carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,396
Adjusting the wagon's koni's - what a pain

The BMW wagon has single adjustable konis and they're set soft AF - the car flops side to side if you do a slalom-type maneuver. But I've been avoiding adjusting them because it's such a pain.

The fronts are blocked by a strut brace that is attached by a reverse torx bolt shown in the picture. I bought a female torx socket set and removed it to discover one front shock was set on full soft, the other 3/4 of a turn from soft.





Accessing the rear shock mounts is of course a pain in a wagon because it requires disassembling half the rear interior to get to them. But I decided to go for it and discovered it's even worse than that - they're not top adjustable (pic 2).





I believe I need to completely remove the shocks from the car as per this video. Good lord what a pain in the ass. So much for experimenting with shock adjustments.


Last edited by rumatt; 01-12-2018 at 06:37 PM.
rumatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 8,683
If you do remove them, remember that the bottom nut is torqued to something like 25 ft-lbs., and that it’ll snap the stud off the shock if you go over.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,396
Thanks Nick.

I'll probably wait until they're no snow in the forecast before I touch them. I'm sure something will go wrong.

Have you done any experimenting with the settings? Given how annoying it is to adjust them, getting the initial setting right is kinda important.
rumatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
Nick M3
Old Fart
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Thanks Nick.

I'll probably wait until they're no snow in the forecast before I touch them. I'm sure something will go wrong.

Have you done any experimenting with the settings? Given how annoying it is to adjust them, getting the initial setting right is kinda important.
I’d try to find the Dinan setup sheet and probably dial it a little back from there.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I’d try to find the Dinan setup sheet and probably dial it a little back from there.
Cool. I didn't find the dinan setup sheet itself but I found a few threads discussing it.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582184

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...95&postcount=3
rumatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:05 AM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,754
for The fronts, can you drill holes in the brace above the adjustment tabs? You could then buy or make a tool (or even use pliers) to get to and turn the tabs.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,396
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. But I suspect I'll be adjusting them rarely-to-never once I find a setting I like.
rumatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
ff
.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
one front shock was set on full soft, the other 3/4 of a turn from soft.
Nice, you're all set up for NASCAR! Now go find a circle that you can spend 4 hours driving around. ;-)
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #9
rumatt
Mugwump
 
rumatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, E91 325xi, Chevy Colorado, Cayman R
Location: NY
Posts: 16,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Nice, you're all set up for NASCAR! Now go find a circle that you can spend 4 hours driving around. ;-)
rumatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:14 AM   #10
Terry Kennedy
There and back again
 
Terry Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Location: New York
Posts: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
The fronts are blocked by a strut brace that is attached by a reverse torx bolt shown in the picture. I bought a female torx socket set and removed it to discover one front shock was set on full soft, the other 3/4 of a turn from soft.
Yikes! Where have you been parking this car, inside a brine tank?

The M3 strut brace (Bimmerfest group buy 15-odd years ago) is actually pretty good - it has multiple pieces, and the ends that go on the towers are round with openings in the middle (and nice plastic cover pieces to keep crud out). The only drawback is that you get a little sliding where those pieces bolt to the actual strut brace, but that movement isn't in the axis that really matters.



Quote:
Accessing the rear shock mounts is of course a pain in a wagon because it requires disassembling half the rear interior to get to them. But I decided to go for it and discovered it's even worse than that - they're not top adjustable (pic 2).
The wagon is the only varient that conceals them under trim. Get a set of Rogue Engineering RSM's and you'll never have to tear the trunk apart again:

Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Koni FSD's? Sharp11 Car Talk 23 01-24-2006 05:55 PM
Anyone need SA Koni's for a 330? rumatt Car Talk 0 11-21-2005 07:16 PM
Koni's rock rumatt Going Faster 23 07-25-2005 04:06 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC