Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Awesome!
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:04 PM   #412
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I need to make the connection from the anti-lag valve to the boost pipe, but other than that it's done. Definitely the most ambitious project yet on this car, and I'm happy with how it turned out. The manifold was tricky to weld because it had been exposed to oil, coolant, and other contaminants, but the welds seem to have penetrated well. I've kind of fallen in love with TIG welding.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 02:47 PM   #413
clyde
Chief title editor

Looks pretty cool. Test driven yet?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:01 PM   #414
John V
No more BMWs

Waiting on a couple of aluminum bends for the boost side so no, not yet
Old 02-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #415
John V
No more BMWs

I've been working the car a bunch. I built an exhaust extension to add a muffler and move the tailpipe from a simple dump under the car to an exit at the rear bumper. Dumping the exhaust out the bottom of the car seems like a really bad idea when it will likely be shooting out some fire when the anti-lag is active.

My TIG skills are getting better, gradually. Throughout my winter projects I've spent about 20 hours welding, which seems crazy.

I did some street tuning on the car yesterday and the exhaust noise is almost nonexistent now. Not that I could really hear it over the gearbox.

I have not enabled the anti-lag yet. I probably should but I'm not sure how to tune it on the street - it really wants to be set up on a load-bearing dyno where you can stare at the laptop and see how turbo speed reacts to changes in fueling and airflow on throttle lifts. I can certainly go out on the road and get some logs, come back and make changes, etc, but it's tedious.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #416
John V
No more BMWs

As a reminder of what the RX-8 should NOT have been... I bought a $900 non-running automatic RX-8 more than a month ago. It's just been sitting on my trailer since then. Marisa is out of town so I spent an hour fiddling with it. I think this might turn into a daily driver for me once I swap the drivetrain, or I might sell it to a friend to build into an endurance race car, who knows. Either way I wanted to get it running so I could drive it up to the shop vs. backing the trailer up there. The previous owner sold it because it wouldn't start and a mechanic said it needed an engine. I probably overpaid by a couple hundred, but it was clear the guy I bought it from needed that couple hundred more than I did so I bought it. It's actually in really nice shape, no rust, etc.

It was super-duper flooded and had two spark plugs that were broken (!). After replacing the plugs and de-flooding it, it fired up and actually runs okay.

It's a bit of a rare bird, it has a 6-port engine and an automatic. Most of the autos were the early cars with the shit 4-port engine. Being a 6-port means I can actually sell this engine for parts. The engine and catalytic converter alone are worth about $3k.

So... what to do? I have a 2.5L to swap in, and I now have "off-the-shelf" engine mounts of my own design so I could swap this in a weekend... though I don't have a gearbox that will work with the 2.5 at the moment. I think a high-revving 2.5L with a BMW E46 6-speed would make a nice daily driver. Maybe eventually turbocharge it? What say ye?
Old 03-09-2022, 12:14 PM   #417
clyde
Chief title editor

"Automatic, bad."

No "Rotary, bad"?

Which is worse?

It also sounds more interesting with a cat sitting next to the speaker purring up a storm.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-09-2022, 01:11 PM   #418
John V
No more BMWs

Automatic is worse than Renesis. The combination of the two is truly sad, though. This thing is positively gutless from a stop. It's fairly sprightly around 4,500 RPM, but I think the CX-5 (which I'm driving this week) is most certainly faster.

I was thinking I'd immediately tear the drivetrain out of it, but now I'm kind of tempted to get it inspected and slap plates on it, just so that process is done and I don't get questions about the drivetrain swap if I wait until that's complete to get it inspected.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #419
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Automatic is worse than Renesis. The combination of the two is truly sad, though. This thing is positively gutless from a stop. It's fairly sprightly around 4,500 RPM, but I think the CX-5 (which I'm driving this week) is most certainly faster.
That's...depressing, but not surprising.
Quote:
I was thinking I'd immediately tear the drivetrain out of it, but now I'm kind of tempted to get it inspected and slap plates on it, just so that process is done and I don't get questions about the drivetrain swap if I wait until that's complete to get it inspected.
I think that's the right path.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-09-2022, 03:48 PM   #420
JST

I think it would be pretty cool to build up the street version of the race car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote