carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I think BMW wants it both ways--to still be perceived as the hardcore driver's car and to cash in on luxury car sales. So they make these schizophrenic cars--typically a base model of XYZ type that you can layer performance (and more luxury) onto. But because they are not really purpose-built for performance, there are always too many compromises. And the longevity/build quality falls short.

All of these recent adaptive technologies are meant to create cars that can adjust to multiple driver preferences and therefore please a wider audience. Jack of all trades, master of none indeed.

But are there any cars out there that don't sacrifice something to achieve something else?

My little 2 series could be tighter with less body roll, the steering could have more feedback, it could be a bit more luxurious, as well. Still, it pleases me every time I drive it, and try to forget all the ways it could be incrementally better. That's easier, of course, on warm, sunny days when I can put the top down.

It remains to be seen what the quality will be like going forward. It's about 2 months shy of a year old with--knock on something--no problems. With my BMWs the start usually foretells the future.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #22
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
To the comments on the driver adjustable ride modes. I would skip that option wherever possible if i was not leasing or buying new not planning to keep out of warranty. On the used car market it’s just to much complexity leading to huge repair bills.

Looking at old used top dollar AMG’s. They sell for stupid low prices used as no one wants to get stuck with those out of warranty repair bills.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #23
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I think BMW wants it both ways--to still be perceived as the hardcore driver's car and to cash in on luxury car sales.
Well, they used to do that pretty well. A base E46 323i was a quiet, comfortable car that was relatively capable on the performance front without shouting about it. If you wanted to tip the balance towards the performance side you could get a 330i. If you wanted to tip it further you could get an M3. But they all had the same underlying competence. The average BMW driver probably didn't care about the nice brake feel or reasonable steering feel or the nice body control / ride balance. But it was there.

The thing that happened with the F30 is the subtle aspects of performance went away. The throttle response, brakes and steering got weird and soggy. The ride was Lexus-like in its sponginess. But they also don't have the jewel-like build quality and reliability that Lexus is known for. They're not silent going down the road like a Lexus.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #24
robg
Carmudgeon

The weird steering behavior you guys mentioned sounds pretty bad. It gets confusing since there are now so many different permutations of suspensions, tires, drivetrains and steering systems that all could affect steering behavior. I've noticed that some reviews will say that they've finally fixed the f30s suspension and steering while others still complain.Oddly, it seems like cars equipped with adaptive suspension tend to get more favorable reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #25
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The weird steering behavior you guys mentioned sounds pretty bad. It gets confusing since there are now so many different permutations of suspensions, tires, drivetrains and steering systems that all could affect steering behavior. I've noticed that some reviews will say that they've finally fixed the f30s suspension and steering while others still complain.Oddly, it seems like cars equipped with adaptive suspension tend to get more favorable reviews.

Is that a lane keeping/warning feature that can be turned off? The Golf has something like that, that is supposed to "nudge" you back in lane if you stray. It's horrifying and terrible and scared the shit out of me until I figured out how to shut it off.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #26
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Is that a lane keeping/warning feature that can be turned off? The Golf has something like that, that is supposed to "nudge" you back in lane if you stray. It's horrifying and terrible and scared the shit out of me until I figured out how to shut it off.

Good point - could be that
Old 12-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #27
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:

Agreed! And don't have it on my 2.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #28
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Yeah I think that was the problem with the new MDX we test drove. Hated it, felt like I was fighting with it.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #29
robg
Carmudgeon

Easy enough to turn off though ...

Old 12-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #30
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Easy enough to turn off though ...

yeah but then something extra to go wrong(plus you get to pay for it).
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote