carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #1
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

200-mile EM1 Civic Si

https://jalopnik.com/what-the-perfec...ike-1825392697

I never owned one of these, and at that point in my life I was decidedly anti-ricer, which turned me off to any version of this car that had been body-modded to hell (which was a lot of them). But at its core, this was a pretty amazing car, and I kinda wish I'd spent some time behind the wheel of one.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
My buddy bought one of these a few years after high school. It was.. Underwhelming, I thought. Good basic transportation but it didn't feel special, even at the time.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
Alan
Carmudgeon

Kinda remember this car like John did .. I will say this brought back a memory of me of getting my 99 Acura CL 3.0 ... kept it for almost 2 years before getting my 2001 330ci which is the reason I’m actually a member of this board as well as many others here.

It all started with bimmerfest where a lot of us all met back in 2000 waiting for our E46’s
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

IMO, the Civic Si peaked with the EF. Ever since, they've just added size and weight which has taken away what made the Honda Si models so much fun.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
IMO, the Civic Si peaked with the EF. Ever since, they've just added size and weight which has taken away what made the Honda Si models so much fun.
The new Civic Type R does look pretty cool and I've read some great reviews about it.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
The new Civic Type R does look pretty cool and I've read some great reviews about it.
It LOOKS ugly as sin. I've heard mixed things from people that have them or have driven them in anger. It's definitely a unique and special car.

It's not a car that has any real realationship to what made Honda Si models special, though.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
It LOOKS ugly as sin. I've heard mixed things from people that have them or have driven them in anger. It's definitely a unique and special car.

It's not a car that has any real realationship to what made Honda Si models special, though.
The new one looks like the bowel movement out of a disgruntled Go-bot, or something. No thanks.

Not sure if this is a generational thing or not, but the EM1 is the high point in my books. I mean, yes, ITR and so on, but when it comes to Civics, I feel like subsequent Si versions kinda missed the boat. The one that came after this one was truly lame and easily eclipsed by the SVT Focus. (Remember that one? That was a fun little car, one of the cars I regret letting go.) After that, Honda lost its way with styling, and despite the addition of turbos and other nice things, they've yet to catch my attention like the '99-'00.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Not sure if this is a generational thing or not, but the EM1 is the high point in my books. I mean, yes, ITR and so on, but when it comes to Civics, I feel like subsequent Si versions kinda missed the boat. The one that came after this one was truly lame and easily eclipsed by the SVT Focus. (Remember that one? That was a fun little car, one of the cars I regret letting go.) After that, Honda lost its way with styling, and despite the addition of turbos and other nice things, they've yet to catch my attention like the '99-'00.
Quote:
Did you have much chance to drive Sis prior to the sixth gens? 4th gens were way smaller, lighter, and tons more fun. 5th gen was somewhere in between, but clearly past peak and it's been a slide ever since.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
It LOOKS ugly as sin.
I think the new one looks REALLY good ... amazing how we have similar taste in cars but can be so far apart on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
The new one looks like the bowel movement out of a disgruntled Go-bot, or something. No thanks.

I don't really know what the different generations are with the Civics but I agree it is a generational thing ... I recall the one time I ever looked at and almost got a Civic was back in late 93 looking at 1994 models, I was going to get one for what was then my Fiancé (now my wife) ... we ended up with a Honda Accord EX Coupe, I loved that car !!

One Honda car I always liked was the Prelude ... too bad they stopped making them.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:58 AM   #10
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I like Civics and probably always will... I wish they made an EK hatchback in Si form. I like the looks of the newest version too.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote