carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-05-2023, 12:47 PM   #11
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’d also say don’t underestimate the value of your kid using a car; it’s really nice to not have to drive them around. But that would suggest that it’s not insane for Mrs FC to have something to use to free up a car for the kid.
Very true.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:12 PM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’d also say don’t underestimate the value of your kid using a car; it’s really nice to not have to drive them around. But that would suggest that it’s not insane for Mrs FC to have something to use to free up a car for the kid.
No doubt. And our oldest does club soccer and we look forward to him driving himself to practices this spring.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:13 PM   #13
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Nothing in the mix for Mrs. FC to covet/love. Lots for you. This needs correction asap.
I am curious to what the kids think …. I don’t know their ages but if they are driving soon I don’t think they are going to want to drive Mommy’s SUV.

I would think given the history of the parents who are car enthusiasts they might have some ideas of their own what they want for their first car.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:20 PM   #14
JST

Kids preferences are hard to predict (and there are valid reasons for saying it shouldn’t matter, though that’s a debate for another day). My kid would probably really dig driving a Land Rover right up until she had to put gas in it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:27 PM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
I wouldn’t wait for an EV anything.

If you want a preview, rent a Tesla or an Escalade. They weigh about the same. Handle about the same. An EV sports car future looks stupid to me. No thanks.

Get a fun ICE manual now while there’s options.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:50 PM   #16
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

If you want a preview, rent a Tesla or an Escalade. They weigh about the same. Handle about the same. An EV sports car future looks stupid to me. No thanks.

That's my perspective and I'd be very concerned about the weight and lack of sound killing what makes a Mini special. I casually brought up the car today and almost expected her to say "oh, never mind. It was a crazy idea." But nope, she said she really did like it. She is busy working today (crazy year for her) but we'll need to chat more if this is real and she really wants it.

Now I have to think about logistics for where to park cars if the fleet expands to 5.

I'll need to start making room in the back garage because in bad winter weather (especially this winter when there are only two drivers) it would only make sense for both convertibles to be back there.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:08 PM   #17
Alan
Carmudgeon

[quote=JST;600651, though that’s a debate for another day). [/QUOTE]

Yeah, last time that one didn’t go very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

Off topic but kind of not with the above quote I just drove a MB EQS580 EV … the thing was crazy fast and I give Mercedes credit for giving the headrest what feels like a fluffy pillow so when your head flies back you don’t hit a hard headrest but I drove my M550 after and really loved the sound of an ICE car and it felt fast as well. I think it sucks the 8 cylinder engines are going away let alone so will the ICE cars. Can’t we just have both !!

Btw also had a Genesis G70 rental while away recently with my wife in Florida and that was a pretty awesome car … I really enjoyed it.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 02:17 PM   #18
robg
Carmudgeon

I get very excited as well when my wife actually shows interest in getting a particular car. She's usually just "whatever..i dont care". Last time she really pushed me to get a car was our current RRS...which we've had for 4 years now and both love.

And yeah, considering you'll have 2 nice cars for youself if you buy the M5, you dont really have a leg to stand on to turn her down. So I say throw caution to the wind and get it! After a few months you might find that you're not using a particular car in the fleet anymore and can get rid of it as well. My prediction would be the GTI, but who knows.

BTW, my wife is interested in (but not head over heels) the Mini EV. We test drove one last weekend and she liked it when in sport mode. (She compained about the steering feeling too loose and vague on-center in the normal modes- a trait the Mini seems to share with its BMW brethren unfortunately). So I may be joining you in Mini ownership at some point!
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 02:42 PM   #19
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I get very excited as well when my wife actually shows interest in getting a particular car. She's usually just "whatever..i dont care". Last time she really pushed me to get a car was our current RRS...which we've had for 4 years now and both love.

And yeah, considering you'll have 2 nice cars for youself if you buy the M5, you dont really have a leg to stand on to turn her down. So I say throw caution to the wind and get it! After a few months you might find that you're not using a particular car in the fleet anymore and can get rid of it as well. My prediction would be the GTI, but who knows.
By all accounts the GTI would be the odd car out. But I'd hate selling a car that has been good and we've had since new. I rather just gift it to the kids even if it means having an extra car we don't really need for a couple of years.
Old 11-05-2023, 02:47 PM   #20
JST

Especially since they aren’t going to be making any of those GTIs anymore.

I’d lean toward the “get it now” camp, too. I’m a little more bullish on EV sports cars than lemming, but there are going to be plenty of those in a few years. ICE is a vanishing breed.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote