carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 07-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
What NJ does to tires

Pulled a leaking tire from C's alltrack to hopefully plug it. Let's say those hopes were dashed. WTF?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210702_102126.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	13526  
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
wow
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Pulled a leaking tire from C's alltrack to hopefully plug it. Let's say those hopes were dashed. WTF?
LOL what the fuck?

Must have been a strip of nails for a nail gun?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
LOL what the fuck?

Must have been a strip of nails for a nail gun?

FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
No idea.. She suspects it happened near Rutgers. She thinks she heard a noise and some clicking on a highway. However, it was on a rear, wouldn't the front get it first? Also they look to be off a crate or pallet and she doesn't remember hitting anything like that. Perhaps some evil person put it behind her car and she backed over getting out of her parking spot? Anyway, big patch applied at a crappy shop and I'll monitor pressure through July 4th to see if we need to order a tire. Bummer as they are around 70-80% and we do not want to stay with these crappy OEM choices.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Easily could have been a strip of nail gun nails that were lying flat on the road -- so didn't go into the front tire, but instead were kicked up and punctured the rear.

I've had a couple unusual tire punctures from things on the road -- all 3 were on the driver's side rear, and all 3 required replacing the tire:
- In the Boxster, the rear tire had a paint scraper blade get embedded in tire, near the edge. Was easily a 2.5 inch tear. I remember hearing something when I was on the freeway on the way to work one morning -- but didn't realize I had a puncture until I got to the office and heard the hiss when I got out of the car. I actually drove on it for 2 days while waiting for the replacement tire to come in (neither CostCo or Discount Tire had one in stock) -- just put air in the tire before each drive -- the leak was slow enough that it would only lose a couple psi over a 30 min drive...

- In the Model S, an AA battery punctured the rear tire. Don't remember when it happened, but I noticed a very slow leak. Think it was in the car for a week or so before I noticed the slow leak...

- Also in the Model S, I somehow got a cactus thorn in the sidewall (talk about Arizona problems...). Not sure how, but it also caused a slow leak that required the tire to be replaced.