carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
wdc330i
dogged
 
wdc330i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '17 M240i
Posts: 8,166
1998 M Roadster near me

Quite low mileage:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...lickType=alpha
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #2
Alan
What ev's
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,009
Am I wrong or is that as really good price for that car ... that thing must be a lot of fun to drive.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Am I wrong or is that as really good price for that car ... that thing must be a lot of fun to drive.
Roadsters are cheaper than coupes, and S52s are WAY cheaper than S54s.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
Theo
Crazy Old Man
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '03 E39 M5
Location: Marin Ca
Posts: 4,812
That is still a good price for the miles. Super fun little car. I just hear they fall apart right and left from the crappy build quality.
__________________
Searching
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Location: NY
Posts: 17,475
Clown shoe.

Next.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '03 325xiT, '11 135i C, '13 X5 n55
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 3,697
Hmmmm.... maybe my Dad didn't give me as good a deal as I thought. It does seem like that one is well priced.

We paid $8k for the one we got a couple weeks ago, 47k miles. So far, Cari really enjoys it.
__________________
Josh (PA) -
'11 135i convertible
'13 X5 n55
'03 325 wagon
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Posts: 8,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Clown shoe.

Next.
With you, but... I'm not sure when this happened but there are all sorts of folk out there that regard this parts bin half-assed design as the ultimate in bmw collector-dom.

I guess they bring a fresh perspective if they haven't owned bmws for the last two decades like we have?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
With you, but... I'm not sure when this happened but there are all sorts of folk out there that regard this parts bin half-assed design as the ultimate in bmw collector-dom.

I guess they bring a fresh perspective if they haven't owned bmws for the last two decades like we have?
If you’re going to shit on the MZ3 for that, you must hate the 1M, which is even more of a half-assed parts bin car.

People like the MZ3, especially the S54, because it’s a really fun car to be in. It’s communicative. Also, unlike the 1M, it was fast in its day. (The 1M is a great driver’s car, but the objective performance wasn’t very good.)
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric
 
equ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Posts: 8,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
If youíre going to shit on the MZ3 for that, you must hate the 1M, which is even more of a half-assed parts bin car.

People like the MZ3, especially the S54, because itís a really fun car to be in. Itís communicative. Also, unlike the 1M, it was fast in its day. (The 1M is a great driverís car, but the objective performance wasnít very good.)
I'm more talking about the design not the machinery underneath (though e30-based rear suspension in the late 90's and early 00's? Sad!).

While I said "parts bin", that's not necessarily derogatory if they wrapped those parts in a body designed by a proper shop, as the 1M was. And, now that we are comparing tastes, I happen to like the e82.

The z3 coupe in comparison seems to have been designed by an unhappy child told to put a roof on the z3 roadster (which itself was quite acceptable).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #10
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'm more talking about the design not the machinery underneath (though e30-based rear suspension in the late 90's and early 00's? Sad!).

While I said "parts bin", that's not necessarily derogatory if they wrapped those parts in a body designed by a proper shop, as the 1M was. And, now that we are comparing tastes, I happen to like the e82.

The z3 coupe in comparison seems to have been designed by an unhappy child told to put a roof on the z3 roadster (which itself was quite acceptable).
Honestly, I think that the Z3 coupe looks less terrible than the 1 series. (They are both ugly.)

I also regard the E30 rear suspension as a net-positive. It’s part of what makes them so interesting to drive. And given that on 1998 tires, and with the S50B32 (which is meaningfully slower than the S54, as much as I like it), the Z3M was only 8 seconds slower around the Nurburgring, you could make a plausible argument that the 1M actually handles *worse* with its parts bin E9x M3 suspension.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC