carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #11
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Posts: 8,586
The thing is that - if/when - you get tired of it, a BMW converted to manual will allow some recouping of investment. A Benz with a BMW transmission? Maybe, but a bit more chancy.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The thing is that - if/when - you get tired of it, a BMW converted to manual will allow some recouping of investment. A Benz with a BMW transmission? Maybe, but a bit more chancy.
Going to disagree a little bit here. For the most part, manual BMWs are a thing that exists. So a converted car's value is held down by the fact that almost every car that people want in manual is already available from the factory that way. Like, in terms of older BMWs, about the only one that I can think of that people really cared about and wasn't sold here with a manual is the E38.

A manual benz? Very much a unicorn. Are you going to get back all of that conversion cost? Probably not. But remember that FC's user name used to be "mbr129." This is a car he wants. Bad. And you know what? I love the R129. It's so perfect for what it was designed to be. Just get one from the right year range before they value engineered the price down like $50k, and after they got rid of the biodegradable chassis harness.

Edit: Also, "600SL" reads so much better than "SL600." I understand why they did that, but it was a mistake.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #13
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 21,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Going to disagree a little bit here. For the most part, manual BMWs are a thing that exists. So a converted car's value is held down by the fact that almost every car that people want in manual is already available from the factory that way. Like, in terms of older BMWs, about the only one that I can think of that people really cared about and wasn't sold here with a manual is the E38.

A manual benz? Very much a unicorn. Are you going to get back all of that conversion cost? Probably not. But remember that FC's user name used to be "mbr129." This is a car he wants. Bad. And you know what? I love the R129. It's so perfect for what it was designed to be. Just get one from the right year range before they value engineered the price down like $50k, and after they got rid of the biodegradable chassis harness.

Edit: Also, "600SL" reads so much better than "SL600." I understand why they did that, but it was a mistake.
Yeah, I gotta agree. A 600SL with a manual and that exhaust would find a home without much of a problem.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #14
ZBB
Relic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Posts: 11,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post

Edit: Also, "600SL" reads so much better than "SL600." I understand why they did that, but it was a mistake.
I really wish MB would go back to the old naming scheme. Numbers followed by letters just looks better.

And its not like people thought a 300SL, 500SL and 600SL were 3 different body styles. They may not haven known that the numbers were approx engine displacement, but it did read as 3 trim levels of the same car.
__________________
ZBB
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #15
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Posts: 8,586
I get that it will be unique, but it will be a mongrel. Secondly, the Benz market was never into manuals much. So yeah, I think it's risky. If you think it's a great idea, find a similar project to invest in...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #16
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 21,747
hmmm

https://mbworld.org/forums/market/773609
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 21,289
Yeah that looks like a nice one for this purpose.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #18
Alan
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,008
Engine and exhaust sound are very hard to capture in a video ... I bet that car sounds a lot better in person ..

Those big S class cars are not fun driver's, yes they are very fast (at lest for theme they were built) but they are boats. I think you are better off finding a C class with the big engine ... those have got to be fun !!

I remember back in the day driving my dad's 500 SEC's, both were very fast coupes but they weren't drivers cars ... his CLK550 was a bit better but still not quite a drivers car, maybe due to the heavy feel in the front due to the heavy engine ... actually thinking about it his CLK 350 was more fun ...

There are a lot of cool smaller Mercedes models for really reasonable prices out there you could have fun with.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #19
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Engine and exhaust sound are very hard to capture in a video ... I bet that car sounds a lot better in person ..

Those big S class cars are not fun driver's, yes they are very fast (at lest for theme they were built) but they are boats. I think you are better off finding a C class with the big engine ... those have got to be fun !!

I remember back in the day driving my dad's 500 SEC's, both were very fast coupes but they weren't drivers cars ... his CLK550 was a bit better but still not quite a drivers car, maybe due to the heavy feel in the front due to the heavy engine ... actually thinking about it his CLK 350 was more fun ...

There are a lot of cool smaller Mercedes models for really reasonable prices out there you could have fun with.
He's talking about doing that to an SL. Which, granted, still not a sports car, but a lot more interesting to drive than the S class.

Edit: Fun fact! I took my driver's test in a W140.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #20
Alan
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
He's talking about doing that to an SL. Which, granted, still not a sports car, but a lot more interesting to drive than the S class.

Edit: Fun fact! I took my driver's test in a W140.
Not a fan of the SL either, Iíve driven quite a bit of them going back to the 80ís ... maybe a bit better than the s class coupes but still not a drivers car.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a crazy idea? TD Car Talk 48 02-01-2010 04:38 PM
Project car idea scrapped... new buy instead Autarch Car Talk 15 10-18-2004 01:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC