carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-04-2024, 08:10 PM   #21
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Most dealers are conjoining their 992.1 list with their 992.2 list. To many a C2, C2S, T, 4, 4S, Targa 4, and Targa 4S are a 911 regardless of what Gen it is. Therefore the list lengths do not appear to be shortening. Example, the C2S list at my dealer is still approx 2.5-3 years long.
The thing that blew my mind is each of these lists are discreet. Porsche doesn't allocate total 911 production to demand, they treat a c2 separately from a c4, separate from an s, a gts a convertible, targa, coupe. They don't care if a dealer has 30 c2s requests, 0 c2 gts and 3 base targa demand loads, that dealer will still get a1 c2s, 3 c2 gts and 3 targa gts allocations based on an arbitrary production plan.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:16 PM   #22
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The thing that blew my mind is each of these lists are discreet. Porsche doesn't allocate total 911 production to demand, they treat a c2 separately from a c4, separate from an s, a gts a convertible, targa, coupe. They don't care if a dealer has 30 c2s requests, 0 c2 gts and 3 base targa demand loads, that dealer will still get a1 c2s, 3 c2 gts and 3 targa gts allocations based on an arbitrary production plan.
Yep…

Dealers can place an ‘order demand’ with a customers specs, but it typically does not materialize into anything.

Last edited by SCA; 01-04-2024 at 09:04 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:10 PM   #23
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post

Agreed - that blows my mind as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:16 PM   #24
robg
Carmudgeon

991.2 Carrera T ownership experience

Quote:
From what I have been reading there seems to be more individuals wanting a 992.1 due to the high probability of 48V, no manual, and the full glass instrument cluster. The 48v and the no manual have many worried and rightfully so.

Right- my guess is that there are a minority of enthusiasts who care about those things and really want a .1. They’ll also be the most active on forums.

But I bet the majority of 911 buyers just want a 911 for various other reasons (the proverbial “dentist spec” or the old guys you see driving turbo cabs to the golf course). If these types of buyers weren’t the majority, Porsche wouldn’t be making the changes you described. And these are the types of buyers that will just want “latest and greatest “ (and likely don’t even know or care what’s changing on the .2 anyway other than “better tech”, “faster” and “hybrid for green cred”). That’s what I’m referring to.

robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:29 PM   #25
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Right- my guess is that there are a minority of enthusiasts who care about those things and really want a .1. They’ll also be the most active on forums.

But I bet the majority of 911 buyers just want a 911 for various other reasons (the proverbial “dentist spec” or the old guys you see driving turbo cabs to the golf course). If these types of buyers weren’t the majority, Porsche wouldn’t be making the changes you described. And these are the types of buyers that will just want “latest and greatest “ (and likely don’t even know or care what’s changing on the .2 anyway other than “better tech”, “faster” and “hybrid for green cred”). That’s what I’m referring to.

My observation over the past two years as a 911 owner, the vast majority of individuals that purchase a 911 or 718 are enthusiast. It is a totally different culture than what is now at BMW.

Edit: If BMW has proven anything recently, newer is not necessarily better. Porsche is headed in the same direction per my friend that is a factory technician.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:40 PM   #26
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
My observation over the past two years as a 911 owner, the vast majority of individuals that purchase a 911 or 718 are enthusiast. It is a totally different culture than what is now at BMW.

Edit: If BMW has proven anything recently, newer is not necessarily better. Porsche is headed in the same direction per my friend that is a factory technician.
Well, I do think that sells the BMW folks a bit short. Anything above a leased FWD 2 series or 330i, I think people are pretty deliberate about choosing BMW for its rigor as a car. They are enthusiasts in their own realm. Otherwise, there are plenty of other choices out there that are cheaper, commodity, luxe choices. They may not have reached the pinnacle of enthusiast cars, but they are on the road to get there, within their economic and practical parameters.

And, you know, I had a 718, but I preferred my 2. In my heart of hearts, I am not a roadster person. Meh, I am just really happy with my odd 4 GC. Every time I drive it, it’s fun, sporty, practical. Just great for my needs. Nothing I have driven by Porsche (Macan, Panamera, Cayenne, Boxster) has pleased me more.

But, maybe I should not drive a 911…
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:45 PM   #27
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Well, I do think that sells the BMW folks a bit short. Anything above a leased FWD 2 series or 330i, I think people are pretty deliberate about choosing BMW for its rigor as a car. They are enthusiasts in their own realm. Otherwise, there are plenty of other choices out there that are cheaper, commodity, luxe choices. They may not hav reached the pinnacle of enthusiast cars, but they are on the road to get there, within their economic and practical parameters.
My CA whom has been selling the marque for 42 years recently stated that he has definitely witnessed a shift amongst BMW consumers and likewise internally at NA. One of the large contributors to his retirement at the end of this month is the brand’s serious push towards EV.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:50 PM   #28
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
My CA whom has been selling the marque for 42 years recently stated that he has definitely witnessed a shift amongst BMW consumers and likewise internally at NA. One of the large contributors to his retirement at the end of this month is the brand’s serious push towards EV.
Well, I will probably buy one of those—eventually, Fortunately I have a few years to enjoy the last of the delightful ICEs.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:55 AM   #29
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post

Something else to keep in mind in addition to what I have previously mentioned. I believe a lot of individuals are scrambling for a 992.1 as the .2's will probably have another decent price increase. PAG has been fairly vocal that another round of price increases will be coming.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:14 AM   #30
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Something else to keep in mind in addition to what I have previously mentioned. I believe a lot of individuals are scrambling for a 992.1 as the .2's will probably have another decent price increase. PAG has been fairly vocal that another round of price increases will be coming.
Yikes!
FC is online now   Reply With Quote