carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
beater for equ

I need something to complement the sheer awesomeness of the Cayman (and well spare it from salt and bad weather/roads). I want some luxury and possibly awd so I think it will be an audi. I'm also not going to do crazy miles on this (probably 3000 - 6000/yr) so it doesn't need to be low mileage. I would like it to be reliable though.

1. 98-01 a4 2.8qm. The good: Had an 00, liked it, has lumbar. The bad: Now it's a bit dated, seats are really flat. The clutch sucked, maybe still does. Likely price $8 - 13k.

2. 03 a4 3.0qm. Will drive soon so no comments. Seats seem better, cpo available. Probably too much money for my needs. Likely price $21k.

3. 92-95 ur-s4/s6. A classic so it's cool, 5 cyl 2.2 turbo said to be really reliable. Good torque. Have never driven it. Really really dated and low mileage ones are hard to find. $6 - 12k (for a pristine one).

Any suggestions or comments? Open to non-audis. Have thought about 87-91 325's or 95 m3's but I don't think they complement the 987S as well as these cars.

Last edited by equ; 10-10-2006 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Perhaps this should be towed to the P.A. sub-forum, I was trying to post there.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Don't respond here please, I'll continue the waffling on the perseveration forum where it belongs.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
How about a ZHP?

EDIT: a mod can move your thread
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
How about a high-mileage '02 3er xi?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Wouldn't a zhp be perfect? Umm, after two, I think I'm done for a while.

FC: I've thought of pretty much exactly what you mentioned. They don't seem as cheap as audis and I'm worried about missing the zhp while in them. Sure I can miss the zhp while in an audi but the associations will be strong in the 3ers.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
JST

How about a new GTI? Not AWD and slightly more spendy than what you've listed, but would make a fine city car and can easily get around in NY weather with all-season tires. If you are feeling adventurous, a used GTI 1.8T can be had cheap and really is a great little commuter.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

So I went to an audi dealer yesterday to check out two cars. Once again recall that, as FC puts it, back when I didn't know better, I owned a 00 a4 2.8 for 4+ years happily.

1. 01 a4 2.8, 67k mi, $14k
2. 03 a4 3.0, 45k mi, $23k, cpo, sports pack

2. is kinda out of budget (I mean not really but spending that much is so unnecessary at this point) but it looked great in photos, also I've never experienced the 3.0 and barely the new platform.

1. was out of the pic instantly as I could see the car had had an accident. I drove it anyway. The clutch was engaging maddeningly high, I don't remember how bad my 2.8 was when new but I hate that this is going to potentially kill a good beater for me. I found the gear ratio/torque acceptable, especially for the price. Handled soft but ok. Once again, the deal killers seem to be clutch point and front seats (the cushions are so short, I feel like I'm sitting on a pew).

2. was the surprise. While it was more solid, quieter and had better seats and clutch, it was less fun. Seemed to turn worse with the stiff ride somehow not helping the car stay flat. The most annoying part was the engine and its match to the 6speed. No torque, very very short 1st gear, in general an uneasy car to drive. Sure I'm biased towards the b5, but I really felt it was not an improvement in many ways. I don't think I had disliked the 1.8t in the new platform this much.

On return I saw an imola yellow b5s4 which stole my heart (but not yet my wallet - though when I live in some mediterranean country and become a sponsor of the local p.d., I may go for a yellow Cayman and a yellow s4 to match ) Actually it was tiptronic, so I couldn't test the clutch. Everything from the b5 shape that I like, to the bolstered seats (unavailable on a4) to the gauges and the only acceptable wood trim in a sporty car called out to me. The previous owner had put a nice, subtle exhaust and not oversized bbs rk's. Beautiful.

So there is my favorite before driving. Cons against it:

1. Theft in my area (good neighborhood but still ny/north nj and the porsche will be in a garage and this car will be out). Even my a4 was attempted stolen. I absolutely cannot get yellow or candy blue (nogaro). I may have to debadge, perhaps even replace bumpers and wheels so it looks like an a4, though thieves are probably not that stupid. Not sure about security measures so some audi forum searching is in order.

2. Turbo reliability. I hear bad stories. There must be a way around it - like buying one with already replaced turbos.

3. Clutch/shifter/ratios? If it doesn't improve on the 2.8 clutch, I may nix it. Or if I locate a 2.8 that is driveable...

I could totally see that the zhp has a better suspension and a better only car for me. but I do think the b5s4 complements the cayman better.

I think overall I'd like to stay in the 'teens. Are there any subies I should check out? I think I'd miss the hwy luxury of the audi and would still be prone to theft with wrx'es...
Old 10-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
So I went to an audi dealer yesterday to check out two cars. Once again recall that, as FC puts it, back when I didn't know better, I owned a 00 a4 2.8 for 4+ years happily.

1. 01 a4 2.8, 67k mi, $14k
2. 03 a4 3.0, 45k mi, $23k, cpo, sports pack

2. is kinda out of budget (I mean not really but spending that much is so unnecessary at this point) but it looked great in photos, also I've never experienced the 3.0 and barely the new platform.

1. was out of the pic instantly as I could see the car had had an accident. I drove it anyway. The clutch was engaging maddeningly high, I don't remember how bad my 2.8 was when new but I hate that this is going to potentially kill a good beater for me. I found the gear ratio/torque acceptable, especially for the price. Handled soft but ok. Once again, the deal killers seem to be clutch point and front seats (the cushions are so short, I feel like I'm sitting on a pew).

2. was the surprise. While it was more solid, quieter and had better seats and clutch, it was less fun. Seemed to turn worse with the stiff ride somehow not helping the car stay flat. The most annoying part was the engine and its match to the 6speed. No torque, very very short 1st gear, in general an uneasy car to drive. Sure I'm biased towards the b5, but I really felt it was not an improvement in many ways. I don't think I had disliked the 1.8t in the new platform this much.

On return I saw an imola yellow b5s4 which stole my heart (but not yet my wallet - though when I live in some mediterranean country and become a sponsor of the local p.d., I may go for a yellow Cayman and a yellow s4 to match ) Actually it was tiptronic, so I couldn't test the clutch. Everything from the b5 shape that I like, to the bolstered seats (unavailable on a4) to the gauges and the only acceptable wood trim in a sporty car called out to me. The previous owner had put a nice, subtle exhaust and not oversized bbs rk's. Beautiful.

So there is my favorite before driving. Cons against it:

1. Theft in my area (good neighborhood but still ny/north nj and the porsche will be in a garage and this car will be out). Even my a4 was attempted stolen. I absolutely cannot get yellow or candy blue (nogaro). I may have to debadge, perhaps even replace bumpers and wheels so it looks like an a4, though thieves are probably not that stupid. Not sure about security measures so some audi forum searching is in order.

2. Turbo reliability. I hear bad stories. There must be a way around it - like buying one with already replaced turbos.

3. Clutch/shifter/ratios? If it doesn't improve on the 2.8 clutch, I may nix it. Or if I locate a 2.8 that is driveable...

I could totally see that the zhp has a better suspension and a better only car for me. but I do think the b5s4 complements the cayman better.

I think overall I'd like to stay in the 'teens. Are there any subies I should check out? I think I'd miss the hwy luxury of the audi and would still be prone to theft with wrx'es...
You don't want a WRX. They drive like tin boxes and have very little low end (at least the used ones that you'd be looking at). A Legacy GT or Forrester XT might be just the ticket, if you can find one with a stick...but I don't know how easy that is or what those cars go for.

Here's a thought--buy an R32. Yes, it is (much) more expensive than you are considering, but the way those things are clinging to their value you can probably turn around and sell it in 6-12 months for little loss.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Foresters and Outbacks are good choices, they come with a stick, they're great in winter, reliable and no one will want to steal it

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

Sensible suggestions, I guess I should take a look at the 1.8t gti. The audi is a bit of an overkill. New gti makes no sense as I'll be doing minimal miles. This is really going to be a car that's going to sit around a fair bit.

Agreed on the wrx, I was going to include them in the search for completion but my gf already has an impreza (older, cooler one ) and I feel very little for the wrx interior/exterior. Really dislike the forester. The Leg GT would be an awesome complement to the Cayman, but once again I'd be buying an 05 car to park it. I guess I'll look at the other legacy/outbacks. Are 96-99 to be avoided for the 2.5L issue?

The r32 is a non-starter, happened to drive one last weekend. Felt really bad after the Cayman - even worse than the zhp felt. I advised my friend who owns it to sell at this high price point.

I see that people are thinking of sporty cars, but I really have that covered with the croc. I really think the 1.8gti/bigger subies are the best suggestions so far - though 2.8 audis are quite cheap. Maybe if I buy s4 seats and hack the clutch of the 2.8?

Does anyone here have b5s4 experience?

Last edited by equ; 10-11-2006 at 12:01 PM.