what advantages does the K series give over the Duratec? Higher revving? But is the basic design better?

You should do something really off the wall, like a Volvo 4.4 V8.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #436
John V
No more BMWs

I'm less interested in doing something "cool" and more interested in doing something usable.

The K-series is better supported in the performance aftermarket than the Duratec. It is a shorter-stroke engine and has a cylinder head designed for big airflow, so it makes great NA power out of the box. The Duratec requires quite a bit of work to get to 230-ish wheel horsepower, but then again it's work I'm very familiar with. The K is also just a better-looking and better-sounding engine. Not big factors for me, but it's something. The Duratec is quite a bit cheaper. Pluses and minuses to both. I also like that with the Duratec, I know exactly what I would need to do if I eventually turbocharge it.

A popular swap now is the LFX out of the newest Camaros. But it's a V6, and I really don't like how they sound.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:12 PM   #437
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm less interested in doing something "cool" and more interested in doing something usable.

The K-series is better supported in the performance aftermarket than the Duratec. It is a shorter-stroke engine and has a cylinder head designed for big airflow, so it makes great NA power out of the box. The Duratec requires quite a bit of work to get to 230-ish wheel horsepower, but then again it's work I'm very familiar with. The K is also just a better-looking and better-sounding engine. Not big factors for me, but it's something. The Duratec is quite a bit cheaper. Pluses and minuses to both. I also like that with the Duratec, I know exactly what I would need to do if I eventually turbocharge it.

A popular swap now is the LFX out of the newest Camaros. But it's a V6, and I really don't like how they sound.
I think the LFX sounds decent enough. Better than a K-series for sure. But I'm not the one driving it and don;'t live close enough to you hear it comeing going every day.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:31 AM   #438
Alan
Carmudgeon

I’ve been thinking about what you want to do and really have to say that is pretty amazing you have the ability to do this type of thing, the biggest downside today(being these are not new anymore) with the RX8 is the engine, as a reminder I had one when new and then inherited one years ago, The problem with the inherited one was the engine, you just knew it was a ticking time bomb and not only that, to mod the damn thing was so limited.

I would love an RX8 with a decent engine, that is just so cool, looking forward to what you end up with.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:30 AM   #439
John V
No more BMWs

After getting the gray one running properly with new plugs and coil packs, I was reminded what a joy a properly-running Renesis can be. Even with the auto, it was quite fun to blast around in. They are pretty easy to keep running, but unfortunately the fuel economy is so abysmal that they're just not practical as a day-to-day car

Maybe it is worth considering a V6 swap. I don't know. I need to contemplate.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:45 AM   #440
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

I found a nice white 6-speed non-sunroof car (almost a twin to my race car, but it has the factory ground effects kit, which I kinda hate) in NJ that I might go look at this weekend. And by look at, I mean bring 5 grand in cash and my trailer . The best part about this one is it's a non-smoking car. The gray one had been smoked in at least once. Very faint smell, but even just a hint of that smell is enough to make me feel gross driving it.

John
So do you have a nice white one in your driveway and 5 grand less cash in your pocket?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote